Novice Breeder Looking for Tips

TheMule

Visit site
Sorry guys, it’s been a crazy week with looking at stallions, my mum has had fairly major surgery and a friend’s 50th party today. We looked at Cappa Sarsfield, Corrindon Dancer, Carrigfada Grey Mist, Steeped in Luck, Silver Wind Twister and his barn mate, Bell Tower Major Tom. All of them were lovely stallions but my two clear favourites are definitely Cappa Sarsfield and Silver Wind Twister.

Perhaps if I had more faith in my judgment Cappa Sarsfield would edge slightly in front purely because of his lovely attitude and bone. The only downside I can see is that there aren’t any ridden young stock yet, to be able to see how they turn out. Silver Wind Twister is absolutely gorgeous and has the most stunning head. He also has some cracking foals on the ground from this year and some ridden young stock that have done exceptionally well and seem to be everything I’d like my foal to be. The only downside I can see is that he doesn’t have quite as much bone as Cappa Sarsfield. Although I have to say my mare has bone to spare and her own foal from a much lighter stallion was very substantial.

Her other young stock are out there doing all sorts, some dressage, some XC, as far as I know mostly riding club all rounder types, and all with my girl’s lovely temperament. There hasn’t been a bad or flighty one in the bunch.

I‘m already out by a fortune but have come to the conclusion that I will do this more than once, assuming nothing changes for us circumstances wise so I guess I can do both stallions, but I want to get the right foal first if that makes sense.

In amongst all of that I’m starting to wonder what’s going on with my girl as she’s not even slightly coming into season yet either and we’re a month on from insemination on Tuesday. She was definitely coming into season two days after insemination so surely should be now? So now I’m wondering if there’s something wrong and am going to get my vet to scan her on Monday.

Lastly, I just have to add that I’ve met some really lovely Irish Draught people this week and I’m so thankful for that. It’s a wonderful community and seeing so many stunning foals hasn’t hurt at all!

Well, best case scenario, there's a blob that was hiding from the vet I guess!

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Well, best case scenario, there's a blob that was hiding from the vet I guess!
That would be absolutely amazing but I don’t think we’re that lucky sadly! I’ll keep you posted.

The one thing the vet did say before she concluded that there was no pregnancy last Monday was that older mares who have a significant number of foals tend to have a larger uterus so it can be hard to scan because they’re so far in. She did spend a good few minutes scanning though so I’m not getting my hopes up.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Another update from me, apologies if I’m boring everyone!

Stallion decision made, we’re going with Silver Wind Twister because he’s exactly my sort and has proven ridden young stock on the ground, plus he’s very local as in less than half an hour away and I suspect I’ll only get one chance now.

My usual vet isn’t available until tomorrow so scanning first thing in the morning, mare still doesn’t appear to be in season though. Who knows what’s going on but I’ll feel better once my usual vet has taken a look and I’m going to stick with him for the rest of the process, hopefully a lot cheaper on call outs and he’s been recommended by a few people as a repro vet.

Everything crossed ?

Bikerchickone

Visit site
No blob on this morning‘s scan but we’re ready for another try on Thursday so have booked semen, vet coming again tomorrow morning to check again, I’m collecting semen Wednesday evening, then vet Thursday morning to scan again and inseminate all being well, then again Friday morning to scan and flush. Does that all sound about right? Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!

TheMule

Visit site
No blob on this morning‘s scan but we’re ready for another try on Thursday so have booked semen, vet coming again tomorrow morning to check again, I’m collecting semen Wednesday evening, then vet Thursday morning to scan again and inseminate all being well, then again Friday morning to scan and flush. Does that all sound about right? Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!

Thats a shame there's no blob
But good that you have chosen a new hubby and it sounds like the vet has it sorted

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Back on the rollercoaster, Mare decided to surprise us by ovulating twice yesterday afternoon so vet advised we've missed this cycle. All set to scan again towards the end of next week and stallion owner advised that we won't need to go this week. Luckily they're all fab and work together really well. I think my girl wants to keep me on my toes!

I am definitely going to write some kind of breeding for dummies book after all of this! :D

TheMule

Visit site
Back on the rollercoaster, Mare decided to surprise us by ovulating twice yesterday afternoon so vet advised we've missed this cycle. All set to scan again towards the end of next week and stallion owner advised that we won't need to go this week. Luckily they're all fab and work together really well. I think my girl wants to keep me on my toes!

I am definitely going to write some kind of breeding for dummies book after all of this! :D

o_O

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Update time finally!

Scanned last Friday and mare PG'd. Scanned again Monday and vet thought maybe ready Wednesday (today) to be on the safe side I asked him to come scan again yesterday to be sure where we were. Yesterday follicle at 3cm so agreed to scan again this morning. This morning we have 3.2cm and maximum oedema so vet (not the same one, he was rude enough to go to Hickstead for this week!) gave the injection of the stuff I cannot remember the name of (2 vials as she's had one with the first attempt) to make them ovulate in 24 hours and suggested AI tomorrow morning. Stallion owner does AI himself and is super flexible and helpful so he's going to come over tomorrow for 8am and AI for us. Vet can't get back to wash out until Friday though as they're a man down with my chap being at Hickstead.

