Not sure what to feed?

pegasus1986

Visit site
Hi i have a 17.1hh idxwb and a 15hh nfxwb at the moment they are on hi fibre nuts, hi fi and sugarbeet aswel as adlib hay they are hunted 1-2 times a week and ridden 4-5 times a week hacking up to 3 hours and competing at dressage also, there not looking too lean at the mo but the more they do im wondering if what im feeding them is enough or if they should have something different or keep them on what there on and just up quantitys the fitter they get. Thank you

be positive

Visit site
They are certainly getting plenty of work, more than most will be during the winter and should be very fit, if they require a bit more energy or condition oil would be ideal, either veg oil or micronised linseed can be added to what they already get, if they still drop off then up the quantity of nuts and beet, I find feeding 3 times a day can really help, 4 if you are able to.
Many horses do well keeping the weight on until the new year when they can suddenly start to drop especially if it gets colder so monitor them and try and up the feed a little before they lose too much otherwise it can prove hard to get back on if they are hunting regularly, once the grass starts to come through they generally pick up quickly.

HorsesandParrots

Visit site
I love dengie Alfa a oil and top spec cool condition nuts or baileys no.4 nuts when mine are working hard, alongside baileys performance balancer to eensure they have the protein they need and all the right vits and mins. :)