Not sure what to do- kids pony

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
I’ve posted quite a bit lately as I just don’t know what to do about my daughters pony. It’s consuming my thoughts and making me anxious.

1) We’ve had her 4 months. First 3 months she was green but so quiet and sweet (daughter would literally sit on her tackless in the field, daughter got nervous jumping once and fell off, and the pony was so sweet and didn’t react, she never spooked, got strong just a sweet green pony. We also did groundwork from day 1)

2) pony had 2 weeks off, coming back she couldn’t trot and was really unhappy (posted about this and had bone scan, she’s got SI arthritis and hock arthritis. Was injected 2 weeks ago. Also tested for PSSM 1 and she’s got that too)

3) rehabbing in hand she’s reared and tried to strike out every time since being injected. No improvement to symptoms since injections. Still can’t trot without hopping, very unhappy to trot. Not ridden yet, rehabbing in hand. Had good advice on here the explosive behavioural is likely to be PSSM so I’ve started changing diet, rugging adding vit e magnesium etc. I’ve not rehabbed for a few days because the last time we did she went upright, spun and kicked out at my daughter.

I bought this pony so my daughter could have fun and build confidence for a few years before growing out of her (daughter is slim and already slightly tall). I’m faced with the fact I can probably never sell this pony now. I’m working hard to get the pSSm under control but concerned if she gets symptoms again is she going to rear and strike out? She’s 13.3 so a kids pony. She’s only 6. I’ve given up horses as a hobby for me due to losing my horse (and having a horrendous year or pain, rehab and behavioural issues). I’m only doing this for my kids but once they are 18 I’d prefer to be horse free (we’ve got an oldie but he’ll probably be retired or have died by then)

My question is what do I do? Will this pony come right and go back to being safe and sweet if I manage the PSSM or will she always be a ticking time bomb? Rearing and striking out if she’s tight? I’m at the stage where I’m actually now really nervous about rehabbing her again and dreading it after she’s reared and struck out every time I’ve done anything with her the past 2 weeks. She gives no warning which is the scary thing. I deal with the rear and she goes back to being submissive and sweet. I’ve deal with so much behavioural stuff in the past I just don’t want it anymore, I’ve been hurt before (not by her) and it’s not worth it. She’s got arthritis too which isn’t great at a young age. Thanks

Last edited:

eahotson

Visit site
To be very honest you are going to spend a lot of time and money trying to rehab this pony with no guarantees that she will ever be suitable for what you want.A great shame but there you are.Myself I would put to sleep and start again.There is no shame in this and the pony can't be happy either.The BHS friends at the end can be a great help and support should you need this and they may also help with explaining things to your little girl.

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
To be very honest you are going to spend a lot of time and money trying to rehab this pony with no guarantees that she will ever be suitable for what you want.A great shame but there you are.Myself I would put to sleep and start again.There is no shame in this and the pony can't be happy either.The BHS friends at the end can be a great help and support should you need this and they may also help with explaining things to your little girl.
Thank you eahotson. This is what I keep thinking :-( however my daughter absolutely loves this pony however she’s now losing confidence. Yes friends at the end were amazing when I lost my horse. Part of me thinks should I give her a chance with the PSSM management, but a big part of me is terrified about even lunging her and the trust has gone :-( I spent a year of my life trying to fix my heart horse and I had quite a few times I could’ve been seriously injured

Dexter

Visit site
Mine went from lethal to dope on a rope. Given she was sweet and kind before Id give her some time and then reassess. Try and switch off a bit if you can. Give her 2 weeks and then try the rehab again. If her muscles are still hard the PSSM is an issue. They should feel like jelly when you wobble them.

If you get to that stage and theres still issues then you can reassess, but try not to worry too much just yet.

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
Mine went from lethal to dope on a rope. Given she was sweet and kind before Id give her some time and then reassess. Try and switch off a bit if you can. Give her 2 weeks and then try the rehab again. If her muscles are still hard the PSSM is an issue. They should feel like jelly when you wobble them.

