Novice rider looking for a share around Edinburgh

gembear

Visit site
(Posted this on gumtree, but figured i'd put it up here too!)

I'm an adult in my 20's who has riding for just over a year and during that time i've had weekly lessons. Now i'm looking to take the next step, so i'm looking for a share. Ideally 2/3 times a week and fairly local to Edinburgh (i live in the centre but I do have my own transport).

I'm not an experienced rider, so I need an older more experienced mount but at the same time, I do need to be challenged. I can trot and canter confidently, and i've been learning how to jump but from my share i'd mostly be looking for some happy hacking and ideally a school where I can do some flatwork. If there is a RI on the yard, that would be a bonus as I wouldn't be opposed to taking some extra lessons.

I'm 5'5 and around 8 & 1/2 stone, so looking for ideally 15 hh and above.

I have volunteered for the RDA previously so I have some knowledge on horse care and i'm happy to put in my share of the work but this is also an opportunity for me to learn more about the other side of riding. Obviously happy to contribute financially!

Please get in touch if you think you have the right horse/pony for me or know someone who does!

Also the first ad i've ever written, so i hope it reads well haha. I've tried to be honest as i can.

Biscuit

Visit site
If you don't get a response on gumtree may be worth visiting local yards to see if the YO knows of anyone looking for a sharer?

If you are inexperienced it may be ideal to take a share on a horse on part/full livery, so you wouldn't have sole responsibility for care on "your" days, and it sounds great that you could take lessons with their trainer. These two points might be reassuring for an owner who would otherwise not consider an inexperienced sharer.

gembear

Visit site
I've had a couple of replies and they seemed interested, but as soon as we've come to arranging a visit they've not got back to me :S :S I'm new to this whole share business, but I don't get it.

But it could be my lack of experience. I've been really open about it though, because I do want to make sure I find a share that will be right for everyone involved.

I've asked two RS's about sharing, and they both said they'd get back to me. RS shares seem a bit less flexible though as they want you to fit around lessons, but I guess I would probably get a more experienced horse.

I don't know how a novice is meant to get more experience though when people only ever seem to want "experienced riders". Everyone needed a chance to build upon their ability at some point...

Nohorse

Visit site
I think Biscuit may have meant ask the owner of a livery yard rather than a riding school owner. I found my first share through a friend who knew a yard owner with a client who was looking for a share. It's all about contacts!

Worth phoning/emailing a few livery yards that would suit you location wise and ask if the yard manager/owner l knows of any of their clients who have mentioned thinking about getting a sharer.

Good luck! You sound exactly like me when I got my share and it was amazing!

sandi_84

Visit site
You could look for and put up ad's in your local tack/feed shops too, preloved, local facebook groups and also equine adverts - I got a few replies from there when I was looking for a sharer - good luck! :D

gembear

Visit site
Worth phoning/emailing a few livery yards that would suit you location wise and ask if the yard manager/owner l knows of any of their clients who have mentioned thinking about getting a sharer.

Good luck! You sound exactly like me when I got my share and it was amazing!

That's a good idea, thanks!
I've got a feeling it may take a while. I'm chomping at the bit (pun intended) to get a share because I love horses and i feel i'm ready, but obviously want to make sure I get the right one that will last for the foreseeable future.

You could look for and put up ad's in your local tack/feed shops too, preloved, local facebook groups and also equine adverts - I got a few replies from there when I was looking for a sharer - good luck! :D

Thanks! I've done all of that apart from advertise in local tack shops. I'll see what other replies I get this week, and if i'm not getting anywhere i'll pop to a couple of local shops and see what the story is.

9tails

Visit site
GO to local livery yards. Put a notice up in the tearoom, BIG letters "DO YOU WANT A SHARER?"

Then stick this advert up:

20 something (be precise) year old, 5’5 8st 7lb with own transport, looking for a 3 day share of a confidence giver. Willing to make financial contribution and share yard duties.

Riding school pupil looking to make the next move and learn as much as possible about horse ownership. Can trot and canter confidently, learning to jump. Keen to improve, happy to take regular lessons with RI. If you think you can help, please call 07+++ ++++++

gembear

Visit site
GO to local livery yards. Put a notice up in the tearoom, BIG letters "DO YOU WANT A SHARER?"

