Nose bleed

air78

www.ctwequine.com
Big lad has managed to have another accident!
blush.gif

I brought him in from the field last night and his nose was bleeding. It wasn't even a trickle though, more regular drops, and was just from one nostril. The blood is not very bright red, but it's not dark either (does than make sense?!).
He also had a cut on his forehead, between the eyes (no blood) so I'm gessing he's been kicked or really clobbered himself on the fence somehow. He was fine in himself, let me brush his face happily and eating his head off, so I put him to bed.
The yard rang this morning to say it was still bleeding. I called the vet, who said not to worry about it until tomorrow, as it wasn't alot of blood.
I went to see him to night and again he is fine in himself, but it is still bleeding
frown.gif
- thats 24 hours minimum now.... should I be worried? Has this happened to anyone else?

RachelB

Visit site
My horse is prone to nosebleeds with either the tiniest knock to the head or with hard work. It is always only a trickle for about a couple of hours at most and then it stops (it can stop and start over the next couple of days though). I have a specific vet at my vet practice who I can call about it but have never *touch wood* had to call her directly as an emergency as it's only a trickle. I imagine it will be fine, see what happens by morning and get the vet out to check him over if you're concerned. My horse certainly hasn't died yet! More worried about her lame legs than her bloody nose!
smile.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
Yes!

My horse collided with another last year and broke his nose- blood streaming for well over 24 hours. Vet warned me at the time that he expected it to carry on for several days so I wouldn't worry too much about the bleeding if your vet is happy.

See how he is in the morning.

Also re the colour- don't worry if it goes bright red then stops and goes darker etc- it will start clotting and then if he snorts it'll start again.

Hard not to panic when you see all the blood but if your vet isn't worried I would relax
smile.gif

air78

www.ctwequine.com
Thanks thats put my mind at rest a bit.
smile.gif

I looked at pervious posts, but everyone elses horses seem to stop fairly quickly. I think he has been 'blowing' quite a bit as there is blood sprayed round his stable door- gross
grin.gif

I hope it has stopped by tomorrow, as I really don't want to have to take him in to be scoped- although theres always something wrong with him- it's usually a storm in a teacup, and I'd rather not unsettle him.

claire1976

Visit site
My TB mare regularly suffers minor nose bleeds. Mainly during summer after getting grass seeds up her nose and then snorting them out really hard!
Vet says its common in TB's due to thin skin in nostrils.

air78

www.ctwequine.com
You'll be pleased to hear he is fine, the bleeding had stopped by this morning, and when I went to see him tonight you couldn't even tell he had had a bleed at all- and he's grey! I don't know how he managed such a clean up feat.
So, I though I'd ride him as he's missed two days with the nosebleed. I had in mind a nice quiet walk out up the bridle path, but he was full of it.....clearly felling very well! In the end I had to canter to settle him (he was jogging so much anyway) he cantered beautifully, but I had visions of blood flying back through the air! LOL.

wanderer

Visit site
my horse got a kick to his head and had the same prob, i got the vet as like you i was really worried as it was trickle bleeding for 3 days, dont know if what i did helped or that it would have stopped on its own but i put a wet towel over his nose, also my vet wasnt concerned so just had to trust him and my horse as been fine since.