"not a micklem horse" on dressage sheet

McFluff

Visit site
DF you found that so quickly, you must have been coveting that ear thingy :D

I’ve only ever competed in a micklem - never had a negative comment related to it - maybe we have too many other issues...

DirectorFury

Visit site
AH I am totally not getting the issue with Topaz's ears, they look smart with the matching noseband! I'd complain to BD, the tack is within the rules and fits so the judge shouldn't be commenting on it imo.

DF you found that so quickly, you must have been coveting that ear thingy :D

<shifty eyes> er, no...course not....

:D (I do like the bridle tho - do we think that's a Fairfax drop?)

cundlegreen

Visit site
Oh I see, but then surely in that case judges should be suspicious of other things then like any other noseband than a plain cavesson? I only went down that route as she was head shaking and seems to prefer the shaped headpiece! I wish it made her go better but other than not shaking her head, it doesnt!

I've got exactly the same problem as you. My horse is not a headshaker (although some might say she is), but will not keep a contact with a rider, although she does on longreins, and with an Ardall dummy on board. Work that one out! i found the Micklem made no difference, but she is very fleshy around her ears, and a sensitive soul, so have just bought a heavily padded bridle to see if that helps. I think she has had a bad experience, and know that she had a rotten tooth when i bought her, so am fairly convinced that the problem is in her head, I've had all checks done, and even back xrays which came back clean, so I'm running out of options. She is much better in the contact when jumping.It's the dressage that really winds her up.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
:lol: how did you guess :lol:

17523478_614660572053140_2724405608504798554_n.jpg

^ok so that might actually be the offending item, sorry if it offends :eek:...
As a confirmed old f@rt and non user of bling, I do find the competing blingey browband, blingey ear covers and white lined noseband to be too 'busy' but assuming it is all BD legal, then your judge was totally out of order to put that in his/her comments. I would defo raise a complaint with BD on that.

Willow1306

Visit site
I don't think there should have been a mention but I do think a horse wearing a micklem highlights there are contact issues, I don't know anyone that has one that hasn't tried it to help resolve issues with the contact.
So even if a judge doesn't say or write it the thought may well planted before you even start, rightly or wrongly.

It's not why I have used one on multiple horses, nor has my motivation to use one been that they are 'fashionable'. I've found that they fit better than a traditional bridle on the horses i've tried it on - though I must admit to swapping the browband for a much larger one, which I find is often necessary with most bridles. I also like the design and how they sit, though I appreciate that they don't fit/suit all horses head shapes and for those which they don't fit, there's little scope to adjust them.

I would discredit that judge based on that comment. So backward thinking and to me highlights that they can't judge without pre-conceived ideas and prejudice views.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I would discredit that judge based on that comment. So backward thinking and to me highlights that they can't judge without pre-conceived ideas and prejudice views.

I'd love to know how judges are supposed to, you know; "judge", without preconceived ideas and views? That's what judging IS.

What I would sincerely hope is that they have assimilated their training correctly and learned how to compare the riding in front of them with the standard to which they are comparing it. All judging is subjective and coloured by a judges personal preferences and ideals, that's the variable in these sort of comparative sports and why there is more than one judge at the bigger competitions.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
As a confirmed old f@rt and non user of bling, I do find the competing blingey browband, blingey ear covers and white lined noseband to be too 'busy' but assuming it is all BD legal, then your judge was totally out of order to put that in his/her comments. I would defo raise a complaint with BD on that.

In my defence it was even more subtle on the day as the noseband I used had no white piping, but yes all legal.

It just felt mean spirited to write it after such a harshly marked sheet as well :eek:.

claracanter

Visit site
In my defence it was even more subtle on the day as the noseband I used had no white piping, but yes all legal.

It just felt mean spirited to write it after such a harshly marked sheet as well :eek:.

I think it's very mean spirited. If it's all legal then they have no right to say it's distracting.

Mule

Visit site
Judge sounds snobby, esp about the fly mask. I ride in a Micklem too. Horse doesn't have any problems with contact. It didn't occur to me that judges would care.

Last edited:

GinaGeo

Visit site
On a slightly different note, I have found Micklem's most useful on horses that hide behind the contact. I bought mine originally for a horse that sounds remarkably similar to yours. He's far better in a grackle. The micklem did however work very well on the horse that hides behind the contact and I have found this to be true on quite a few horses.

