Nosebleed during exercise?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Was lunging PF today before riding her, and she when I stopped I noticed blood in her nostril. Quite alot, but not dripping. I washed it and that was that; no more blood. I rode her afterwards and there was no more bleeding.
I've heard of exercise-induced pulmonary haemorraging, but would that continue to bleed?
Not worried (should I be??) just curious!

wvfoxylady

Visit site
Hiya I have been told before that small nosebleeds are common in horses. If it keeps recurring then seek veterinary help. I had a cob that had two in the four years that I had him and called the vet out on both occasions and he said that it was nothing to worry about.
If it was dark blood then she could have knocked herself in the stable etc and when she has started to exercise it has worked its way out. Or she could have ruptured a capillirary during exercise.
However my current mare had persistent nosebleeds and I had her scoped and the vet diagnosed her with COPD, but she also had alot of not and was also blowing out blood clots in her stable.
Personally I would just keep an eye on her and if you notice any blood in her stable or she does it again during exercise the call the vet.Hope this helps.Good Luck.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Thanks, that's very helpful
smile.gif
She's never bled before (not in my presence, anyway) but I will keep an eye on her
smile.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Nosebleeds are usually not serious - the key is whether it's one nostril or two bleeding. One means that the damage is near the nostrils....two bleeding means it comes from the lungs or deeper in the resp tract and should be checked out by a vet.
Hope this helps
S