Nosebleed during gastroscopy - Is this normal?

lleyn_ewe

Visit site
As title, just curious really. Horse had gastroscopy yesterday and during the scope had a rather large nosebleed, from the nostril that the scope had been inserted. This is the first time any of our horses have had to be scoped, so I'm not that familiar with the procedure, first hand. It stopped after about 5 mins.

Vet didn't seem too bothered, but I'm curious to see if this is indeed fairly normal, as vet said it was.

Thanks in advance.

ETA, just posted this in the veterinary section too.

fburton

Visit site
That's what I thought TBH. Would it be caused by a burst blood vessel or similar, due to foreign object in nasal passage?
Basically that's it, yes. The mucosa isn't designed to have something hard rubbed against it, so is easily damaged. It also heals quickly.

npage123

Visit site
I've seen it at a previous yard where a gorgeous huge ID had a gastroscopy done. The vet explained the procedure before-hand and warned not to be alarmed if there are bleeding during/afterwards. He assured the owner that the bleeding would soon stop. It took a while and there was quite a profuse bleeding, but it did eventually stop. As your horse's nose bleed started at the time of the procedure being carried out, you've got the reassurance that you know exactly what the cause of the bleed is. No need to worry about it :)

fuzzymooch

Visit site
Had D nasal drenched during a colic episode many years ago (he was part Arab and had narrow nasal passages anyway) he had a heavy nosebleed but was fine after. Hope your furry is ok.

lleyn_ewe

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies. It didn't concern me, but I wanted to know that it isn't unheard of. The horse in question happens to be a TB, & a rather delicate one at that (aren't they all!) but didn't seem too bothered by it.