Nostalgia - Riding in 1960s

KingfisherBlue

Visit site
I wonder if anyone else here remembers Glebe Farm Riding Stables, at Glenfield, Leicestershire, during the mid-1960s period? I learnt to ride in 1965, when the place was run by Mrs Williams and her daughter, called 'Mannie' for short. Other adult staff were Andrew Robb, who had a light grey gelding called Palladin, and an older guy, called James (Jim) Sutton.

In 1966, Mrs Williams moved to Purton House at Purton, near Swindon, Wiltshire. It was a beautiful, listed 'manor' type house, where my friend and I spent a totally IDYLLIC week in July of that year.

As for Glebe farm, on the Williams' departure, a Scottish family moved in. I vaguely recall they had three sons, two of whom were called Douglas and Jeffrey. Can't recall the other one.

Would love the memories of anyone who rode at either of those places. Or ANY riding lesson memories from that era, when you could gallop bareback round the paddocks without 'Health & Safety' having a panic attack, or proprietors fearing being sued! :eek:

Please note, that that last remark is not a criticism of H & S as such. Rather, times were just different then...that's all.

KingfisherBlue

Visit site
I don't believe for one minute that I am the oldest person on this forum. No way! Somebody out there must also have learned to ride in the '60s
:)

Tammytoo

Visit site
Well I did - but there was a similar post not long ago, so i guess some people are all reminisced out!

I learnt to ride in the 60s on beach ponies that we wintered out. Tatty bridles with their names on the browbands (my fave, was Betty!) and felt saddle pads. I hunted in my school blazer and wellies and no-one batted an eyelid. As stubble fields were left all winter and not ploughed until Feb/March we would hurtle round the countryside in the dark after school - velvet covered cork riding caps twanging on their elastic. I never had a formal lesson until I was in my twenties, but I had a seat like a limpit.

It all seemed to b e much more fun then:)

KingfisherBlue

Visit site
Well I did - but there was a similar post not long ago, so i guess some people are all reminisced out!

Ah, I had a feeling that might be the case.

I never had a formal lesson until I was in my twenties, but I had a seat like a limpit. It all seemed to be much more fun then:)

Yes, it was a lot of fun, for sure. One certainly did learn 'stickability' through riding all kinds of ponies in open paddocks and fields..........and not a manege in sight.....let alone an indoor school.

Thanks for sharing. Hope to hear some more stories
:)

Follychoppins

Visit site
This is just the sort of thing I love to read. Riding the "old school" way! I learned to ride in the 1960's at Worlebury Riding School with Sherry and Shelagh Tonkin. We learned on the leading rein hacking - walking trotting and cantering from day one, riding on the road and in the woods in all weathers. Scaredy cats and fair weather riders being swiftly sifted out! It made a man of you, no messing whether you were 6 or 16. Later I was lucky enough to be invited to become a "staff" member. This meant I was in the privileged position of teaching hundreds of youngsters to ride. I used to take the "half hour" with little tots in riding hats with elastic (love it!) on shetlands. I was on foot, they swiftly learned rising trot with the assistance of a hand on the back of the trousers. On the hour my trusty steed had a learner either one or both sides, the six of us working together in a purposeful manner with I can honestly say very few fallers. Going in the school ( a muddy circle in the field) was considered boring - 35 years on I feel the same about that, we all wanted to ride out and be as good as Sherry who with a withering glance or comment could bring down even the most arrogant stuck up riders to a level of modesty! Heehee :) We wore hacking jackets, shirts and ties. No sniff of goretex or fleece. When I reached 40 I went back to riding having had the childbirth break and shortly found myself in the position of being in the company of a nappy chestnut mare who I ended up buying and working with, all my knowledge being put to the test in real life, not in some dull arena. My OH will tell you I have a sharp mind and a critical eye when it comes to poor riding, the times I have said we would never have been allowed to do that, or what is the point of 20 hours being walked up and down the road on a leading rein with someone who is interested in chatting to their friend and not instructing - Eddie Izzard says the horses are child wearing - I could not agree more! ( I should add I am a teacher now too). I would not have wanted to learn any other way. It was tough, it was right! Bareback jumping, round the world at a walk, vaulting, scissors ( showing my age now) we were confident and had bums like glue! Then there was carrying haybales to the fields across the horses withers bareback to the field in just a headcollar - most of us could manage 2! Oh dear I will have to stop. This is making me feel very old and wistful. I will just say though lucky old us learning to ride before the HSE took the fun out of it all and having a manege and performing multiple changes became the order of the day. What is the point having a horse if you can't actually go anywhere on it? Now I will stop before I get banned :)

