Not sure about what happens in the winter!!

lizziebell

Visit site
Why do people bother answering if they can't say anything nice or helpful? It just makes them look silly and immature.... There are loads of threads on here to look at, perhaps avoid ones that annoy you??? Otherwise its almost bullying...

Anyone who has read the OP's previous posts will know that she is 14, and has a lot to learn. I'd rather have a 14yr old that asks questions than one that thinks they know everything (and there are a few of them on here - usually pecking at the 14yr olds that ask questions...)

Its not that silly asking if a stable needs heating - many henhouses and kennels have heaters...

It sounds as though the cob is being pretty well looked after already. I got my first pony years ago, with little experience, and learnt as I went along, mostly be asking silly questions. No its not the ideal way to start off, but when you don't have horsey parents they don't often realise what they have dropped you in when you are bought your first pony! Generally speaking its the child that suffers, not the pony in these cases.

OP is there a branch of the pony club that you could join? They will have indoor rallies over the winter that have stable management lectures, which will help you. it would also introduce you to a lot of local instructors who would be able to help and advise you. In the meantime, get yourself a copy of The Manual of Horsemanship, which is the pony club book, and will help you with most things that you want to know.

I couldn't agree more, and some of the posts replied I don't feel comfortable with given that they are aimed at a 14 year old. If I was 14 and got those replys I would be mortified and very upset.

We all have to learn, and what we think about as a young teenager is very different to how we think as experienced adults.

As to the question:

Mine will start coming in at night at the end of the month. They have a couple of slices of hay, but as a general rule I adlib, so if I check them last thing before bed and they look like they are eating lots, then I throw in a bit more. In the morning they are turned out and I set the stable ready for them to come in at night.

As for heating - I don't think thats such a bad idea. My dogs have heating at the boarding kennels. I guess it would work better in a barn type situation though, as you may loose too much of the heat in a traditional stable set-up.

wiggys_88

Visit site
some of these posts are cruel and offensive to this young lady, at least shes mature enough to ask questions when shes not sure, some girls her age would just experiment without asking or listening to people who are willing to help them. Everyone on this forum had to start out somewhere wether it been youve been brought up around horses or you've taken up horseriding later on in life.

Sol

Visit site
Not read all the replies, but know for a fact stables elsewhere in the world (and arenas) are heated often enough..... so tbh, it's not too silly a question, guess we just accept that we don't tend to in the UK....

Toast

Visit site
slightly disturbing that u dont no the answers to these questions??? i dont mean to sound rude but u really shudnt own a horse if u dont no basic care! i get rather angry (thats me being polite!) at ppl who think they can just chuck a horse in a field! mean bit over...

Slightly disturbing that you think it mean just to chuck a horse in a field. Why shouldnt you as long as it has adequate grazing/haylage and a decent rug?
Cant be doing with bunny huggers who think that think leaving a horse out all night in the cold is cruel. Is that not where they would be in the wild? Unrugged and fluffy?

miss_molly

www.katevickersequestrian.webs.com
A livery yard loacl to me has under floor heating in the stables so thats not a silly question. Its fairly new and money was spent on the set up of the yard, and thought was put into it but its not a top of the range yard in terms of prices its just a general yard / riding school. I think this may be the way forward and in anfew years time new stables will be built with under floor heating as standard.

I take out droppings twice a day as mine are mainly stabled all day and night.

I like to feed enough hay so they at least have a mouthful left when I get back down. Small holed haynets (haylage nets) are a god send as managed to half my mares hay intake.

Find soemone knowledgeable to help you or feel free to PM me with any queries you have so you dont get ridiculed by others at your lack of knowledge.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
Slightly disturbing that you think it mean just to chuck a horse in a field. Why shouldnt you as long as it has adequate grazing/haylage and a decent rug?
Cant be doing with bunny huggers who think that think leaving a horse out all night in the cold is cruel. Is that not where they would be in the wild? Unrugged and fluffy?

I think you misread the post... bonny93 didn't say it's mean.

Dexter

Visit site
If you'd like advice or just someone to bounce ideas off then feel free to PM me. I was once a 14yr old girl with non horsey parents and a totally unsuitable sod of a pony who I'm sure was made worse because I didn't know how to manage him properly. I will always be grateful for the people who took the time to help me. I went on to be a stud groom/instructor/dealers rider and dont mind at all giving advice to anyone who needs it :D

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Looking at the OP's previous posts, i think there s a strong possibility that they are a troll!!

If thats what you think, then why post on the thread? Ignore it if thats what you think... Easy!!!

Seems to me thats a name people like to chuck about without much back up. From my understanding, a troll is someone who causes great arguements and says things to shock people. Hardly shocking in this case. Theres a lot more outrageous things on this forum to get wound up about...

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I'm just getting my horses' hot water bottles ready :D The nights are getting chilly, but it's not time yet to switch on the heating.

Don't you have electric blanket type rugs? No? Just me, then!:p

As your horse is a cob, I suggest that he will be OK if you don't clip him for winter. You may need to clip him if you work him hard and he sweats lots. If not, you can always rug him in various weight rugs according to how cold it is. I put mine in a heavyweight for February when there's feet of snow and he's clipped. He'll be in a lightweight if he doesn't get clipped. Mine gets a tiny feed of chaff and/or readigrass plus supplements in the winter or just some veg/apples etc. He doesn't need tons of feed and you already said your horse was overweight.

I urge you to find someone to mentor you so you learn what to do over winter and how to look after him if he gets mudfever etc.

Andrea83

Visit site
Hello Horserider0912

Winter can feel like a nightmare sometimes and I'm sure that as its your first winter it must feel like a whole world of difficulties.

But there are some amazing hints and tips across these forums - so scour them all and then you'll have a really good rounded idea of what to expect and what your plans should be:

Firstly I would decide on whether you are going to clip him or no that way you can decide on rugs.

Secondly is as its your first winter - think about how much you want to spend on rugs..cheaper end or more expensive; all rugs have a slightly different fit a bit like the difference between Primark, Topshop and H&M clothes fittings; so as a starter for 10 here are the ones I use would advise:

I will concentrate on cheaper/moderate rugs (Weatherbeeta are the best but v.expensive)

If you are NOT going to clip him I would think about lightweight turnout rugs and you can use a fleece under them on the cooler nights. The Masta Zing Lightweight Fixed Neck Turnout is great as it has the fixed neck.

Fixed necks are good because they do keep your fella a bit warmer and the water doesn't drip inside the neck join unlike if you use rugs with neck fastenings; for example the Masta Zing Lightweight Turnout Rug doesn't have a neck cover.

My favourite rug for this time of year is the Mark Todd Autumner Turnout Rug and you can get a neck cover; which does work great for me.

I hope this helps a little on your quest for some clarification on winter routines - it you want any more advice just email me...

candle515

Visit site
I can't believe winter is here already was freezing yesterday morning and my OH still doesn't think it's time to turn the heating on yet!! grrrr!

As for stable advice I know you were asking about advice for the horses but a really good piece of advice is to make sure you get a good winter wardrobe for yourself too - there is nothing worse than mucking out with soggy feet and freezing hands!!! A really good (but really unattractive!) piece is the Caldene Thermal Fleece Rider you wear it under your jods and it is a life saver in colder weather!! You can also get jods which are winter specific, made from slightly thicker material than your regular jods but with really good wicking properties like the Mark Todd winter gisborne jodhpurs .

Hope that helps x