Not eating carrots

KEK

Visit site
Hi,
My 8yo Connemara is all of a sudden refusing carrots. We've had him since we was started and this has never happened before. I'm retesting his bloods for laminitis as he also walked away from me yesterday when I went to catch him as is currently on grass due to the time of year, but he's sadly had laminitis before and not refused carrots. Any thoughts?
TIA!

ponynutz

Visit site
I think a laminitis-prone pony can definitely have carrots or bits of them in moderation and we don't have much information about pony's current condition or when he last suffered/how his diet is managed. One or two a week really won't hurt a pony who has previously had laminitis but is currently not suffering.

Sorry, KEK I'm of no use to the mystery of the carrot refusal but I think you're doing the right thing by him testing his bloods. Does his weight or anything else (struggling/refusing to walk, signs of lameness or sore feet, hot feet, raised digital pulse in his feet) suggest he might be at risk of or suffering from a relapse?

FieldOrnaments

Visit site
agree with the above, carrots are very sugary. I wouldn't keep a laminitic on lush grass either. Not sure why you think refusing carrots could be linked to laminitis, I'd be more wondering about teeth/mouth pain than feet or generally being full of grass and not wanting it.

KEK

Visit site
I think a laminitis-prone pony can definitely have carrots or bits of them in moderation and we don't have much information about pony's current condition or when he last suffered/how his diet is managed. One or two a week really won't hurt a pony who has previously had laminitis but is currently not suffering.

Sorry, KEK I'm of no use to the mystery of the carrot refusal but I think you're doing the right thing by him testing his bloods. Does his weight or anything else (struggling/refusing to walk, signs of lameness or sore feet, hot feet, raised digital pulse in his feet) suggest he might be at risk or suffering from a relapse?
Thanks :) He’s not overweight and seemed ok with being ridden but will still check. No pulses etc. Most of the year he is on low sugar meadow grass hay, but this time of year there is actually some grass in the paddock.

KEK

Visit site
agree with the above, carrots are very sugary. I wouldn't keep a laminitic on lush grass either. Not sure why you think refusing carrots could be linked to laminitis, I'd be more wondering about teeth/mouth pain than feet or generally being full of grass and not wanting it.
I don’t think it’s necessarily linked, I’m wondering about other causes. He’s not on lush grass, we live in WA and we don’t have any grass 90% of the year. We have a small amount at the moment which my husband is currently killing off. Teeth have just been done by vet dentist.

ponynutz

Visit site
Thanks :) He’s not overweight and seemed ok with being ridden but will still check. No pulses etc. Most of the year he is on low sugar meadow grass hay, but this time of year there is actually some grass in the paddock.
That's ok :) I do agree partially with the others - I'd take him off the grass or muzzle him and stop feeding him sugary treats until you're sure he's not laminitic again. I'd also maybe have a dentist check as my first thought with refusing food would also be mouth pain. It could just be he's full of grass (which for a laminitic I would worry about, hence the above of limiting his intake).
Good luck to you!

Reactions: KEK

KEK

Visit site
That's ok :) I do agree partially with the others - I'd take him off the grass or muzzle him and stop feeding him sugary treats until you're sure he's not laminitic again. I'd also maybe have a dentist check as my first thought with refusing food would also be mouth pain. It could just be he's full of grass (which for a laminitic I would worry about, hence the above of limiting his intake).
Good luck to you!
I’ll move him to the dead bit of paddock until bloods are back which should be today. He’s had carrots literally his entire life and my husband is a farrier and said definitely no pulses or increased temp of feet. Thanks for your thoughts all.

FieldOrnaments

Visit site
honestly if he seems well apart from refusing carrots i'd chalk it up to the grass tasting nicer. It could be his mouth/tmj is a bit achey from the dental gag/tools and will go with time, but either way horses give us enough to stress about ordinarily without trying to read too much into their food preferences. Kudos for wanting to catch something before it gets worse than necessary but honestly you might be worrying unduly here :) fingers crossed bloods are ok and it'll just be him enjoying the grass

Reactions: KEK

PurpleSpots

Visit site
Did the reluctance to eat carrots begin just after his teeth were done, or have they been done since?

How are you offering the carrots - are they whole meaning he has to really crunch them, will he take little pieces over a whole one?

Will he take apple slices instead of carrots?