Novice Breeder Looking for Tips

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Oh and final little addition before I stop spamming my own thread, mare was winking and showing signs of being in season starting Thursday morning before the scan, but hasn’t shown any signs of being in season all weekend. Nothing at all from friday onwards, does that mean anything? She was in season when she first arrived and it lasted a few days (4 ish I think) but I literally saw her squirt twice before the scan and nothing else afterwards ?‍♀️

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I've no advice to add but will be looking forward to updates and learnings as you progress.

You sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders a d a great set up. The very best of luck with it all.

Just remember that sometimes the journey is best part. I'm sure you'll learn so much!

TheMule

Visit site
Thanks all. I can’t send her anywhere, she’d been at the stud she was born at for her whole 16 years until she came to me and the loading was a nightmare. She arrived very stressed and with cuts all over her face. She’s also only been here a month so I wanted her to settle in and trust us, she’s not used to much regular handling of the non stud sort, before I tried transporting her again. In fairness the vet did suggest taking her there but I felt it would distress her far more and once explained she agreed.

First collection I picked up was taken at 4.30am and the stallion is an older chap so I do kind of understand why the owner didn’t want him doing it again in that heat. That said I guess it’s a summer thing anyway but I don’t know how they manage it usually.

I will ask her to scan day after insemination this time anyway, now that I know it should be done. I don’t think there’s been any deliberate attempt to get it wrong, she was as puzzled as we were that ovulation hadn’t happened. Her exact words Tuesday were ‘perfect timing’ when she scanned. She showed me the follicle as well, not that I knew what I was looking at, but apparently size indicated imminent ovulation.

My problem is being limited by the stud owner, wanting to do absolutely the best by the mare and also not making my husband want to divorce me. This potential foal also means way more to me than it possibly should, having lost its sibling in such a horrible way 2 years ago and not really getting any justice for him. So I’m pretty much willing to do whatever it takes to safely have another. I haven’t told the vet that of course but I’d guess she can see how much it matters.

I do understand that- I got my broodmare last Summer aged 15 and she had never left the farm where she was born and had never travelled. It was stressful for her, she got dropped straight at stud and they were pretty horrified, she nearly got sent back to me day 1! But now she has travelled several different places and has learned that that’s just how life is, and it's fine. If she and/ or the baby are critically ill you will need her to travel.

You have an older mare who will need good timing and a good post-insemination protocol to maximise your chances. Ask the vet to leave you some oxytocin if you're confident injecting and definitely do a post-insemination scan and flush if needed. If would then scan at 14 and 16 days.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I do understand that- I got my broodmare last Summer aged 15 and she had never left the farm where she was born and had never travelled. It was stressful for her, she got dropped straight at stud and they were pretty horrified, she nearly got sent back to me day 1! But now she has travelled several different places and has learned that that’s just how life is, and it's fine. If she and/ or the baby are critically ill you will need her to travel.

You have an older mare who will need good timing and a good post-insemination protocol to maximise your chances. Ask the vet to leave you some oxytocin if you're confident injecting and definitely do a post-insemination scan and flush if needed. If would then scan at 14 and 16 days.

Thank you, I’m not sure I could inject but hubby being an insulin diabetic could so that’s worth considering. I plan to work with her to resolve the loading issue but wanted to get the bad journey a distance away first and have her totally comfortable with us, which she’s starting to be now. She’s a big girl too, 17hh full and very stocky Irish Draught so I have to consider the safety of everyone around her too. Her last foal was natural covering so it’s also been a while since she had all this AI interference too! She’s been really good about it all so far and has made friends with daughter’s mare who is a good loader and who I plan to use to help her get used to the idea.

I have absolutely no idea where I’d be without this place to bounce it all around! So thank you all very much for your patience and advice.

