Nose bleeds help!!

Madz123

Visit site
Hi guys just wondering if anyone could give me some advice I have a 21 yr old cob and the last twice I've rode him he's come back with a nose bleed should I be concerned I know they do have nosebleeds so wanted to see if anyone else has this problem, we only trotted and had a tiny canter so didn't do to much work thank you :)

dianchi

Visit site
How much blood was there, quite often my mare has a lil nosebleed but its a tiny dribble and stops as quick as it starts.

Does he seem unhappy in himself?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
One of our horses occasionally gets a nose bleed when worked, it's only a little bit & it's of no real concern. I've mentioned it to my vet & he's of the same opinion. If the bleed is heavy then you need to follow up with a vet visit but if only a bit don't worry.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
I would get it checked if he hasn't had one before, especially at his age. It could be something innocent like excessive dust and irritation, or there might be something else going on that will need a medical eye cast over it.

Madz123

Visit site
Hello thank you all for replying I have taken him out twice since posting this and only walked and trot, he hasn't had a nose bleed since but he hasn't been sweated up could it be something to do with him being too hot possibly?? He is fine in himself x

finngle

Visit site
Nosebleeds can occur when blood pressure in the lungs is too high and a vessel bursts, more commonly noticed in racehorses.
Probably isn't a big problem unless persistent and affecting performance but if you are worried have a chat with your vet