Nostril Vet

aidybex

Visit site
Has anyone used it and does it work? My mare does the same every summer - has become really lethargic (grass belly doesn't help!!) when we do canter work then struggles to get her breath again. Poor girl as it's all pollen related - I had her fully checked over by a vet who could find nothing.

Any other suggestions would be extremely gratefully recieved!!

Bottle of red to the best suggestion xx!!

Annagain

Visit site
Don't know about that, but a friend's horse struggles and after reading that local honey was supposed to help humans with hay fever decided to try it on her boy. She puts a tablespoon in his feed every day(it said a teaspoon for humans so she just increased it!). He loves it and it does seem to have eased the symptoms a bit as well. It hasn't gone completely but it doesn't seem as bad. It has to be honey that is made locally as it will contain pollen that is found locally and the body gets used to it.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
My mare is allergic to oil seed rape pollen, and sneezes, snorts, headshakes and rubs her nostrils during the season.
I use Beconase, which was recommended by my vet - 2 sprays in each nostril morning and evening. It makes her worse for about 5 mins after each application, but it definitely helps her.
I also considered Nostrilvet, but after doing a bit of research, found that the company make a spray for the human market, called Nasaleze, which is about £7 for one bottle, whereas the Nostrilvet is £30 for 2 bottles. The only difference seems to be that they add peppermint to the human one...which I think my horse will like, anyway. I have ordered it from Sainsbury's pharmacy, where it is now waiting for me.
Other things to try - putting a black fly mask on seems to ease the symptoms, soaking hay/haylage, you can get homeopathic pills (Mixed Pollen).
The other thing I've found, is that Bute or Danilon can ease the inflammatory response (obviously see your vet first).
S
grin.gif

saz5083

Visit site
Can you use that when competing Halfstep? My boy has a similar problem. I have changed his diet completely which has helped a bit but he still gets a little snorty/headshaker-ish on warm high pollen count days. Think I may be the only person in the country hoping all my BE events fall on dull overcast weekends!

Halfstep

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can you use that when competing Halfstep? My boy has a similar problem. I have changed his diet completely which has helped a bit but he still gets a little snorty/headshaker-ish on warm high pollen count days. Think I may be the only person in the country hoping all my BE events fall on dull overcast weekends!

[/ QUOTE ]

I use it for BD and would be surprised if there was a problem. The ingredients are menthol, camphor, eucalyptus oil and petroleum jelly. Nothing sinister there!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Nostrilvet/Nasalese should be ok too - it's just inert cellulose powder which forms a physical barrier to stop the pollen irritating the nostrils.
S
grin.gif

saz5083

Visit site
Yay! Might have to give it a go
smile.gif
Shall nip off to the chemist and get some today, we're in for a warm weekend so perfect time to try it out
smile.gif

Thanks

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
I use it for BD and would be surprised if there was a problem. The ingredients are menthol, camphor, eucalyptus oil and petroleum jelly. Nothing sinister there!

[/ QUOTE ]

Camphor has analgesic properties and isn't allowed under BE rules (I think!) Certainly on Ice Blue leg coolant the bottle states it's not allowed under certain rules (just can't remember which ones is says). As this is applied to the nose, I guess it doesn't matter too much!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ive been wondering about this for my boy (sorry to hijack post) - does anyone know if it would work for a horse who is allergic to most grasses, hay moulds and dust mites?! I am still unsure if his allergy is from inhaling these things / eating it / or just touching them! So have no idea if this stuff would help him at all....??