Not CR - any of those who have built an indoor tack room?

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
so in a way it is CR related as its to store all my tack (and rosettes if we win any ;) )

Anyway, is there anyone out there who can build? if so I need some advice. I'd like to put a tack room in, it would be 6'6 high (as the barn has concrete panel walls) and three sides of breeze block (I think) with a solid door and very strong lock.

I'd like the roof to be able to store things on the top of it (the barn is very high so lots of room to be able to get on top of the tack room). eg rugs in boxes etc.

problem is I can't work out what cost this is likely to be, what type of breeze blocks would be recommended - some vary from 75p each to £5 which would make the cost astronomical!

How would the roof go on?

size of it would be 12' deep by 6'6 high by 6' wide. the back wall would be the concrete panels of the barn.

Advice gratefully received :)

many thanks

wench

Visit site
If I'm right in thinking the more expensive breeze blocks will have better insulating properties and be more fireproof. I'd go with the cheaper one.

However best thing to do is go to your local builders merchant and ask them!

trottingon

Visit site
Probably worth checking with your insurance company to see what their requirements are so you can comply? Would be a shame to build your tack room and then find out you have to make changes before you can get cover!😳

trottingon

Visit site
Probably worth checking with your insurance company to see what their requirements are so you can comply? Would be a shame to build your tack room and then find out you have to make changes before you can get cover!😳

popsdosh

Visit site
If its going in a barn ,you may find the cheapest and strongest is a secondhand shipping container as everything is done for you.It would just need putting in place.They are 2.4X2.4 m they come in lengths of 12m ,6m or 3m however the 3m ones are harder to get hold of. Not sure in your part of the world but around here they would be about £600-1200 job done no builders etc and easily moved in time and could potentially be sited outside.
From my experience with breezeblock walls you may as well use plywood as they are equally as easy to get into and the lock although high security would have no use at all.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Ours is made of middle price block and each block is also glued making it harder to destroy for a burglar. The inside is lined with insulation boarding and the roof was thick plywood and lined on the inside with the insulated stuff. Just a standard flat roof but if you need storage on top you will probably need more roof supports than we used. Think about putting an alarm in as you build. Or you can buy one that sends a signal to your house or mobile via wireless.

Maloo

Visit site
I purchased a 2nd hand 'secure site office' which is basically a portacabin but with a steel outer, steel window shutters and a secure door. It cost £1600, came with heaters and lights so needed an electrician to hook it to the mains. They come in all shapes and sizes - mine is 12' x 10' which is just about right for us! (I also had a burglar alarm fitted up to the level requested by insurers). I went looking for shipping containers but was recommended to have a look at these by a friend and it was more 'finished' than a container if you get my drift...

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
We have an external shipping container which we keep our rugs and other bits in, no one lives on site, before we had electric we kept our generator in there. We had 5 generators stolen, one time they cut a hole in the door with an acetylene torch, another time they used a hacksaw on the door hinges and wedged it open (must have taken them all night!). Just thought I would say :)

khalswitz

Visit site
We have exactly what you say, only made of wood - a very high breezeblock and metal agricultural barn, with a large wooden tack room built into one corner with storage for rugs etc on top. We got it done by a log cabin company, not too dear, door bolts and padlocks plus the barn does too so insurance company very happy.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
thanks everyone, very helpful advice will go off and do some more research.

what size are your tack rooms? i'm actually thinking 12' is too big and perhaps 6' by 6' would be plenty of room to store everything?

khalswitz

Visit site
thanks everyone, very helpful advice will go off and do some more research.

what size are your tack rooms? i'm actually thinking 12' is too big and perhaps 6' by 6' would be plenty of room to store everything?

I don't actually know the size off by heart - probably three large paces by five. Keeps all tack, feed, and stores liveries' stuff as well.

Charmin

Visit site
I would always go as big as possible with tack room, more room for cleaning etc. Handy to have a kettle and a few chairs if anyone's around for a chat too.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
So the feed won't go in the tack room, not sure if you can picture it, but as you go into our barn there are two stables on the left, at the end of the stable there are rug racks (hanging off the solid stable partition) and there would be a gap then the tack room. the feed bins would go in the gap so as you fill buckets, the rugs would be hanging up behind you and the stables behind them - does that make sense?

it would then be easier to sweep up the feed etc and perhaps keep the tack room rodent free. so the tack room would have racks on the back wall, plus bridle racks on the left wall. on the right, I'd put shelving along it for grooming boxes etc and the kettle. the roof would have unused rugs/shavings etc.

khalswitz

Visit site
So the feed won't go in the tack room, not sure if you can picture it, but as you go into our barn there are two stables on the left, at the end of the stable there are rug racks (hanging off the solid stable partition) and there would be a gap then the tack room. the feed bins would go in the gap so as you fill buckets, the rugs would be hanging up behind you and the stables behind them - does that make sense?

it would then be easier to sweep up the feed etc and perhaps keep the tack room rodent free. so the tack room would have racks on the back wall, plus bridle racks on the left wall. on the right, I'd put shelving along it for grooming boxes etc and the kettle. the roof would have unused rugs/shavings etc.

Right, so yours wouldn't even need to be as big as ours. Ours has all rugs/tack/feed/liveries stuff and the kettle and some chairs, so is reasonably big, plus stores rugs up top as well.

The wooden version works well, nice and cosy too, would deco recommend.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
thanks, will pace yours out and see what size it is for reference.

I marked out a 2m by 2m in chalk yesterday - looked like it might be ok if the door was offset so there was room to put bridle racks up on the left and shelving on the right/boxes on the floor.

the more I think about it, the more a 12' by 6' tack room woudl be enormous - I'd end up making it a shetland pony stable!!