Not strictly CR but you guys may be able to help

louisevictoria

Visit site
Is there anyone in here that passed their driving test after 1st Jan 1997 and has done the HGV/LGV test to drive their lorries ?

As now I am changing jobs it is now looking like a serious possibility, as before it was always too expensive and it would give me a bit more freedom to get out and compete more without having to rely on my stepdad to drive the lorry (its 7.5t).

How difficult is it? I am aware that you need to do the theory and hazard perception test first.

thanks in advance
grin.gif

Natpillai

Visit site
I haven't done it but OH has. It really depends on what your strengths are. He's great at spatial awareness etc. so the driving part was fine for him - I know a few people who have struggled with hazard perception and looking at OH's theory books I wouldn't know where to start!!

Best idea would be for you to buy a hazard perception training CD and theory CD/book and see how you get on with those parts. In terms of the driving, I think it's standard to have 3-5 days training at least in the week leading up to your test (so take time off work!!). They assess you at the centre and then advise how many days they think you should have.

Very pricey but worth it - the only advice I can give is to do tons of preparation for the first bits - for the driving, just like with learning to drive a car, I'm afraid it's a case of having the training and hoping everything works for you on the day!!

aelt

Visit site
Hi

I did mine a year ago. It is hard but aslong as you put the work in then its fine. You have to 1st have a medical so you can get your provisional licence. Once you have that you need to sit the theory test - the theory is easy aslong as you study hard - the hazard perception is tricky - but its about getting the hang of it, you can get a practice dvd.

The driving is hard going as i did intensive course - but think its the only way. so do 4 days training with the test on the 5th day. where i went we double drove so there were two of us learning so one drives and the other watches - which is good as you become more familiar with the routes and learn from each others mistakes.

It cost about £1000 which includes you test fees. Now depending on your job you maybe able to get a grant which will save you loads! i see your in devon - i did mine in exeter with this company - they were really good

Give them a call and you can go up for test drive when you have your prov licence. They are based at the cattle market

http://www.transplantmastertrain.co.uk/

i know loads of girls who have gone through this company and most of us passed 1st time

good luck

louisevictoria

Visit site
thankyou both

I spoke to Sally at transplantmastertrain yesterday and she is sending me all the info as I am planning on doing the intensive course.

aelt - whereabouts are you based?

aelt

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
thankyou both

I spoke to Sally at transplantmastertrain yesterday and she is sending me all the info as I am planning on doing the intensive course.

aelt - whereabouts are you based?

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent - they really are good

im based near bovey tracey - how about you?