Novice 28

Wolfie

Visit site
As some of you will know, the SJ is not going so well right now, so I am venturing to the monochrome side for a bit and have very foolishly elected to enter affiliated dressage on a ticket. The test in question is novice 28 and I have dutifully dled it from dressage diagrams.

Now, I am not an expert by any means, but I usually go on the premise that any movement is usually mirrored on the opposite rein. Having a mind like a sieve, this helps me a bit! Is it my imagination or is medium trot only shown once, and the test ends in walk (in fact there is a whole lot of walk, so our score is going to be appalling bad anyway :eek: )

Any info that can put my little brain at ease is welcome :)

star

Visit site
not all tests are mirror images and it is rare that the walk is a mirror image and often not the medium trot either. in N28 you should be doing one lot of medium trot KXM, medium walk from C to H, free walk HXF then medium walk from F down the centre line to the halt at X.

Last edited:

DarkHorseB

Visit site
No you have the right test! It is a 2008 version. Not all tests mirror themselves - I agree it can make them harder to learn!
This one only has one medium trot and yes you walk down CL at end to halt at X

Wolfie

Visit site
Thanks star and DarkHorseB :) I was a bit worried I had only gotten half the test or something. I know pretty much nothing about dressage!

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Yes, you do halt from a walk - which confused me greatly too, so much so that I decided to trot up the centre line because 'there's no way you only have to half from a walk in a novice; that's far too easy' :rolleyes: To be fair though, I spent two minutes learning the test whilst mounted (snuck into the space of someone who'd withdrawn - not usually that last minute :p) so was surprised to get that far without getting lost! It does ride quite nicely though, not many 'funny' moves :)

Wolfie

Visit site
I'm glad I am not the only one who found it a bit odd! I am useless with the instructions, need to use the pictures and just couldn't quite accept it!