Not sure I can do it - elderly mare - bit long, sorry

Spotsrock

Visit site
She was a total rock star! 20 years with best horse ever! 34 and a real character. The insides just couldn't keep up with the rest of her.

DJ

Visit site
Sorry to hear than ... always a hard decision, but from what i`ve read, most definitely the right one x

Patchworkpony

Visit site
If in doubt don't do it. Once done you can't undo it so you need to be 100% sure in your mind that she is ready. In the past when I have had to do what you are considering it was more of a relief because things had got to a point when the horse wanted to go. Why not wait until it feels completely the right time that way you won't have these grave misgivings now and after the event.

JillA

Visit site
RIP, and huge hugs and well done to you, you genuinely did the "better a day too soon" and spared her any suffering however short it might have been..

Patchworkpony, maybe you should read the whole thread, your post isn't helpful at this point.

Last edited:

LauraWheeler

Visit site
So sorry for your loss.
It's such a hard desition but you have put her first and in doing so have shown her how much you love her.
(((((hugs)))))). xx

Equi

Visit site
You 100% made the right decision. rest easy little mare. What a good owner you are and good luck with your baby x

Elsbells

Visit site
She was a good age and she'd had a wonderful life with loving and careing owners. That's just what I hope I can give my girl if I work very hard. So well done you OP, you've done a wonderful job and she would of known how much she was loved.

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
The right decision made at the right time. I'm so sorry that you have lost your lovely mare, and I'm glad you're at peace with the decision you made. You've done the last act of a caring owner in ensuring your horse isn't suffering and lives their last days with love and kindness - if only more did the same. My thoughts are with you, I know how you must be feeling right now. x