Notice period to Leave a Yard when rent has been paid in advance

Lethal Spirit

New User
Visit site
Hi there,
Back into horse ownership after 40 years!! I have a legal question about yards. I paid my yard owner 3 months in advance when i moved in which takes me to the end of January though it is normally a monthly payment. Now they want me to leave as they want to do building works. From when can they give me notice? We have no written contract or agreement.

Equi

Visit site
Have you got a written contract? If not they can tell you to leave tomorrow if they want. But make sure they repay the money you’ve overpaid.

ihatework

Visit site
I’d expect the minimum amount of notice any reasonable YO to give would be one month, unless livery has done something seriously amiss!

windand rain

Visit site
A month and refund any overpayment or realistically if they don't want to repay at the end of the 3 months. You do have a verbal contract and the implication of that is either 1 or 3 months depending on the agreement to pay

Fred66

Visit site
I would have thought as you paid for 3 months then this is what you are contracted for and if they wish to break this then they would need to compensate you. However they could make it seem uncomfortable so I would suggest a conversation with them regarding when they would like you to leave and what refund you would be entitled and negotiate.

Last edited:

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Usually if there is no contract the notice period is how often the rent is paid e.g. if you pay monthly, it's one month.

I'm not sure if the initial 3 months would be seen as paying 3 monthly or not given that the intention was to then pay monthly.

So the minimum they need to give is a month and refund from then till the end of January. However given we are already well into December, a month's notice from now will take you well into January.