Not sure I want to carry on riding anymore...

MrsMagoo

Visit site
After yet again coming of this morning, I am now having serious doubts as to whether I want to carry on riding anymore...ive been lucky soo far as to not hurt myself but one day I might not!! Its not even neddies fault really, just my confidence has dropped sooo low im not riding her confident enough and my seats got really weak....:(

Does any1 want a new horse horse lol!!!

On that note if I was to consider selling up what should i be looking at in price for the following:

16.1hh ISH 9yrs Bay mare - done all riding club activities, Affilated SJ, not yet done dressage but plenty of scope to go far! Excellant to school etc. Good to box, shoe, do anything
with.

and

3.5tonne Mitsubishi Canter Horsebox, converted 3/4yrs ago - 2 horse, side load with tack quarters, wide ramp and roomy space at back. Easy to drive, just like a car!!

Thanks x

HBII

Visit site
Did you ring Jo about the TFT?

Is there something specific that has made your confidence drop? Is your horse a bit sharper due to the time of year?

Hb

KarenX

Visit site
Thats a big decision to make... are you sure you want to pack up, or is it just the wet, cold winter mornings that are getting to you? Sorry to hear you have lost your confidence lately - what has caused that?

Sorry, I dont know about prices.. depends on so many factors!

Karen
smile.gif

miamibear

Visit site
Please dont give up!!

I suffered from a total loss of confidence and for me changing my horse to something safer did the trick and now im enjoying myself so much i wondered why i put myself through it for so long! I damaged my back seriously and eventually started to think the ability to do sitting trot had left me!!

I also thought i would never hack or compete ever again!

There is hope! You dont have a cr*p seat, your horse just knows how to make you feel like that, you need to find your faith in horses again and have some fun!

Horses are here for pleasure, i think once it becomes horrible and not a pleasure its time for a change! Either that or get some external help in - i did this however and i was too far gone for help, i had to sell him!

Selling her is one thing - selling up is another!! Think about it

Its an awful feeling so *hugs* xx

Rambo

Visit site
I think we're all feeling a bit deflated at the moment...and if you've had a couple of falls as well then it's understandable that you will feel low. Don't make any rash decisions....and remember...the evenings start getting lighter in 8 days
shocked.gif

serena2005

Visit site
its a bit drastic isnt it!?

whats happening to make you fall off? have you got an instructor to help you improve your seat, from the pics of your sig you and your horse look fab together it would be a shame to throw it all away!

MrsMagoo

Visit site
No I am gonna speak to her though - is she expensive?

I think the main thing that knocked my confidence was coming of on that hack - think it was the fact I trusted neddy with my life and then that happened!!! She really got my confidence back throughout the summer and was the best thing ever and now its all gone t*ts up for some reason....:(

I am trying to think it through properly but having a low day....

SSM

Visit site
Firstly big hug - I really have been there - it's horrible - but DON'T give up you will regret it, I lost 23 years by doing so
frown.gif

TFT has really helped me in the showring - I was so frozen with fear I just sat there and could not even get her to trot.

You need a sympathetic instructor who takes you back to basics and works to get your confidence back (shame you are not up here, have a fantastic one!)

randira

Visit site
Really sorry to hear you are feeling so low mate, went through the same thing last year after I lost a horse. I am not even going to talk prices for your horse because its nonsence and not what you want to do at all.

I have only one suggestion as its what I did. Cut her feed down, hang your saddle up and turn her away for a month - plan nothing, have no lessons, don't ride. Spend the time doing other stuff, enjoy the festivities, enjoy looking after your mare without riding. Go to a couple of shows on foot (I will come with you) and watch people - after a couple of weeks you will be itching to get back to it and fed up of watching people jumping when you know you and your mare are more than capable of whooping there ass!!!!! When you do decide you cant stay off her back any longer - go hacking, schooling - get your feel and strength back and go from there - I'm just down the road, dont be afraid to ask for help. I'm sure talking to someone like the Jo lady won't hurt, but really its got to come from you at your pace.

Good luck buddy

R x

HBII

Visit site
Her consultation phone call costs £50, personally it is the best evey £50 I have spent in my life. That fee is a one off you dont pay anymore and you can ring up for top up sessions.

I have a copy of a TFT sequence I can send it to you if you wish to see what you do ... and get a feel for it.

How did you come off, did your mare spook, trip or stumble? Was she naughty or was it an accident? Dont answer if you dont want to.

Hb

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I came back to riding after 5 years away and I was rubbish - it has taken me a long time to build up my confidence again as I was no longer 19 and stupidly brave. I had TFT and it has really helped I feel like I am back to my old self and how I know I can ride. I am now hunting and popping 4ft hedges for fun when others are going through the gate. My Sj was a real nightmare and again all my confidence has returned and I no longer panic. I can honestly say TFT has made a real difference as at one point I did wonder why the hell I was still riding! Give it a go!

