Northerners - XC Schooling with fence in water??

Hels_Bells

Visit site
I think we may have to face our first "in water" fence in our next event and while Rem is pretty good with water it would be nice to have practiced beforehand!! ;)

I can't think of anywhere I've been to that has a fence like this, so we may have to cast our net further afield. Does anyone know of anywhere in my vague area (N. Yorkshire) that might have one???

Princecharming

Visit site
Craven have had one in there for a long time so I can't imagine it will change any time soon. I don't remember somerford having one actually in the water...?

soupdragon71

Visit site
We turned up at Aske 1 to see a jump in the water - never done one before and was a bit :eek: about it but it rode really well. S did do a bit of a double take at it but jumped it lovely. If your horse is good about water I'm sure you'll be fine - may need to ride positively at it! Sorry, don't know about anywhere that has one for training - would have thought Somerford would have one but can't be certain:)

jumptoit

Visit site
Todburn at Morpeth have one but the rest of the course isn't particularly impressive imo, Foxberry have had previously so it might be worth giving them a ring and Craven have had in the past too and I'm sure if you ring you'll be able to find out if they do now as well :).

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Thanks SO much everyone - I knew I could rely on you! I will check with Craven but have been planning to make a trip there soon as we haven't been before!

BN - thanks for the info re Osberton, not 100% sure how far it is but will look into it and a water lesson sounds like a brilliant thing!!

JTI - hadn't heard about Todburn before so might take a look into it anyway. I went to Foxberry back in the spring and there wasn't one but also worth checking out as it's not far from us!

CM - I have GOT horsequencher samples, but had tried the "bring your own nasty trough water to event" trick at Richmond 2 and it seemed to work quite well!! (Well he actually drank some even though it wasn't loads). But planning to try some HQ on his next overnight indoors and see if he goes for it!

Mrs Pink

Visit site
Craven's was a skinny ish log when we went about a month ago, I do have a pic/vid of it on my camera somewhere, can try and send it too you if you want :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Doesn't northallerton have one in the water - its not brilliant, but there certainly used to be a fence there. Don't think Helen Bell has one at her new place but might be worth an ask - ditto Epworth (although check everything is pinned down before you go there!).

Maybe worth ringing Foxberry Chasers and Eleanor Mercer, also checking the UK chasers course as I think they maybe used to have one?

http://www.countrysports.thorntonlodgefarm.co.uk/equestrian-uk-chasers-course-29.shtml

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Doesn't northallerton have one in the water - its not brilliant, but there certainly used to be a fence there. Don't think Helen Bell has one at her new place but might be worth an ask - ditto Epworth (although check everything is pinned down before you go there!).

Maybe worth ringing Foxberry Chasers and Eleanor Mercer, also checking the UK chasers course as I think they maybe used to have one

Thanks SF - I haven't seen the water at N/al since the BE event there earlier in the year, but am fairly certain that there hasn't been one in the past. Also pretty certain Helen doesn't have one as I was there earlier in the year and also know for sure Eleanor doesn't do XC schooling except in a lesson (and again pretty sure there isn't one!). But will def give foxberry a shout if Craven don't still have theirs! Thanks!

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Craven's was a skinny ish log when we went about a month ago, I do have a pic/vid of it on my camera somewhere, can try and send it too you if you want :)

Oooh - sounds perfect!! Have to say that Rem locked on to the skinny in the water at Aske last year (it was in the Novice and we were doing 100) so hopefully he will be fine with one.... it's just never ideal to practice these things first time at an event!! If you do find your vid that would be v kind just to take a look!! :D

Mrs Pink

Visit site
Ok, will sort later if that's ok, best do some work first ;):D They do have a trail day on this Monday, but prob best to check with David that they fence is in the water as he changes it all the time

And you're right no water at Eleanor Mercer unfortunately

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I haven't been to eleanors when there's been a water, but knew she was doing one and thought it might be worth a go if you hadn't already :)

I'm sure northallerton did have one, in the midsts of time though maybe - I'm sure I've done it! :D

georgiegirl

Visit site
northallerton dont have one in the water currently (at least they didnt two months ago when we went)

it might be worth ringing helen bell and seeing if she has put one at her new place or if not im pretty positive she will know of one!

photo_jo

Visit site
Eeek what the heck is it? Going there soon and shall need to make sure I avoid it :eek:

Perhaps a tad exaggerated :D top end novice int anyway-it' is one of these
Seb.jpg

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Last time I went to Epworth the boat was a fair bit away from the water's edge, they might have moved it though.

What Mark does is he puts knock down fences on the edge of the river, starting off a few strides away and then moving them closer till you're jumping in and out over them. We have fillers/brushes etc as well to make them look more solid, or put a fence in the water, plus there are steps up and down into seperate bit of water, and a small jump with a drop into that too. And a little double of ditches, a water ditch and a few portable XC fences (nothing too exciting there though!) I think I've got a few photos on my facebook, PM me if you want them or Mark's number :)

diggerbez

Visit site
However it is more the CCI***end of eventing rather than pre nov/ novice-(Did notice Diggerbez chose not to jump it!;):rolleyes:)

he he- i've never been in that water at somerford and i didn't intend to start this week ;)

also Eland Lodge used to have one as well but probably a bit far for you OP

Badders

Visit site
I would second BN's idea of Mark's water-schooling, we've done it often and it''s great fun and great practice, just makes me grin to think of it!:D it is North Notts rather than Yorks though, surely there must be something closer to you? Isn't there a water at Manor Farm nr Howden? it's been such a long time since we've been there I can't remember!:rolleyes: At least it's in Yorkshire!

wench

Visit site
Danethorpe near newark have some. Again probably a bit far, but there is definatly one there.

Whoever mentioned Epworth, builder that installs a lot of the fences comes on here...

Gamebird

Visit site
Osberton's do-able for you. It's right on the A1 and about an hour south of the A64/M1 junction on the A1.

Otherwise how about going to a normal water but taking a heavy pole and a couple of blocks? I've done that before to create a hanging log/drop in on a course that only had a drop.

If it's Aske I shouldn't worry too much - I've done it on several horses who've never seen that sort of thing before and none of them seemed perturbed. Remember the drag effect and don't bother trying to look for a stride, just take whatever you get.