NOT horsey sorry am astounded anyone who can recommend or advise pls?

indie999

Visit site
Ok 21 year old diagnosed and awaiting treatment for a heart arrythmia, told to continue playing sport etc as normal...goes to the gym etc v fit. Just finished police special training with no problems etc.

Told it wont affect him once treated with cardiac ablation.

Just tried to get him holiday insurance without any conditions £62 per year but they will only cover his heart too for another £300+. Otherwise nothing heart related will be covered. So a heart attack and SVT are two different conditions but they wont cover heart without such a high fee. Am astounded. Can anyone recommend any insurance companies..........is this normal for a treatable condition?

Also in Europe will EHIC card cover him? without private insurance for heart?

EventingMum

Visit site
Obviously slightly different but I struggled to get travel insurance under £600 for my OH and myself last year for a trip to Antigua as he had a heart attack previously. In the end we used goodtogoinsurance.com and got it for much less including cover for his heart. Don't know how they would have been if we had to claim but when our departure was delayed due to the volcanic ash clouds they changed the dates at no extra charge and were very helpful and pleasant to deal with. Might be worth getting a quote from them if you haven't done so.

LynH

Visit site
I have Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia which was treated with cardiac ablation and medication as well as SJS a non heart related illness but classed as life threatening for insurance purposes. I've had various travel insurance quotes over the years which have varied considerably dependent on where I was re finding diagnosis, waiting for treatment and number of recent hospitalisations.
I'm guessing that your quote is so high as he has not yet had the cardiac ablation and it will go down once treated.
I found the cheapest way to get travel insurance with cover for my illnesses was to take out a Nat West Advantage Gold account which has free travel insurance. I rang them with my (long and complicated) medical history and got full cover for a week in Spain for less than £30. I have also used Go Insure but that like others may vary depending on stage of treatment and how recent last hospitalisation was or if you have any future surgery planned.
Good luck with getting the insurance and the cardiac ablation (it's really not as bad as it sounds)

olop

Visit site
I have a medical condition but no longer get travel insurance to cover illness as it is just too expensive for me now & not worth it.
I tend to bulk up on my medication & take more with me just in case & if god forbid anything happened that I would require treatment I would just pay out of pocket, stupid insurance :(

indie999

Visit site
I have a medical condition but no longer get travel insurance to cover illness as it is just too expensive for me now & not worth it.
I tend to bulk up on my medication & take more with me just in case & if god forbid anything happened that I would require treatment I would just pay out of pocket, stupid insurance :(

Thanks for the replies I decided that if he had a serious heart failure or arrest the chances of survival are very very slim with hospitalisation.Also if he dropped dead then he has no money anyway 0 so they wouldnt get any money back if they tried. But just spoke to a friend who has been in Harefield bypasses etc and he is right old and pays normal amounts nothing excessive.