not having much luck!

RubysGold

Visit site
I've only had my horse for nearly 3 weeks, but we're not having much luck.
She has mud fever (even though theres not much mud) so i've been trying to clean it up with hibiscrub and antibacterial cream. the flies were bothering her so she was constantly stamping a foot, and her mud fever bled one day from the flies, so i thought an over reach boot might protect it. i put the over reach boot on, the stamping stopped, however the next day she had a popped blister where it had been agravating it.
So now she's back to no boots. there seems to be less flies now.
we had the farrier out today, he found an abcess that he's cut away, i didnt know she had it, she wasnt lame or anything. However i wasnt there to get advice, i was working, apparently i have to keep an eye on it, keep it clean and pick feet out everyday, i always pick her feet out anyway! how can i keep a hole in her foot clean?
I dont know what to do, not even had her 3 weeks yet and she's certainly challenging me!
Any advice? am i doing anything wrong? is there anything else i could do?
Nickie

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
Our section b gets endless abscesses for no apparent reason - just keep it as clean as you can and it should be fine (hopefully!).

Am sure things will settle down for you both soon
smile.gif

DipseyDeb

Visit site
Just try getting one of those shringes that you can get with children's medicine, and shringe the hole with warm water when you pick her feet out, to keep it clean!

mtj

Visit site
My horse is currently struggling with harvest mites. This looks very similar to mud fever and does involve lots of stamping. There was an article on harvest mites in HH a couple of weeks ago.

Usual treatment is frontline spray supplied by vet.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
maybe with the syringe use a little tiny bit of hibiscrub in the wate. Or maybe better one of those gels the horsey stores do, that keep the wound antiseptic and clean while allowing it to heal.

jnet

Visit site
When you've cleaned out the hole you could spray it with iodine, that should help keep out any further infection in between cleaning bouts.