MrsMagoo

Visit site
Hi...yeh we will have to go to shows and watch, that may kick me up the bum lol!!
She only has a small scoop of nuts as it is and a handful in the morning (just as everyone else has breakfast and to keep her quiet)!!
It was my plan to just take a step back over xmas/new year but Im just bit worried of letting her have all that time of and then she will be worse when she comes back into work??? I have cut back riding to just a few days a week and just schooling/hacking etc....
B x

MrsMagoo

Visit site
Oh thats not too expensive and handy that its done over the phone, is that right? That would be lovely if u could send it over so I can see....

Its always silly things for me coming of and most times I really should just be able to stay on - Its just she is soo quick, like this morning she spook, shied sideways, dropped a shoulder and i was of!!! usually that would be no sweat to stay on give her a kick but at the mo I just seem to be dropping of lol....

Kelly1982

Visit site
You are NOT giving up riding young lady
mad.gif

You are a very talented rider and you have an amazing horse, you are just having a slight blip at the moment.

I really do think you should give TFT a go and invest in as many lessons as you can just doing simple stuff to help get your confidence back.

And also if it helps maybe get someone else to jump your mare for a while until you feel more confident. It sometimes helps watching someone else do it first and when you realise she isn't going to chuck anyone off then you may feel a bit safer on her.

Failing that though i am more than happy to look after her and your lorry for the time being LOL
tongue.gif
Just kidding
grin.gif

MrsMagoo

Visit site
haha deal
tongue.gif
she's yours lol
Yeh I have asked the guy on my yard if he can jump her and take her out on a canter hack for me until I feel braver - just fitting in the time for him to do it!!

samp

Visit site
You need to find yourself a really good instructor that will help you get the best out of your horse and to help your confidence. I considered selling my mare after some vertical rears - I gave her the benefit of the doubt found a new instructor - yes she has still reared but through fright out hacking and we have gone from strength to strength. Had not had a lesson for about 8 weeks and went recently and she could not believe the vast improvement and the gact I was so much more confident and not standing for any nonsense.

On the other hand another ladyup our yard had a youngster that she was petrified to even trot on after 18months she gave him up and got a lovely new horse, who is a saint and she is so much more confident

Kelly1982

Visit site
Have you spoken to Lisa?? What has she said??

I know its expensive but what about sending Star to her for a while and you have lessons with her while Star is there.

Lisa is very understanding and knows Star well so maybe thats another option to consider. It seems a shame to throw it all away now when you was doing so well together in the summer
frown.gif

samp

Visit site
Unfortunately with horses you always have these set backs. You have got to think of what you achieved with her in the summer. If the spooking is a recent thing maybe she is in some discomfort? Has anyone else ridden her.

The fact you are tense means you loose your balance more. Just walk her out on hacks with a lead for the moment, rebuild your trust in one another and go backwards a bit. That is what I did with my mare and now we are just starting to trust each other again like before the incidences

little_legs

Visit site
I can relate to how scarey it is to fall off on a hack, especially when your horse bolts of down a main road and there is nothing you can do about it !

I lost my confidence and wouldnt hack out on my own for a good 6 months, even now 2 years in, I talk myself out of hacking on my own.

But I enjoy the rest of it.

Don't give up, I gave up from the age of 16 and restarted again when I was 23, wasted 7 years of my life not having a horse!

Jane & William

Weezy

Visit site
If I were you I would take a break - its Christmas! Let her have 3 weeks off, get CHristmas and New Year out of the way and then crack on next year with some TFT help and a refreshed attitude - wont do the horse ANY harm, I promise and you sound totally fed up and that attitude wont get you anywhere other than the path of frustration, so take the pressure off, enjoy Christmas and re-group!

Pidge

Visit site
Please don't do anything drastic. Horses have a habit of giving us great highs and lows! The advice already given is really good, please try it. When you feel really down re your horse/riding then try to focus on something really good your horse and you have done. Failing that write down the good and bad things to try to put it into perspective. Don't make any rash decisions that you may come to regret.

so03

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have any of your friends got a super-safe, very quiet and trustworthy horse that you could borrow for a few rides to help with your confidence?

[/ QUOTE ]

Superb idea, Becky you're welcome to ride Bonnie. OK so she's not in the "super safe, very quiet and trustworthy" section, but she's not too screw-loose at the moment. I can get both horses ridden at once. I've dislocated my knee again, so it can only really cope with one ride a day. It's strapped up nice and tight.
grin.gif