Not chicken flavoured light dry dog food that isn't grain free?!

Boulty

Visit site
Hi posting in slight desperation as Google is being especially useless today. Hen the hooligan has a suspected allergy to chicken / poultry (we think he reacts to Turkey as well). As he's been totally fine since cutting this out of his diet I've no desire to test the theory & vet has advised allergy blood testing for this would be unreliable & not to waste my money! He's been on Hills ID Sensitive dry which has an egg-based protein source & gut biome support since the start of the year & has done well on this (although I do have to add a small amount of fish flavoured wet to get him to eat it) but for one thing it's not cheap even with the slight discount I get through work and for another he weighs a little more than I'd like him to despite continually cutting down the amount he gets gradually so I feel a lower calorie food would be beneficial. (He gets about a zillion treats a day as part of a behaviour modification plan for his obsession with car chasing which must be high value & must not be his normal food which probably does not help the weight control but as I'd like him alive & not squished under a car this is sorta going to have to continue). He is not allergic to grain & due to some of the potential links with cardiac disease I am wanting to avoid grain free food (esp those using peas as a grain replacement). Lastly he is a small breed dog (& also a fussy sod when he wants to be) so food that only comes in 12-15kg bags isn't much good to me initially (I need something that comes in a smaller pack at least for initially introducing it in case he either won't eat it or in case it upsets his stomach so I'm not throwing TOO much money down the drain!). Ideally looking for something fish or lamb based (venison also seems ok but is a very random flavour to try & find)

Erm any suggestions that won't break the bank too much? So far I've found JWB & Wainwrights do a light with an appropriate flavour but only in stupidly large bags. Have also looked at Tails.com but looks like that would cost me roughly as much as I pay now which sorta defeats the object (more if I'm paying delivery?) although as least they do a reduced price trial. Am debating trying Naturediet dry if I really can't find a specific "light" food as he gets on well with the small amounts of their wet that he has & they do small trial bags & it would work out just over half the price of what he's on now.

For the photo tax...

287203978_5867268949958339_617178332722153607_n.jpg

284480354_5840639569287944_3324629921655945095_n.jpg

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Currently waiting for washing to finish - yawn! What's your budget per kg and I'll have a look around for you?

Kat_Bath

Visit site
As well as Acana, there's also Orijen, Eden and Essential Nautical Living. It might also be worth giving Millie's Wolfheart a call as their in-house food experts were good when I spoke to them and they're on it in terms of which of their foods offer more or less calories.

meleeka

Visit site
I feed Wainwrights which comes in a small bag. It’s not the light version though so perhaps that’s different. I have the Small breed Salmon 7+ one which doesn’t upset my JRT who has an ultra sensitive tummy and is also mega fussy. It has a similar level of protein and fat as the light one, so perhaps try it?

Last edited:

Boulty

Visit site
What I'm feeding atm works out about £1 per day for a 10kg dog (would be more if he actually got the full amount on the bag) so ideally looking for less than that. Will admit that I'm not too bothered about AADF scores as what I & they view as "good" can differ but can be useful for checking if something is single source protein (which I need it to be)

Clarabel

Visit site
Hi posting in slight desperation as Google is being especially useless today. Hen the hooligan has a suspected allergy to chicken / poultry (we think he reacts to Turkey as well). As he's been totally fine since cutting this out of his diet I've no desire to test the theory & vet has advised allergy blood testing for this would be unreliable & not to waste my money! He's been on Hills ID Sensitive dry which has an egg-based protein source & gut biome support since the start of the year & has done well on this (although I do have to add a small amount of fish flavoured wet to get him to eat it) but for one thing it's not cheap even with the slight discount I get through work and for another he weighs a little more than I'd like him to despite continually cutting down the amount he gets gradually so I feel a lower calorie food would be beneficial. (He gets about a zillion treats a day as part of a behaviour modification plan for his obsession with car chasing which must be high value & must not be his normal food which probably does not help the weight control but as I'd like him alive & not squished under a car this is sorta going to have to continue). He is not allergic to grain & due to some of the potential links with cardiac disease I am wanting to avoid grain free food (esp those using peas as a grain replacement). Lastly he is a small breed dog (& also a fussy sod when he wants to be) so food that only comes in 12-15kg bags isn't much good to me initially (I need something that comes in a smaller pack at least for initially introducing it in case he either won't eat it or in case it upsets his stomach so I'm not throwing TOO much money down the drain!). Ideally looking for something fish or lamb based (venison also seems ok but is a very random flavour to try & find)

Erm any suggestions that won't break the bank too much? So far I've found JWB & Wainwrights do a light with an appropriate flavour but only in stupidly large bags. Have also looked at Tails.com but looks like that would cost me roughly as much as I pay now which sorta defeats the object (more if I'm paying delivery?) although as least they do a reduced price trial. Am debating trying Naturediet dry if I really can't find a specific "light" food as he gets on well with the small amounts of their wet that he has & they do small trial bags & it would work out just over half the price of what he's on now.

For the photo tax...

View attachment 97942

View attachment 97943
All my dog can have is chappie original canned and a small handful of hills zd with each meal usually 3 meals a day. If she has anything else she is in agony and is rough for ages after. I swear by chappie for her. She is 14kg and has 1 tin a day with small amount of biscuits in food and as treats.

Boulty

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions guys unfortunately quite a lot of the more naturally styled brands are grain free which is unnecessary for him & something I'm looking to avoid due to increased risk of cardiac disease linked to ingredients in some grain free diets. (I don't feel the research is far enough along to 100% say which versions are safer in this respect so choosing to avoid this risk) & the guru looks to have hidden poultry liver. Will look into the fishmongers one though as looks like could work. Starting to remember why I've fallen into the trap of just keeping ordering the current food ?