Not enough exercise

racingrags

New User
Visit site
So my trainer has about 4 horses that she personally owns. Since she teaches lessons, she dosent have a lot of time to get the horses out. Sometimes these horses spend DAYS in their 12x12 stalls. She also dosent like to turn the horses out because they are too "fragile". What do you guys think about this? Shouldnt those horses be ridden everyday or at least be turned out?

Montyforever

Visit site
I have a laminitis prone mare, I like her to be out as much as possible obviously avoiding the frost etc but even though I'm as careful as I can be with feed and turnout she does come in footy with pulses some days so has to spend a few days in on soaked hay. It means she's in alot, but she's 12hh and in a 12 x 12 stable has food, water, a comfy bed, treat ball, salt lick, swede and my mums pony as a companion. She's never fussed about staying in. The only time she gets frustrated is when her feet obviously stop hurting and she's been in for a couple of days and she gets a bit figity so that's when she starts going back out. She's obviously not lunged when she's footy (she's not rideable) so yes she's in without exercise or turnout!
I could just carry on turning her out as normal when I see the signs and have her get full blown laminitis again which would mean weeks if not months box rest and alot of pain for her.

In an ideal world I could have a turnout pen with no grass and a bigger stable so she has much more room. But I have to work with what I've got :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Keeping a horse in for days when they are not on box rest and without exercise is no different to keeping battery chickens. It's cruel.

Am thinking this is a contentious first post though OP ;)

Goldenstar

Visit site
No its not acceptable IMO , horses should never stand in their boxes all day unless ill or lame , exercise and or turnout daily should be available daily.
If turnout is not given then you must IMO lead out at least three times a day on any day work is not given.