Not another Joint Supplement post... :D

Visit site
Happy Tuesday!

I was just wondering what joint supplements people feed there horses and why? I am looking to change the one i currently use due to cost and wondered what else was out there that people use. I currently use Cosequin.

Thank you

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
https://www.equineanswers.co.uk/premierflex-ha/p4

I swear by premier flex HA, £42 lasts roughly 3 months. I researched tonnes when my gelding got diagnosed with bone spavin in both hocks. He has been on this for a year now and is doing insanely well, he is never stiff, schooling 5 days a week including some low level jumping. We compete regularly at dressage and always get great comments about his fluidity and elasticity.

26% glucosamine
15% MSM
10% chondroitin sulphate

brilliant stuff!

supsup

Visit site
I've just splurged on FlexAbility by Science Supplements. Only fed one day, so too soon to tell if it makes any difference (but horse is eating it, which is always the first hurdle). It's the only joint supplement to date with at least some scientific evidence behind it, and based on trials you should see a difference in 2-3 weeks.

In the past, I've fed Equimins Flexijoint after vet said I might give a joint supplement a try, but to be honest, I never noticed much of a difference. The specs on it/value for money are quite good on Flexijoint though.

I've found these two links quite informative. Of course, Dr Marlin is selling his own product, but the chart in the second link comparing ingredient levels of common joint supplements is quite informative. Premier Flex HA (which isn't on the figure) is BTW not as high-spec as it seems at first glance - the levels given on the webpage are for the loading dose (twice the regular dose), so levels in a regular dose are lower. Looking at % isn't all that helpful, you really need to compare ingredients and cost per dose.
The FlexAbility is very, very expensive. If it works, I might consider trying to get the same amount of ingredients in using the Flexijoint at 1.5 times the regular dose, plus supplementing omega 3s via linseed, and maybe Vit C from somewhere else. The Flexijoint still works out 3x cheaper even at an elevated dose, but who knows how important it is that all the bits are fed together, or whether the quality of the ingredients (short-chain vs. long-chain...) really can make a big difference. We'll see.
http://davidmarlin.co.uk/portfolio/...tific-evidence-is-there-to-support-their-use/
https://www.sciencesupplements.co.uk/flexability.html

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The science behind the 'traditional' ingredients of a joint supplement is very limited. I fed one for a short time but then decided not to bother.

Once mine got a little stiff I started him on boswellia which made a noticeable (to other people) difference at the time.

ihatework

Visit site
The science behind the 'traditional' ingredients of a joint supplement is very limited. I fed one for a short time but then decided not to bother.

Once mine got a little stiff I started him on boswellia which made a noticeable (to other people) difference at the time.

I agree - I think if giving something non POM orally then money better spent on Boswellia and devils claw (the latter not FEI clean). Both are comparatively cheap with just as much, if not more, chance of doing something.

Personally I’m a big fan of IM pentosan for routine joint maintenance too