Horses_Rule

Visit site
perhaps you should look into stallions with better terms? Being as the season is getting on now some studs are offering some really good terms - depending how desperate you are to have a foal from your mare there are thousands of stallions around so it would be worth have a scout around IMO

Bikerchickone

Visit site
perhaps you should look into stallions with better terms? Being as the season is getting on now some studs are offering some really good terms - depending how desperate you are to have a foal from your mare there are thousands of stallions around so it would be worth have a scout around IMO

Thank you, but I want to stick with this one, it’s not just wanting a foal, I want this particular stallion as well so I need to stick with it. Stallion owner is genuinely really lovely and helpful so I hope all will go well next time. Everything crossed!

Four Seasons

Visit site
Breeding isn't for the faint hearted... or the broke... ? If you do have a blob, you have a high chance for a mare next year! Friend of mine used 72 hours old sperm (on purpose, wanted a mare). And her mare took it, she still ended up with a stallion ?

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Breeding isn't for the faint hearted... or the broke... ? If you do have a blob, you have a high chance for a mare next year! Friend of mine used 72 hours old sperm (on purpose, wanted a mare). And her mare took it, she still ended up with a stallion ?

I‘ll be delighted with a colt, if I don’t get one this time it means we’ll be doing it all again next year ? I don’t think hubby can take it twice ?

Hallo2012

Visit site
as a stallion owner i cant actually ever imagine it being to hot to collect, and i have to box mine to the stud. its hardly strenuous exercise, over and done with in a few minutes? less exertion than a walk hack.

but fingers crossed for your blob!

Bikerchickone

Visit site
A little update from me. Vet scanned this morning and we are not in foal. Sadly, since I last posted the stallion has also retired from stud so there is no second attempt available there. I’m trying not to get too despondent about it but struggling even though I know these things happen and it can’t be helped. There’s also no guarantee the stallion will be available next year, and if he is it will probably only be for a limited time.

So I have a cracking brood mare, facilities and funds ready to go and no idea which way to go next. I don’t think I trust my own judgment as far as picking another stallion since this one was a pretty sure bet. Hubby is not amused that I won’t just pick another stallion since there’s no guarantee the one I want will be available next year either.

On the plus side, even if nothing else works out I do absolutely adore my girl and will still feel that way even if we never have a foal, so she’s not going anywhere.

What breeding rollercoaster?! ?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oh, how disappointing. When you'd posted that it was too hot one day for semen collection I did think that maybe it was time to retire that stallion.

I hope that someone can suggest an alternative. Are none of the JG bred IDs in other ownerships left entire, then?

ihatework

Visit site
That sounds massively frustrating!

What sort of stallion are you looking for, maybe someone can offer suggestions (although appreciate its getting later season now)

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Oh, how disappointing. When you'd posted that it was too hot one day for semen collection I did think that maybe it was time to retire that stallion.

I hope that someone can suggest an alternative. Are none of the JG bred IDs in other ownerships left entire, then?

I don’t think so, and as my girl is one of JG’s broodmares anything from there would probably be too closely related even if there were an entire one. Both the stallions were gelded when Janet retired so nothing available there.

I’ve had lots of good advice from other owners and lots to think about but not really enough time to do that. I quite like the look of Cappa Sarsfield but he doesn’t have any ridden progeny yet and I don’t feel like I know what I’m doing enough to make the decision.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
That sounds massively frustrating!

What sort of stallion are you looking for, maybe someone can offer suggestions (although appreciate its getting later season now)

I want pure ID, class one as my girl is, and not from one of the sharper lines. I want to keep the foal and have a nice steady, sensible, weight carrying all rounder. My mare has had 7 foals by 3 stallions, all fantastic but two of them have been gelded and the third is the stallion I tried to use. I’d hoped by using a stallion with full siblings it gave me some kind of assurance as to what I’d end up with Because I know I’m not hugely knowledgeable.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
So disappointed for you. I would take the next 8 months to get the mare fit (to give her the best chance of taking) and looking for a suitable replacement stallion.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
So disappointed for you. I would take the next 8 months to get the mare fit (to give her the best chance of taking) and looking for a suitable replacement stallion.

