Novice report & pics + mud!!

only_me

Visit site
So persuaded dad to bring me up to kircubben today for event, cos i wanted to watch merlin go xc and also make sure that my friend wasnt lonered
tongue.gif
But before you all chastise me for not revising, I actually brought my notes with me
wink.gif

Arrived and ran over to showjumping ring to as trainer had just gone in, and i have to say, merlin looked very impressive! Sj was very twisty and lots of turns back on yourself, and lots of horrible 180* across the arena and jumping in centre of it. He jumped a very nice round, to go clear:
DSC05154.jpg

Then asked trainer how dressage had went, to be told that he was very naughty and bucked in middle of test which meant trainer lost concentration and went the wrong way
blush.gif
blush.gif
so he wasnt very pleased tbh, as he was all set to win today, and knew he could
blush.gif
so merlin wasnt in the good books
blush.gif

But dressage section marked rather harshly - he got 38 which left him 5th after dressage
smirk.gif

Then I asked him how the xc walked and simply put, he didnt like it
wink.gif

So i walked it with friend who was now not a loner...

maybe i should explain how wet it is here at the moment - torrential rain for the past 3/4 days and strong winds etc. and event is at seaside so that probably didnt help.
So course was a deluge of mud and wet bits, there was a road crossing which was literally a drop onto the road which was smeared in mud
crazy.gif
it did have gravel on it at one point i presume!

course had everything in it, but was incredibly twisty and very easy to forget where you are going!
There was the road crossing which caused the most probs, a skinny roller brush, 1 long stride to drop on to road, 1 stride down dirt bank 2 strides to white wall skinny.
There was a devils dyke type fence (which i saw some truely heart stopping riding into
shocked.gif
) and then sharp right to the water.
The water was a double of brush fences, with the 2nd one jumping you straight into the water and then out over a white log skinny.
What was VERY unfair was that the PN was expected to jump our 2nd brush skinny fence into the water.

there was also tiger trap, log corner and usual skinnies. very educational course as one might say, except i was very disapointed with the ground.
frown.gif
suppose it was just good that they ran!

He finished with 8.8 time which was actually quite fast in the class, only one person went inside the time!!

some pics:
DSC05161.jpg

DSC05165.jpg

DSC05166.jpg

DSC05169.jpg

so double clear, and finished up 6th, so im happy but trainer not, as he wanted to win
tongue.gif

thanks for reading!

only_me

Visit site
lol i did indeed
laugh.gif
sexy as in the horse or rider?
tongue.gif
grin.gif

honestly, i was just glad that he remembered the course - he hasnt quite got over the fact that he went the wrong way at a rather prestigious event
blush.gif
grin.gif

only_me

Visit site
Thanks
laugh.gif

It was most definately not the normal easy kircubben! Very twisty and slippy ground, plus lots of combinations that you had to be straight at!

Time was as tight as always though
tongue.gif

Fiona

Visit site
Well done Merlin
smile.gif
!

The ground on the course was fine IMO, it was only the lorry park, and a couple of the dressage arenas which were soft (sorry, just remembered - the step up to green skinny had got v cut up and deep).

I couldn't believe they managed to run at all after the rain we have had this week, tomorrows event at Annaharvey is cancelled, so mega thanks to Eammon and all his team for giving us a good day out.

Fiona

only_me

Visit site
thanks fiona
laugh.gif

there were some really bad parts though, and especially at the bottom of those little mounds near the water.

I am incredibly gratful that they ran! I was expecting it to be cancelled all week, so its very understandable about the ground
tongue.gif
of course, mega thanks to all the team involved! they are having schooling there tomorrow, are you going up with sophie?

I bet all the tatts competitors are a little annoyed at annaharvey not being run
crazy.gif
but theres not much they can do!

Fiona

Visit site
I heard today that annaharvey has been used for hunter trials all spring, and the ground is trashed to say the least, so maybe the locals knew the way the wind was blowing if you like.

No - kircubbin is a 2hr drive for us so not taking S tomorrow. She had a run round the unaff open (aff nov course) at tullymurray last Sunday, including jumping into the water off that rather large drawbridge thingie (OH rather pleased with her at the moment).

Would say that lots of the peeps heading to tatts are going to do the combined training next weekend, at least thats relatively sure not to be cancelled due to the weather
crazy.gif

Fiona

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Love the pics, especially the drop into water!
It looks marginally drier there, we had torrential rain, then sun, then hail...!
I think you did well to bring some work, thoughsomehow I can't imagine you spent a lot of time doing it with so many horses to watch instead...
Well done on the 6th..
grin.gif

only_me

Visit site
thanks HH
smile.gif

i did actually do some work between the sj and the xc, as they couldnt start the xc till all dressage finished and managed to learn some biology
laugh.gif

CastleMouse

Visit site
Brilliant photos - Well done Merlin
grin.gif

The ground this morning at Annaharvey was very bad. Even after the hunter trial season the ground isn't that bad usually, but the recent rain we've had made it awful.

jules89

Visit site
Can I be really blonde and ask how come you weren't riding?
blush.gif

M looks stunning though, he is such a cool pone

only_me

Visit site
thanks CM
smile.gif

Jules wasn't riding because I've exams at mo which mean lots of revision
frown.gif
so horsey went to play with trainer!
tongue.gif

clairel

Visit site
Well Done Merlin! I was fence judging at fences 8 and 9... the table and viaduct wall.
They moved the flags for the PN so they didn't have to jump the brush and could run in down the step at the side!

CaroG21

Visit site
Well done Merlin
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Fab ponio as usual. I'm amazed they managed to run considering the weather has been awful for weeks. Here's hoping it clears up in good time for Tatts.

only_me

Visit site
thanks claire! Thats good to hear, i thought it was a bit stiff for a PN to jump straight in
laugh.gif

Was donna there?
smile.gif

he was a good boy caro
laugh.gif
i was amazed they ran! tatts could be awful wet if it carries on like this
crazy.gif