KingfisherBlue

Visit site
I would not have wanted to learn any other way. It was tough, it was right! Bareback jumping, round the world at a walk, vaulting, scissors ( showing my age now) we were confident and had bums like glue! :)

Great fun to hear your story, Follychoppins!

Yes, we learned to ride 'all sorts' and to climb straight back on when we took a fall.

Happy days!

humblepie

Visit site
Don't know about Glebe House but used to go to pony club rallies and Purton Show at Purton House in the mid 60s. Won my first cup there.

dreamcometrue

Visit site
I started riding in 1966.

We learned by hacking and reading books. We galloped, jumped, rode bareback etc without any lessons whatsoever. What's more, we never fell off in those days. Nor did we suffer from any nerves or lack of confidence.

Who had heard of dressage in those days?

KingfisherBlue

Visit site
We learned by hacking and reading books.

Yes, lots of hacking, including roadwork, but not with the mad traffic we have today.

As for books, yes I read as much as I could about horsemanship. I was also inspired by the character of Jill in Ruby Ferguson's series of books. I'm sure that these books will have been written about elsewhere in the forum, but they're always worth a mention.

I also remember the thrilll of getting the latest issue magazines, such as 'Riding' and 'Pony' magazine. I also managed to get the occasional copy of Horse & Hound.

KingfisherBlue

Visit site
Don't know about Glebe House but used to go to pony club rallies and Purton Show at Purton House in the mid 60s. Won my first cup there.

Do you remember which family lived at Purton House at that time?

What did you win the cup for? It's always lovely to win a trophy, and a nice reward for all the hard work we put in prior to going to a show.

Follychoppins

Visit site
I am giggling at "Whoever heard of dressage?" Was anyone interested? Of course not! I remember the excitement of getting proper riding clothes, mostly mail order as it was all my parents could afford. We used to get stuff from Jacatex. I had rubber "top" boots, breeches in a stout hardwearing twill fabric that were always too short as I was so skinny - hence the long boots so it didn't matter and a proper riding mac which got "passed on" when I outgrew it. However I never outgrew ( actually I never grew really) my sisters mac which we kept until a few years ago when due to storing in the damp it went mouldy. I had yellow cotton gloves and a Harry Hall hacking jacket which I lent to someone at the new yard a few years ago for a show and it got "lost" I am still annoyed :( My velvet hat came from my Uncle, fitted beautifully and had a twangy chin strap I used to put over the peak when not required lol! :) I remember the invention of "2 way stretch" jodhs and had one of the earliest budget pairs from the local tack shop. We didn't have the money for the latest this and that, let alone a pony BUT...we were fabulous riders as we rode such a variety of mounts on a daily basis. Now I have my own old bag it feels "funny" riding anything different even my other fat lad as I am so used to grumpy. I used to think it was my Dads excuse not to buy me a pony as he told me you will be a much better rider not just riding one. I see too much all the gear and no idea these days. Now I must go and look out my Manual of Horsemanship, Keeping a pony at grass ( Both BHS books) and a bit of Peter Churchill. Mind how you go now, heels down, toes up, sit up straight haha those were the days :)

KingfisherBlue

Visit site
I remember the excitement of getting proper riding clothes, mostly mail order as it was all my parents could afford. We used to get stuff from Jacatex.

Haha, yes I got my first jodhpurs from Jacatex. They were the 'baggy top' type. I thought they were fab, but when I look at pictures now, it makes me laugh!