Perhaps this is what the judges mean?

I have never found judges to biased against the Micklem. My scores have always been better with it on particular horses, as those horse do go better in it.

On the horse that it didn't suit, he got worse marks, I think it probably highlighted the unsettled contac, and he wasn't truly happy in it.

Doublethyme

Visit site
I don't think there should have been a mention but I do think a horse wearing a micklem highlights there are contact issues, I don't know anyone that has one that hasn't tried it to help resolve issues with the contact.
So even if a judge doesn't say or write it the thought may well planted before you even start, rightly or wrongly.

Wasn't why I switched. Only bridle that fits my mare off the peg....she has a very long tb face, tiny muzzle and big broad warmblood forehead and massive ears that make headpiece hard to fit. The Micklem fits her perfectly and is a well priced solution. Tried her back in a normal cavesson recently and she really wasn't happy. For whatever reason she likes the feel of the Micklem who am I to argue.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Oh I see, but then surely in that case judges should be suspicious of other things then like any other noseband than a plain cavesson? I only went down that route as she was head shaking and seems to prefer the shaped headpiece! I wish it made her go better but other than not shaking her head, it doesnt!

Well judges like to see horses presented for tests in a cavesson .
In my experiance judges will be more forgiving of a horse moving its mouth a bit in a cavesson than moving it mouth against a flash strap.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Micklem bridle tells judge 'contact issues' horse with a flash strapping their mouth shut not a problem not looking for any contact issues. Go figure.

Overly tight flash tells this judge that there is a problem alright, and if it's obviously too tight THIS judge goes and gets the steward, but maybe that's just me...

I don't use a micklem myself, nor do I use a flash strap, but I wouldn't comment about things like that on a sheet. ALL impressions do count, including first ones outside the ring, but it should be the way of going and the test itself that is marked.

Mule

Visit site
Overly tight flash tells this judge that there is a problem alright, and if it's obviously too tight THIS judge goes and gets the steward, but maybe that's just me...

I don't use a micklem myself, nor do I use a flash strap, but I wouldn't comment about things like that on a sheet. ALL impressions do count, including first ones outside the ring, but it should be the way of going and the test itself that is marked.

Would a Micklem influence your impression in a negative way?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Would a Micklem influence your impression in a negative way?

Not really, but I do find that micklems tend to be on the, how shall I put it?....less well polished combinations, which seem to be in need of more help generally. I try to be encouraging and informative, but mentioning the tack wouldn't come into it. If the ride is a good one then the bridle choice is immaterial anyway.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Not really, but I do find that micklems tend to be on the, how shall I put it?....less well polished combinations, which seem to be in need of more help generally. I try to be encouraging and informative, but mentioning the tack wouldn't come into it. If the ride is a good one then the bridle choice is immaterial anyway.

I've seen the same. I think a lot of people think that a micklem will solve all their riding problems, which isn't the case. Like you, I never use a flash or drop. People want to take a look at the balance of the horse before strapping down the head.

Mule

Visit site

I have a slightly scruffy looking Micklem with a big ring on the noseband. It sometimes reminds me of a bull with a ring in its nose ;)
I think I'd better make more of an effort with our appearance.

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have a slightly scruffy looking Micklem with a big ring on the noseband. It sometimes reminds me of a bull with a ring in its nose ;)
I think I'd better make more of an effort with our appearance.

Actually, I don't think that version is BD legal? So technically you would be eliminated!!

Mule

Visit site
Actually, I don't think that version is BD legal? So technically you would be eliminated!!

I'm sure it's DI legal. They haven't kicked me out of a show yet anyway!
(I think it's the bit clips that it comes with that aren't allowed) Must actually check that..

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I think that the multibridle with the lunge clip on the noseband is allowed. My judge and I judged/scribed an entire test without noticing that the horse's Micklem had bit clips... :eek:. That caused a bit of a stir when the senior dressage steward noticed them as it left the arena area.

ETA this was a BE event, with a pre test official tack check, oops.

