Not eating?

Skhosu

Visit site
Anyone any suggestions for a horse who has gone off his food? Been off it about a week or so now, gets three medium sized feeds. I have reduced the amount in case he was getting too much, but nope. Eating hay, but not as much as normal. Normal droppings last night, but none yet since hunting, but not too concerned there, although he is shattered!
Hasn't touched tonights afternoon or evening feed yet, although will eat polomints..but that's about it!
He hunted today and was at the beach 3 days ago, but other than that hasn't done any hard/stressful work.

GTs

Visit site
I would not recommend hunting a horse who was off it's food - I would personally get blood pulled if he has been off for a week - it is unlikely something to do with the food if it extends to his hay as well.

Skhosu

Visit site
he is lethargic in the stable, was standing around a lot yesterday in the paddock. Plenty of energy though hunting and out in the field and on the beach.
Drinking normally (gave him electrolytes yesterday so drinking more than normal, but still normal for his activity)
Not looking at his belly
I wouldn't have taken him if he was't eating at all, but he is eating a half to three quarters, just not very interested in it (usually straight into it) and an average amount of hay until today and now he's not eating much.
Our hay is very wet this year, and they've just moved onto this years hay a couple of weeks ago, could this be it? (think its haylage actually)

Dougie

Visit site
it possibly could be the change in diet but would have expected the not eating sooner. it sounds as though he may a have a wee virus pherhaps??? see how he is tommorow, if the same or worse pherhaps cal vet out as they should be open as normal tommorow

Louby

Visit site
Just a thought, my horse went off his bucket feeds the other year but ate haylage although not a lot and it turned out to be his tooth. It was fractured and it had to be removed under GA.

Skhosu

Visit site
humm.... have discussed with parents, (notoriously difficult to convince to call the vet/ANYTHING!) and have noted that he is becoming progressively grumpier/nippier/more badly behaved.
He has eaten some hard feed, and hasn't passed anything yet (think I'm going to go out and check...surely 7hrs without passing would be bad?) . Could be the electrolytes putting him off tonight...
He is going to instructors next week so will see what they think then reconvene after that!
Thanks guys, some very useful ideas there!

GTs

Visit site
I really would not put your horse up for any work - it could well be a case he is a little bit sour/worked too hard recently. You will find at the race track if a horse is not eating they take it very seriously as a sign of the above.

Unfortunately things are not just going to pass - save the money from the instructor next week, and spend it on the vet. Your instructor will not be able to do much with a horse who is not happy working, so you will waste the money anyway.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I agree with GT go for vet and/or dentist
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
Good advice GTs. I would also opt for vet over instructor; something is not right with your horse and this situation would concern me a lot if it was one of my horses.

Bossanova

Visit site
Is he fitter than he normally is?
They can tend to turn a bit grumpy,narky and go off their food when they get fit, especially during the winter.

annie02

Visit site
Have you taken his temperature? Sounds to me like he has a bit of the flu maybe?

I have to agree with everyone else, he should be be doing anymore work until you figure out what is wrong or he gets better. If he is sick, has a tummy ache or a bad tooth working will only make things worse. He is telling you something is wrong, now its your turn to try and figure it out. Dont you wish they could talk?

Skhosu

Visit site
so, posting about it made me think about it a lot more, consider exactly what he has been doing, and basically he is eating his hay, but not his hard feed.
So, he had polished off all of his hay, but left most of his hard feed this morning, turned him out and he seemed normal. Brought him in this evening, didn't give him any hay to begin with, just three buckets with each of his diff. types of feed in it. He cleaned the chaff and pony nuts and left the conditioning feed untouched.
So great I thought, maybe something wrong with this bag?

Only problem with that theory, all the others like it! Plus put a bucket of just conditioning in later, just in case, and he dove into it...so all a bit odd, but he now appears to be eating...
He is less fit than normal, not getting as much riding which may be because he isn't getting ridden as much? He has been odd, just generally not himself, could this be it? Plus they're only in the field once a week, maybe twice, and in a small paddock the rest of the time, maybe he just has too much energy?#I do see where you're all coming from re: no work, but he gets really grumpy when not ridden, and there is nothing obviously wrong, last night I was a bit panicky that he might be colicing with no droppings/eating, but he did (I checked at midnight) pass some and had eaten all his hay so after a hard days hunting, not unusual really for him, considering he got very stressed.

GTs

Visit site
It is getting really difficult as you are now changing the story......... I would ask someone who knows your horse about this situation as at this point, I think we are too confused.

Skhosu

Visit site
Well, he has gone back to polishing it off, still not quite with normal enthusiasm, but so far seems ok and packed off to instructors today looking very full of himself so hopefully he was just having a fussy turn, or maybe the less exercise was annoying him.
Glad to hear Finn's doing better btw!

joanne1920

Visit site
Sounds like he's a bit depressed, especially if he doesnt get much turn out, perhaps he's just not hungry if he gets ad lib hay/haylage and 3 buckets of feed every day and he doesnt burn it off by walking and grazing round a field... hope he's better soon