I remember the invention of "2 way stretch" jodhs and had one of the earliest budget pairs from the local tack shop.

Yes, I remember getting my first pair. They were a better fit than the baggy, bedford cord ones!

Now I must go and look out my Manual of Horsemanship, Keeping a pony at grass ( Both BHS books) and a bit of Peter Churchill. Mind how you go now, heels down, toes up, sit up straight haha those were the days :)

Yes, I had those books too. My strongest memory is when I was about nine years years old, memorising the 'points of the horse' and also the different breeds in The Observer's Book of Horses and Ponies by R S Summerhays.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
I started riding in 1966.

We learned by hacking and reading books. We galloped, jumped, rode bareback etc without any lessons whatsoever. What's more, we never fell off in those days. Nor did we suffer from any nerves or lack of confidence.

Who had heard of dressage in those days?

I learned in the 60s too, 67 I started. I had never heard of dressage but we did used to do flat work to improve stride etc in jumping.

I fell off, a lot. Learned on a really stroppy Shetland mare! I was taught by an old fashioned army instructor type, you did not have stirrups until you could ride without them, you learned to ride without reins, jumped without them too. God help you if you blamed the pony. Always, no matter how cold or wet you were pony came first. I remember coming in from hunting and being so wet and cold that I was shaking so much I could not make my lad's bran mash up. I got shouted at!

I remember riding horses to and from fields rather than leading them.

Oh dear I am getting old!
FDC

Shantara

Visit site
I'm so jealous :( Although we sometimes get away with some 'mad' things at the yard, living in a health and safety society, it's hard and bl**dy frustrating.
Gosh, I wonder how ever did horses and people manage to survive so long without health and safety in place!

Tammytoo

Visit site
Oh my god yes, I'd forgotten about Jacatex! I had joddy boots with wrap around straps, hacking jacket, riding hat, mac and joddies from them.

Observers book of horses and ponies - still got it!

Teach Yourself Horse Management by Capt Hayes (?), lost that one but I do remember part of the ration for a hunter in full work being 181bs of rolled oats! I don't remember badly behaved or fat horses either.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Oh my god yes, I'd forgotten about Jacatex! I had joddy boots with wrap around straps, hacking jacket, riding hat, mac and joddies from them.

Observers book of horses and ponies - still got it!

Teach Yourself Horse Management by Capt Hayes (?), lost that one but I do remember part of the ration for a hunter in full work being 181bs of rolled oats! I don't remember badly behaved or fat horses either.

Now I am really going to sound old but the reason there were no behaviour problems or fat horses was because we rode them, day in day out no matter the weather. If you hacked out it wasn't some silly trot around the block you were out for at least 2 hours. I remember regularly going out at the weekends, in spring and autumn before the season started, with my old lad at 8am and getting back at 5pm and they weren't blowing because they were fit! My boy did at least 4 days a week hacking, 2 hunting (school allowed hunting as part of "games") and 1 day flat work to keep turns/ stride etc sharp. In summer we competed nearly every weekend and still hacked there and back if it was away from our yard!

FDC

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Haha, yes I got my first jodhpurs from Jacatex. They were the 'baggy top' type. I thought they were fab, but when I look at pictures now, it makes me laugh!

Yes, I had those books too. My strongest memory is when I was about nine years years old, memorising the 'points of the horse' and also the different breeds in The Observer's Book of Horses and Ponies by R S Summerhays.

I remember those jods, god we looked silly, but not as silly as a lass I saw the other day in pink combat jods!

I think I am getting old, because I too remember memorising the points of a horse when I was 7, so why did I tell my YO the other day that Captain had a slight swelling in his hocks when I meant his fetlocks? Senility is setting in I feel!
FDC

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Aaaahhhh, I'm luvvin this thread :)

Yep, remember Jacatex. I (or rather my doting parents!) bought their "lovat" checked hacking jacket and someone's pony slobbered green slime all down the front of it the first time I wore it.