If you get to that stage and theres still issues then you can reassess, but try not to worry too much just yet.
Thanks Dexter. If I can get her back to how she was before she’s worth trying for. The muscles are getting softer gradually so I’ll wait until they are jelly. Is yours reliability dope now or do they relapse to being explosive in bad weather or too much grass? Because she’s a kids pony there’s always that worry if she relapses she could hurt someone :-( I also worry about when my daughter is too big for her (probably in a year or so) and she’ll need work but I can’t sell

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
If she was a horse, if I got her right I could possibly loan as a happy hacker but as she’s a kids pony I can’t risk her hurting someone’s kid. My daughter is 13 (novice) but isn’t quick or confident enough to correct a rear in hand so it escalates. This is so hard!! If I could make her better with diet changes it feels like it’s worth a shot but as she’s only 6 (the pony) and my daughter is almost too tall I can’t see a future as a kids pony :-( But I feel I should give her a chance (however I’m also at the stage where I’ve had enough of dealing with rearing and getting hurt after my last horse)

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
Your daughter loves this pony. She will soon get to love the one you replace her with and hopefully get to do more with it. She is only young for a short time don't waste it hoping the pony will get right.
Thanks Gloi. It’s so tricky and having a pony you can’t ride (that’s now rearing and trying to kick you is hard). She’s only been back riding a year after a big confidence knock. The first horse we bought wasn’t suitable (much stronger than we were lead to believe- started tanking off) so we sold him. This mare was a bit on the smaller side but seemed so sweet and willing. My daughter hadn’t had her long before this all happened

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Thanks Gloi. It’s so tricky and having a pony you can’t ride (that’s now rearing and trying to kick you is hard). She’s only been back riding a year after a big confidence knock. The first horse we bought wasn’t suitable (much stronger than we were lead to believe- started tanking off) so we sold him. This mare was a bit on the smaller side but seemed so sweet and willing. My daughter hadn’t had her long before this all happened
Third time lucky. Maybe approach the pony club and see if there is anything coming through to loan, that has recommendations.

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
Where did you buy the pony? Did you have a vetting with bloods taken? What did the previous owner say about the pony's history?
I would be looking at how she used to be kept/why is it showing just now, depending on the age of the pony of course.
I had vetting. She’s only young, hasn’t done much. The sudden change would all point to the PSSM I think. She was going well for a few months, we moved from a yard with zero grass to one with some grass, at this point she had 2 weeks off work (after the time off and move the symptoms happened very quickly which made me get a work up and Pssm test), I also changed her chaff to one with alfalfa (which I’m going to change). From my research I understand pSSm symptoms can start around 6 onwards

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
Thanks so much for everyone’s help and input so far. I’m going to adjust the diet (remove the Dengie chaff with Alfalfa in it) and allow the other diet changes I’ve made for the Pssm to take effect. I’ll give her sone time and if we’re still rearing and striking out when I try to walk her in hand (and if she still can’t get into trot after Pssm management and steroid injections, bone scan X-rays etc) then I think I need to make some hard decisions

eahotson

Visit site
Thanks so much for everyone’s help and input so far. I’m going to adjust the diet (remove the Dengie chaff with Alfalfa in it) and allow the other diet changes I’ve made for the Pssm to take effect. I’ll give her sone time and if we’re still rearing and striking out when I try to walk her in hand (and if she still can’t get into trot after Pssm management and steroid injections, bone scan X-rays etc) then I think I need to make some hard decisions
Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Dexter

Visit site
Thanks Dexter. If I can get her back to how she was before she’s worth trying for. The muscles are getting softer gradually so I’ll wait until they are jelly. Is yours reliability dope now or do they relapse to being explosive in bad weather or too much grass? Because she’s a kids pony there’s always that worry if she relapses she could hurt someone :-( I also worry about when my daughter is too big for her (probably in a year or so) and she’ll need work but I can’t sell

Completely back to normal, needs much less maintenance-wise now and totally reliable. I think they tend to get fairly bad before they tell you theres an issue, so they take a while to get back to normal, but then tend to not get that bad again.

I'd up the rugs till you get to the point where the pony is too hot, then drop down weight. That way you get a base level to work from. Some seem ok with minimal rugging but lots need bundling up in layers

catembi

Visit site
PSSMs often get worse at this time of year when the weather changes. There are several groups on FB with some v knowledgeable people...might be worth joining a couple if you're on FB...?

SEL

Visit site
My PSSM mare is unclipped and has been in 200g overnight - 10-12 degrees here. I got it wrong one day last week (100g) & was met by a very evil witch that morning!

It's a mind shift rugging a fluffy pony but take the rug off mine in the morning and she is very warm and her muscles jiggle. Too cold and she gets what looks like a fat pad around her withers - it's actually tense muscles and if you heat her up it vanishes (as does a solid crest which is interesting)

Mine was also diagnosed after I thought it was a good idea to chuck a 5yo in 20 acres for 3 weeks to decompress after a summer of starting work under saddle. I got back a stiff, couldn't trot, biting horror. We looked at ulcers first and I'd still recommend good gut support.

I really do understand this is hard but I think virtually every horse or pony comes with some sort of issue. A friend's daughter spent 6 months caring for 1 with laminitis but that little mare went on to be her pony of a lifetime.

