Not wanting to extend a loan

Julia719

New User
Visit site
Hiya, I wanted some peoples advice and opinions, I’ve loaned a horse for just over 4 months now on a 6 month contract and since I’ve decided I want to buy my own rather than loan, I’m not sure how to go about informing the owner about not wanting to extend the contract without offending her? If you’ve ever loaned out a horse how would you like the loaner to go about this?
thank you

paddi22

Visit site
the owner will totally understand. I'll let them know as a month before the six months is up so they can start looking for another sharers. it's perfectly natural for you not to want to extend the contract and they will understand your reasons, don't feel bad about it. someone with a horse on loan knows this happens all the time, it won't be out of blue for them. .

Surbie

Visit site
Just to echo the above, the owner of mine has asked for as much notice as possible if he ever goes back, particularly if he has to return in winter as she would need to sort a stable for him.

Julia719

New User
Visit site
Well in that case just be honest with them and say you’ll be looking for your own and that you’ll be looking to return him on the six month contract date.
Thank you for your help, I’ve let them know and asked if it’ll be possible for him to return 2 weeks before the 6 month contract date as I have a bit of time off then and they seem unhappy about that, is it unreasonable to return him early? I don’t have much experience with loans so not sure

conniegirl

Visit site
Thank you for your help, I’ve let them know and asked if it’ll be possible for him to return 2 weeks before the 6 month contract date as I have a bit of time off then and they seem unhappy about that, is it unreasonable to return him early? I don’t have much experience with loans so not sure
If it is in your contract that it will be 6 months then I really think you need to stick to that, not 5 months 2 weeks. They may well need the time to arrange livery.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
If it is in your contract that it will be 6 months then I really think you need to stick to that, not 5 months 2 weeks. They may well need the time to arrange livery.
Equally, if the contract states six months but there is a 1 month notice clause which can be invoked at any time, the loaner can send back in a months time.

My hacking chum has just done this. Had a mare on 6 months loan for her son (loan could be extended after) but after 5 weeks she decided it wasnt working out, so gave owner a months notice. Ended up keeping horse an extra week over, to help owner out tho.

Carlosmum

Visit site
I had to do this, and send a pony back to his owner. I was dreading it, but she was quite happy, she found him a new home and I delivered him for her. Pony is happy in his new place and his new Mum adores him. I think I gave her about 6-8 weeks notice, though time was not really a problem for me.