Also I had their "riding trousers" and by golly they lasted me well - I hardly took them off (only for the dreaded skool!!!) and by the time I'd finished with them they were halfway up my legs coz I'd grown so much....... but they still had plenty of wear in them. Jacatex were a super firm, their stuff actually LASTED: manufacturers of today please note!!

I learnt to ride at a riding school at Ebford, nr Topsham, Devon, run by (wait for it) a Captain Hewitt. James Hewitt was their son. Enough said. But it was an excellent riding establishment; we had lots of lessons in their indoor school and all their horses were brilliantly schooled. I remember we had to tuck a £1 note between our knees and the saddle and if you didn't keep it there it was forfeit!

I miss those carefree days; the music, the culture, was such fun then and today's youngsters don't know what "real" music is!

Shantara

Visit site
today's youngsters don't know what "real" music is!

I shall have to call you on that one! I'm a 'youngster' and I have fab taste in music :p
None of this 'clubbing' or drum and bass or whatever...
Hans Zimmer, The Beatles and TMBG! I love Classic FM (And other bands like the Beatles, too many to name!)

Back ontopic...
When I get my own horse, he'll be fit. None of this 'schooling for 20mins once a week' rubbish (Knew a girl who did that and wondered why her ex show jumper was bucking and over excited!) And she dared call the horses at my RS unfit! They all get ridden twice a day, 6 times a week! Sometimes more if they're booked (I sometimes book Ned when others aren't there, so I get some privacy!)

Still, I'm very jealous :( I very much doubt it'll ever be like that again and being only 21, I'm gutted I missed it :(

Last edited:

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
I shall have to call you on that one! I'm a 'youngster' and I have fab taste in music :p
None of this 'clubbing' or drum and bass or whatever...
Hans Zimmer, The Beatles and TMBG!

Back ontopic...
When I get my own horse, he'll be fit. None of this 'schooling for 20mins once a week' rubbish (Knew a girl who did that and wondered why her ex show jumper was bucking and over excited!) And she dared call the horses at my RS unfit! They all get ridden twice a day, 6 times a week! Sometimes more if they're booked (I sometimes book Ned when others aren't there, so I get some privacy!)

Still, I'm very jealous :( I very much doubt it'll ever be like that again and being only 21, I'm gutted I missed it :(

Yes but one day these days will be your "good old days" I left horses for 20 years due to the loss of my old boy, could not bear to ride, came back and everything had changed completely. So you will see changes and some will be good , believe me you would not want to have to chop chaff or heave those old New Zealands around when you don't have to and some will be bad, I am banned from gymkhanas by my daughter due to my disgust at the way some of the kids beat their horses/ponies around the courses, the way they tug their mouths and the way they are never at fault the pony is always at fault! Things change, believe me you'll see changes.
FDC

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I learned in the 50's and was also earning in the 60's!

We not only learned the scissors, round the world, backward rolls side way rolls - we also learned how to remove the horses saddle slip it out from under us and hold it in the air - whilst cantering!

Bet Health and Safety would ban that one.

Follychoppins

Visit site
Oh my word! We did have fun and it wasn't without respect for pony and instructor, and the knowledge from the books people have mentioned. I also have the TV vet book costing 7/6. My oh laughs at fistulous withers and similar named ailments I remember from my early days. I thank my Dad to this day. He had to get up on a Saturday morning to have me at the yard for 6am, he then got to collect me again at 6.30 stinking of wet straw beds, muck sacks (how many of you remember those?) sweat and ponies. I used to have my tea, have a bath a bit of TV and go to bed I was righteously tired, fit as a flea and proud of it. Im sure the only reason my stomach muscles twanged back after childbirth was because they were so damned strong from sitting up straight. I am a "little weed" at 5ft 4, size 6-8 and 8 stone on a good day, still have no bulges and what are jodhpur thighs lol! Oh things were so different - no pink! I don't have the nerve I had back then but without blowing my own trumpet my position is still as it was. I sometimes do my exercises as grumpy and I are returning to the field walking along touching my toes, hands above my head, chin on her neck, back of my head on her rump, standing in my stirrups for 100 yards, arm rotations, leg swings - all the things we HAD to do. I have given up jumping off the right side, running round and vaulting on the wrong side......one has to draw the old age line somewhere but I do ride down the field bareback. Come on, more stories please. Going back to Jacatex, I remember those lovely buckled joddie boots. I wasn't allowed any :(

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Ah yes, I'd forgotten "Round the World"!!! Gee golly, H&S would have had a seizure. Yes, remember vaulting up too; plus loads of bareback riding.

