Not sure I'm ready to give up

dodgers89

Visit site
Hi all

I took my gorgeous boy on loan 15 months ago. He was loaned to me as 'suitable for a novice' and he's definitely not! We tried for ages and although we get on fab on the ground and I love him to pieces, I just can't get on riding him :( After masses of spinning and spooking and a couple of falls, I lost all my confidence and stopped enjoying riding. I got in touch with his owners and he's going to go back which is breaking my heart!
I've started having some riding lessons which is really helping me build my confidence back up and although I'm really sad to be letting his go, I'm happy in that I know I've made the right decision for both of us.
In my head I was thinking my husband and I would be better off not paying for a horse, I would have more time, I wouldn't have to worry about steep farm tracks in winter etc etc. However, this evening I went up to feed the horses and I just don't think I want to give up on having a horse! I realise the one I have isn't the one for me so I thought I would look around and see if anything jumped out.
I guess I'm wanting some advice on whether I'm being a total idiot in wanting to jump in to getting another horse?
Also, if I do decide to go for it, how can I know I'm getting a confidence giver, suitable for a novice??
Thanks in advance!

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
I could have written that post, I too have decided to send my loan horse back after a year. Like yours he is a bit too sharp for me and I had an awful time this week jumping him. I did not fall off but very very nearly on a couple of occasions. I'm not sure I am ready to give up entirely either and have found myself looking up "cobs" and "bombproof", I cant really imagine life without a horse. What on earth would I do with my time and money?!?

I have been riding for about 40 years and I don't think I am a novice but I definitely need a confidence giver and one who does not take the mick if I am wobbly. I hope someone else will come along and tell us how to find one. I keep looking at dealers websites but cobby/happy hacker/confidence givers are surprisingly expensive and I feel a little hesitant about buying from a dealer.

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
Don't give up! I wouldn't mind looking at something from a dealer but the advice I'd give you is take a person with you when you try it. Make sure that person knows your situation but isn't necessarily a friend. Sometimes a friend, no matter how knowledgeable, will find it difficult saying a horse isn't suitable if you have fallen for it from the moment you saw it. Confidence giving kind horses are out there just take your time to find the right one.

Polar Bear9

Visit site
If you're not ready to give up then don't :) Simple as that. There's plenty of quiet horses out there, maybe an older animal?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Don't give up! Simple!
Your current horse isn't the right one for you- that's all. There are millions more horses out there for sale or loan and they don't have to cost the earth either. We bought last summer the best little 15hh cobby type for £1300. He's worth his weight in gold

RubysGold

Visit site
Don't give up. If you find the right horse you will have so much fun, and you will love it as much if not more then the one you currently have

Get somebody experienced to view horses with you,don't discount the older horses that have seen a bit of the world and hopefully you will soon be showing us your new lovely horse

FfionWinnie

Visit site
It's certainly not worth shelling out for one you don't enjoy. There will be plenty suitable ones out there however. Go for it I reckon.

canteron

Visit site
Reading your post...you mention the steep farm tracks, etc. Maybe it would be an idea to spend the summer really concentrating on improving your confidence/skills and then if you still want a horse in the depth of Winter, take the plunge!! Its just that keeping a horse is so easy/delightful at this time of year and its easy to forget the horrors of Winter! Also, you may just find in the intervening months the perfect horse comes along!

fishy

Visit site
Don't give up. Keep having your lessons and looking around, if you see something you like and it ticks your boxes ask your instructor to go and have a look with you. I have been semi forced to give up as I lost my horse suddenly earlier this year and my non horsey oh doesn't want me to have another. I'm lucky in that my daughter lets me do hers a couple of days a week but it's not the same. Talking of dealers, hers came from a dealer. He wasn't a novice ride, but he has a heart of gold and looks after his rider. So I'd have to say don't dis count them. Go live your dream x

Visit site
If all else fails get a shetland pony. They don't take up much time in winter nor cost a lot. You can drive them. You can take them out in-hand showing, horse agility etc. And the money you are saving on feed and shoes and the likes for a horse you can put aside for either riding lessons or a horse more suited to your needs when one comes along.

Many studs are breeding less and so you could probably get a 10-15yo ex-broodmare for next to nothing that would enjoy a change of lifestyle.

Ps I am always telling people to get shetlands so feel free to ignore me lol!

dodgers89

Visit site
I could have written that post, I too have decided to send my loan horse back after a year. Like yours he is a bit too sharp for me and I had an awful time this week jumping him. I did not fall off but very very nearly on a couple of occasions. I'm not sure I am ready to give up entirely either and have found myself looking up "cobs" and "bombproof", I cant really imagine life without a horse. What on earth would I do with my time and money?!?

I have been riding for about 40 years and I don't think I am a novice but I definitely need a confidence giver and one who does not take the mick if I am wobbly. I hope someone else will come along and tell us how to find one. I keep looking at dealers websites but cobby/happy hacker/confidence givers are surprisingly expensive and I feel a little hesitant about buying from a dealer.

I've been searching for the exact same things! If I'm going to do it, I want something much smaller than 16.3 but because of my height, I think 15.3 is as small as I would want to go!