Funny enough I said exactly that to the vet this morning and she said what a shame it would be because she feels my mare is in a good place and should have had another chance. She did agree that I shouldn’t jump into anything though. Her thoughts are that we will be back in season and receptive to another go by the end of this week but that I need to be sure of what I’m doing.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
It is getting late in the season for this year. What about the ID that Ambers Echo ended up using on her difficult to get in foal mare? I'm not sure what his stock is like.

ETA Ebony Duke class 1 RID

Thank you I’ve not heard of him so will take a look. I don’t think she is difficult to get in foal as JG never had any issues (though of course she knew what she was doing way more than me) the vet thinks that maybe that follicle just didn’t ovulate which can apparently happen.

ihatework

Visit site
I’m pretty ignorant on ID breeding so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but flicking through the grade 1 British ID stallion list, the one that stands out most to me is Corrindon Dancer

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I’m pretty ignorant on ID breeding so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but flicking through the grade 1 British ID stallion list, the one that stands out most to me is Corrindon Dancer

Yes, I’ve seen him and he is very close to what I like. He’s also at stud with Cappa Sarsfield so I am going to go and see them both.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
So, from not having a clue what to do I’ve now lined up several studs to go and see. Today we’re off to look at Cappa Sarsfield and Corrindon Dancer, tomorrow is Steeped in Luck and Friday is Silver Wind Twister.

If anyone has any points on what to look for when trying to choose a stallion I’d be grateful. I only really know what I like and that temperament is all important to me. No pressure of course, it’s just likely that she’ll come into season again around the end of the week ?‍♀️ plenty of time to think. Not!

Asha

Visit site
You know my thoughts!
If breeding to keep them choose a stallion who has ridden progeny that are out doing what you want . Using a young unproven stallion is adding additional risk to an already risky bet ?
Use a stallion that compliments your mare . Be honest about what you need to improve in her.
I chose Steeped in luck for my ID mare as he’s shorter in the back than her , is producing beautiful foals and has plenty of ridden stock and he’s sound
. His behaviour at the stallion show was spot on. So calm and relaxed . I’m keeping everything crossed we get a blob on Friday ?

look forward to finding out who you choose . Good luck !

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Sorry guys, it’s been a crazy week with looking at stallions, my mum has had fairly major surgery and a friend’s 50th party today. We looked at Cappa Sarsfield, Corrindon Dancer, Carrigfada Grey Mist, Steeped in Luck, Silver Wind Twister and his barn mate, Bell Tower Major Tom. All of them were lovely stallions but my two clear favourites are definitely Cappa Sarsfield and Silver Wind Twister.

Perhaps if I had more faith in my judgment Cappa Sarsfield would edge slightly in front purely because of his lovely attitude and bone. The only downside I can see is that there aren’t any ridden young stock yet, to be able to see how they turn out. Silver Wind Twister is absolutely gorgeous and has the most stunning head. He also has some cracking foals on the ground from this year and some ridden young stock that have done exceptionally well and seem to be everything I’d like my foal to be. The only downside I can see is that he doesn’t have quite as much bone as Cappa Sarsfield. Although I have to say my mare has bone to spare and her own foal from a much lighter stallion was very substantial.

Her other young stock are out there doing all sorts, some dressage, some XC, as far as I know mostly riding club all rounder types, and all with my girl’s lovely temperament. There hasn’t been a bad or flighty one in the bunch.

I‘m already out by a fortune but have come to the conclusion that I will do this more than once, assuming nothing changes for us circumstances wise so I guess I can do both stallions, but I want to get the right foal first if that makes sense.

In amongst all of that I’m starting to wonder what’s going on with my girl as she’s not even slightly coming into season yet either and we’re a month on from insemination on Tuesday. She was definitely coming into season two days after insemination so surely should be now? So now I’m wondering if there’s something wrong and am going to get my vet to scan her on Monday.

Lastly, I just have to add that I’ve met some really lovely Irish Draught people this week and I’m so thankful for that. It’s a wonderful community and seeing so many stunning foals hasn’t hurt at all!