Does that sound okay? I did ask about scanning again today to check later but the vet didn't think it would be necessary. I was a bit horrified at not having a vet do the AI but my usual vet who's away, recommended the stallion owner to do it as he said, 'He's just as good as a vet at getting AI done.' I'd just not heard of it being done by anyone other than a vet but I am a novice to all this.

Have kept a diary though and am seriously going to write a breeding for dummies book if I ever find the time!

PS, stupid novice question, what's oedema in this context and why does it have a maximum? I asked vet and she just explained that it goes up, then comes down for ovulation but didn't explain what it was! I have so much to learn!

juli

New User
Visit site
Update time finally!

Scanned last Friday and mare PG'd. Scanned again Monday and vet thought maybe ready Wednesday (today) to be on the safe side I asked him to come scan again yesterday to be sure where we were. Yesterday follicle at 3cm so agreed to scan again this morning. This morning we have 3.2cm and maximum oedema so vet (not the same one, he was rude enough to go to Hickstead for this week!) gave the injection of the stuff I cannot remember the name of (2 vials as she's had one with the first attempt) to make them ovulate in 24 hours and suggested AI tomorrow morning. Stallion owner does AI himself and is super flexible and helpful so he's going to come over tomorrow for 8am and AI for us. Vet can't get back to wash out until Friday though as they're a man down with my chap being at Hickstead.

Does that sound okay? I did ask about scanning again today to check later but the vet didn't think it would be necessary. I was a bit horrified at not having a vet do the AI but my usual vet who's away, recommended the stallion owner to do it as he said, 'He's just as good as a vet at getting AI done.' I'd just not heard of it being done by anyone other than a vet but I am a novice to all this.

Have kept a diary though and am seriously going to write a breeding for dummies book if I ever find the time!

PS, stupid novice question, what's oedema in this context and why does it have a maximum? I asked vet and she just explained that it goes up, then comes down for ovulation but didn't explain what it was! I have so much to learn!

I have heard of many who AI their mares themselves so would not be concerned about the stallion owner doing it. Fingers crossed that it sticks this time!

TheMule

Visit site
Update time finally!

Well, it's not ideal, but it sounds like you don’t have much option here. I've no problem with the stallion owner AIing the mare, that’s the easy bit, but I do think you need a good post-AI protocol with this mare. Could you pick up some oxytocin to inject? I do 4 hours post-insemination then after another 6 hours and one more the next morning

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Well, it's not ideal, but it sounds like you don’t have much option here. I've no problem with the stallion owner AIing the mare, that’s the easy bit, but I do think you need a good post-AI protocol with this mare. Could you pick up some oxytocin to inject? I do 4 hours post-insemination then after another 6 hours and one more the next morning
Hmm, possibly. She had oxytocin yesterday and a lot less fluid today so hopefully ok. What I might do is ask if I can pick some up tomorrow when I let her know about the AI. He’s doing it at 8am so plenty of time. She’s back first thing Friday anyway. Hopefully it’ll be enough though I’m half thinking we might need a bitter dose with the follicle so small and her not ovulating when expected last time.

Just wish one thing would go easily for us! ??

TheMule

Visit site
Hmm, possibly. She had oxytocin yesterday and a lot less fluid today so hopefully ok. What I might do is ask if I can pick some up tomorrow when I let her know about the AI. He’s doing it at 8am so plenty of time. She’s back first thing Friday anyway. Hopefully it’ll be enough though I’m half thinking we might need a bitter dose with the follicle so small and her not ovulating when expected last time.

Just wish one thing would go easily for us! ??

Are up you sure it was oxytocin she had? That sounds unusual

Asha

Visit site
im guessing the oxytocin is to get rid of the fluid ?

Im assuming the chap who is doing the AI will scan before putting semen in, as youd want the fluid to have gone before insemmination.

fluid before covering can be an issue, i have had a couple that had fluid coming into season . One had an infection, so we put a caslick in and left her until the next year. No fluid following year and caught first time. Other one was actually pooling urine, so never caught. Do you know whats causing the fluid ?

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Are up you sure it was oxytocin she had? That sounds unusual
Yes, definitely oxytocin get rid of the fluid. There was much less yesterday so it seems to have worked. They didn’t say what was causing it.

Couldn’t get vet out to me today so no scan before AI this morning but they’re back first thing tomorrow to check her and we can get another dose if needed. Stallion owner is properly on the ball and very helpful.

AI went well, but she’s always good anyway and apparently there was more than a usual does given. Collected literally an hour before insemination so hopefully all good. He was very impressed with my girl, saying how she’d look nice in his fields if she needed a home! Definitely not happening as I’ve no intention of letting her go.

I did consider calling the vet and insisting they send someone out to scan but stallion owner thinks itll be fine for tomorrow. She should ovulate today or have possibly already gone this morning but the follicle was small so apparently tomorrow is good enough to check and see if another dose of semen is needed.

I’m just keeping everything crossed because we aren’t going to try again this year if she doesn’t take this time. We might think about starting her long lining and seeing if she wants to go back under saddle in the meantime if she’s not in foal. She seems pretty interested in interaction now and is finally taking treats from our hands which she wouldn’t do at all until Tuesday of this week. I think she’s enjoying the attention she gets now.

Positive vibes this way please!