Last edited:

LeannePip

Visit site
Super interesting hearing all the preconceived notions of judges etc r.e Micklems! I'd never thought that it would potentially, in some judges eyes put you at a disadvantage or used to 'cover' something yp, but I also don't *think* I have ever been subject to this. I have competed DR/BE/RC and at RC champs in it an have never had it commented on, nor have there ever been any comments of contact issues - but maybe thats because the micklem is working :D :D :D

I don't even know why my mare wears one :D She was never happy in any sort of cavesson as a youngster so I always steer clear of those, so she wore a grackle and was/ is very happy but I had a different bit to jump and flat and got fed up switching them around so put one on the micklem laying around in the tack room :D

AlexHyde completely agree that that fly veil is completely outrageous - how could you possible wear that out in public :D :D

MagicMelon

Visit site
I've got exactly the same problem as you. My horse is not a headshaker (although some might say she is), but will not keep a contact with a rider, although she does on longreins, and with an Ardall dummy on board. Work that one out! i found the Micklem made no difference, but she is very fleshy around her ears, and a sensitive soul, so have just bought a heavily padded bridle to see if that helps. I think she has had a bad experience, and know that she had a rotten tooth when i bought her, so am fairly convinced that the problem is in her head, I've had all checks done, and even back xrays which came back clean, so I'm running out of options. She is much better in the contact when jumping.It's the dressage that really winds her up.

Sounds like we do indeed have exactly the same issue! I had her back checked a few times, saddle checked, teeth checked, tried different bits but that just winds her up even more etc. Ive never had a horse quite like her, shes an absolute dream in all ways (jumps anything, amazing hack, dream to handle, never misbehaves etc.) but just basic flatwork is such a challenge. I tried selling her a while ago (not at all due to this issue) but nobody could ride her! Most couldn't even get her to trot nicely as her head was so high in the air and she was so tense - she's very sensitive to new people. I can get her going nicely 75% of the time but she still has her moments where she just tenses up for no reason and she evades the contact especially on upward transitions. Yet, jumping she's far more settled. She even runs into canter still, no matter how hard I try I still cannot sort this issue (unless we're jumping and she's much better). Dressage tests are hell, but yet she breezes round jumping double clears eventing all day long - its so disheartening :(

MagicMelon

Visit site
Micklem bridle tells judge 'contact issues' horse with a flash strapping their mouth shut not a problem not looking for any contact issues. Go figure.

This is exactly what I dont understand. Sure, I do have contact problems but thats not why I use a Micklem (its the same no matter what bridle I use!), she simply doesnt shake her head in it so I figure she must be happier in it. Surely comfort of the horse is the most important thing? It sounds like Im giving the wrong impression using one, before I even enter the arena :( Why arent horses with flashes a red flag to judges, rather unfair. Maybe I'll try a traditional cavesson bridle but try to get a padded / shaped headpiece which I think she likes, the last thing we need is a negative impression before we even begin!

cundlegreen

Visit site
Sounds like we do indeed have exactly the same issue! I had her back checked a few times, saddle checked, teeth checked, tried different bits but that just winds her up even more etc. Ive never had a horse quite like her, shes an absolute dream in all ways (jumps anything, amazing hack, dream to handle, never misbehaves etc.) but just basic flatwork is such a challenge. I tried selling her a while ago (not at all due to this issue) but nobody could ride her! Most couldn't even get her to trot nicely as her head was so high in the air and she was so tense - she's very sensitive to new people. I can get her going nicely 75% of the time but she still has her moments where she just tenses up for no reason and she evades the contact especially on upward transitions. Yet, jumping she's far more settled. She even runs into canter still, no matter how hard I try I still cannot sort this issue (unless we're jumping and she's much better). Dressage tests are hell, but yet she breezes round jumping double clears eventing all day long - its so disheartening :(

Having seen a post on FB last week about a similar horse to mine, that turned out to have a bone spur on the TMJ. They gave her a steroid injection and she is a different horse. I've just tried my mare in a new bridle with massive padding and cut away around the ears, and she actually settled in it and no heavy breathing. The padding covers the TMJ, doesn't look very pretty, but it seems to work.

ozpoz

Visit site

Yes, it's odd. I use one because of the well thought out design - shaped to fit around the ears and on the face more comfortably, and my horse likes it too.