I used to ride after school; when it was dark I'd just have a little battery-operated stirrup light attached to my leg and trot along the lanes. No hi viz or anything like that; it just wasn't around in those days, you couldn't buy it. The roads werent such a rat run then, just very quiet and you hardly ever saw anyone.

We'd also think nothing of hacking 8 miles to a show, competing, and then hacking back. Ditto hunting. If your family weren't horsey, and/or couldn't affort it, then to have your own transport was a very rare thing and you just had to hack or not go!

NeilM

Visit site
am banned from gymkhanas by my daughter due to my disgust at the way some of the kids beat their horses/ponies around the courses, the way they tug their mouths and the way they are never at fault the pony is always at fault!
FDC

I am Follychoppins OH and I love going with her to local shows, as she can last about 10 seconds before she becomes the riding instructor from hell, and starts shouting at some poor soul in the clear round jumping arena. You know the sort of thing " kick him on!...sit up...... SIT UP...STOP FLAPPING YOUR ARMS....GOOOO OOOON, that's it! KICK ONNNNNN" It is usually at this point I ask who the rider is, "I don't know...but she's riding much better now!":D

Old school riders eh? Love you all :D

humblepie

Visit site
Quote : Do you remember which family lived at Purton House at that time?

What did you win the cup for? It's always lovely to win a trophy, and a nice reward for all the hard work we put in prior to going to a show.

No I can't reminder I was only young! No idea was the cup was for, still have a picture though of me on pony with it. Probably something like best rider or best pony. Pony was called Togo, bought by my father unbroken from Stow Fair.

Dizzydusty

Visit site
Well while I didn't learn to ride in the 60's...it would have been the late 70's for me. I remember having to do all those exercises at our nearest riding school, the horse were kept in stalls, not stables, with headcollars that had a bit rope and a wooden hanging ball on the end! First hat had the twangy elastic... the next one had the chin guard...actually you bought the harness to go over your hat. When I look at the hats we have now, I think my first hat gave as much protection as my beagler would....how i didn't end up brain damanged I don't know!

We lived in a village when I had my pony, didn't think twice about riding her bareback down the main road in a headcollar. We used to take the ponies swimming in the local river, barerback, no hat, in a swimming cossie and the pony in a headcollar, and they did actually swim! I loved it cos it was the only time my light grey pony looked clean! I don't think I have ever sat on my cob (who Ive had now for nearly 10 years) bareback! I don't bounce like I used too.

My first body protector was nothing more than a bit of polestyrene (sp?) with verlcro round the middle. How that would ever have stopped us getting hurt if we fell off god only knows...good job I never fell off x country lol.

I remember hacking to my first hunter trials and doing it in a velvet hat and black jacket as it was the only thing I had....and we won it!

Dizzydusty

Visit site
Oh yes, and jods came in one colour....cream. I thought I was a real swank getting a black pair when I went back to riding about 15 years ago, as even then it wasn't the rainbow of colours you get now.

As for rugs...it was either a blue and red stable rug, a jute rug, a string vest sweat rug and a canvas new zealand (I had a blue one!!). If your horse got cold, you put an old bed blanket on it under the stable rug and used a surcingle! None of this Rip stop, shoulder gusset, 400g, zip up nonsense. It was canvas, with a felt lining and weight a ton if it got wet. You had to have two in case one leaked as they took ages to dry out!

Getting all misty eyed and nostalgic! (but not for the rugs lol)