What situations is the behaviour getting challenging? I'd struggle to rehab mine on grass without a battle even today - she's restricted so her feet hit a field and the toys come out of the pram

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
My PSSM mare is unclipped and has been in 200g overnight - 10-12 degrees here. I got it wrong one day last week (100g) & was met by a very evil witch that morning!

It's a mind shift rugging a fluffy pony but take the rug off mine in the morning and she is very warm and her muscles jiggle. Too cold and she gets what looks like a fat pad around her withers - it's actually tense muscles and if you heat her up it vanishes (as does a solid crest which is interesting)

Mine was also diagnosed after I thought it was a good idea to chuck a 5yo in 20 acres for 3 weeks to decompress after a summer of starting work under saddle. I got back a stiff, couldn't trot, biting horror. We looked at ulcers first and I'd still recommend good gut support.

I really do understand this is hard but I think virtually every horse or pony comes with some sort of issue. A friend's daughter spent 6 months caring for 1 with laminitis but that little mare went on to be her pony of a lifetime.

What situations is the behaviour getting challenging? I'd struggle to rehab mine on grass without a battle even today - she's restricted so her feet hit a field and the toys come out of the pram
Thanks SEL that’s reassuring, I’d love it if we could get our girl sorted and happy. Ok sounds like I need to rug more so I can do that. I’m going to try and chuck everything I can at her and hope so much it helps

So far rehab (from steroid injections) has been walking in the field (not her field), in the school and on short hacks. Every time she has reared with no warning about 15mins in and then acts as if nothing happened (apart from last time when she got away from my daughter) but when I grabbed her, she walked with me with no rearing. I’m hoping it’s all down to tightness and can be solved. I’ve stopped all rehab for now to give diet changes and rugging a chance

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I would definitely put her in a heavier rug. Absolutely cut out the alfalfa, it's a massive indicator here, strip the diet back to as near zero sugar as you can, and drop everything else except for the vitamin E. Magnesium is another thing that can kick some horses off, so I'd cut it out for now, see if there's any difference in her before maybe restarting it. Whatever you add in, do it one thing at a time and give it a chance to have an effect.

With mine I can tell within 48 hours how something has affected her. It's taken 2 years of tweaks to get it right (slightly hampered by a rogue YO in the middle thinking she knew better than I did) but it's been worth it.

Arthritis at 6 needn't be a reason to pts if you can manage the PSSM, and you know she's a sweet pony after all.

Dexter

Visit site
Magnesium is another thing that can kick some horses off, so I'd cut it out for now, see if there's any difference in her before maybe restarting it.

Magnesium is considered pretty essential for type 1 PSSM, and was added after the issues started, so should be fine in this case. It only becomes an issue when the calcium/magnesium ratio is out of whack.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Magnesium is considered pretty essential for type 1 PSSM, and was added after the issues started, so should be fine in this case. It only becomes an issue when the calcium/magnesium ratio is out of whack.

I have to disagree, not only from personal experience of a PSSM horse managed without magnesium, which she cannot tolerate, but also the many horses I've seen over the years who have been given magnesium calmers and have adversely reacted to them.

there is something going on with the OP's pony, it might be a seasonal change, feeling the cold, response to arthritic changes - but the simplest and quickest tests are to up the rugging and strip back the diet and start over. I suspect the alfalfa is the main culprit but, from experience, I wouldn't assume, is start from scratch.

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
I would definitely put her in a heavier rug. Absolutely cut out the alfalfa, it's a massive indicator here, strip the diet back to as near zero sugar as you can, and drop everything else except for the vitamin E. Magnesium is another thing that can kick some horses off, so I'd cut it out for now, see if there's any difference in her before maybe restarting it. Whatever you add in, do it one thing at a time and give it a chance to have an effect.

With mine I can tell within 48 hours how something has affected her. It's taken 2 years of tweaks to get it right (slightly hampered by a rogue YO in the middle thinking she knew better than I did) but it's been worth it.

Arthritis at 6 needn't be a reason to pts if you can manage the PSSM, and you know she's a sweet pony after all.
Thanks Rowreach, some very good advice there. She was having issues when just on vit E (plus blue chip bal and dengie) so I only added magnesium in a couple of days ago. I’ve cut every supplement from the diet the past few days (tumeric, devils claw) and have today switched to the most basic non mollassed chaff with no alfalfa and changed to forage plus winter balancer. I agree I need to get the diet as basic as possible, with the minerals she needs. The muscles are slowly feeling softer (and she’s very chilled). I’m going to keep the magnesium for now (just because the issues were there before I added it). If she starts rearing again when I start walking her for the first time since making the changes then I’ll look to decrease or remove