Then stick this advert up:

20 something (be precise) year old, 5’5 8st 7lb with own transport, looking for a 3 day share of a confidence giver. Willing to make financial contribution and share yard duties.

Riding school pupil looking to make the next move and learn as much as possible about horse ownership. Can trot and canter confidently, learning to jump. Keen to improve, happy to take regular lessons with RI. If you think you can help, please call 07+++ ++++++

Thanks! Used part of that format to message a few livery's in the area... I'll see what they say.

Got a couple of possibilities on the go... hope they pan out....

DreamOfNoReturn

Visit site
Looking for sharer for lovely 14.2 gelding. Ideally suit happy hacker as is a bit older is 100% in every way. Still loves to jump would suit beginner or nervous rider as complete confidence giver. Currently in Midlothian. Please ask for more info.

Just saw this on the Edinburgh horsey page, and thought of you. Might be worth messaging them through Facebook if it's any good for you?

gembear

Visit site
Looking for sharer for lovely 14.2 gelding. Ideally suit happy hacker as is a bit older is 100% in every way. Still loves to jump would suit beginner or nervous rider as complete confidence giver. Currently in Midlothian. Please ask for more info.

Just saw this on the Edinburgh horsey page, and thought of you. Might be worth messaging them through Facebook if it's any good for you?

Thanks for the heads up!
Already spoken to this lady. She's lovely, but it's not quite the arrangement i'm looking for unfortunately.

I've not been having the best of luck so far! Starting to wonder whether it's a sign I should give up.

DreamOfNoReturn

Visit site
Thanks for the heads up!
Already spoken to this lady. She's lovely, but it's not quite the arrangement i'm looking for unfortunately.

I've not been having the best of luck so far! Starting to wonder whether it's a sign I should give up.

Don't give up! I was the same as you at the start, found it so hard to find someone. Everyone wanted a person with previous experience and they weren't willing to work around that, which is fair enough if you can't do that. Anyway, my friend ended up finding me the most lovely horse. Something will pop up. In the meantime, anything appropriate I see I shall send your way :).

gembear

Visit site
Don't give up! I was the same as you at the start, found it so hard to find someone. Everyone wanted a person with previous experience and they weren't willing to work around that, which is fair enough if you can't do that. Anyway, my friend ended up finding me the most lovely horse. Something will pop up. In the meantime, anything appropriate I see I shall send your way :).

awh fantastic!
Tell me all about the lucky gelding/mare!

gembear

Visit site
How experianced are you at handling horses on the ground?
Q

Not massively.
I volunteered for a wee while for the RDA, but didn't get to do all the duties because the kids would always be the there fighting over who gets to do what.

I did get to help with grooming, mucking out, poo picking the fields, help prepare feeds etc but I do need an owner that is willing to give me some guidance and show me the ropes.

I want to have my own horse one day, so I need to learn.

DreamOfNoReturn

Visit site
awh fantastic!
Tell me all about the lucky gelding/mare!

I just read that and realised how it sounded :L. I meant ages ago, I was literally so close to giving up and then my friend found me gelding to share. The literal love of my life. A Dales pony. But you already know about him ;).

Sugarandsakura

New User
Visit site
Hi Gembear! Not helpful whatsoever I'm afraid, but im mid-20s and I'll be starting to look for shares in midlothian in a few months! I don't quite feel ready to proceed just yet - want more lessons before then. I am keeping an eye out for ads just so I know what's required of me etc, and I really feel your pain!!! Nobody seems to want novices or RS people, so it's def gonna be a challenge. I used to help out at an RDA too, sounds like yours was similar to mine - was it in Rosewell by any chance? I know that the livery yard there has RIs that would have helped me out, all I needed was a horse! Anyway like I said I'm no use whatsoever, sorry, but I wanted to thank you for this thread as its been very informative. Good luck!

gembear

Visit site
Hi Gembear! Not helpful whatsoever I'm afraid, but im mid-20s and I'll be starting to look for shares in midlothian in a few months! I don't quite feel ready to proceed just yet - want more lessons before then. I am keeping an eye out for ads just so I know what's required of me etc, and I really feel your pain!!! Nobody seems to want novices or RS people, so it's def gonna be a challenge. I used to help out at an RDA too, sounds like yours was similar to mine - was it in Rosewell by any chance? I know that the livery yard there has RIs that would have helped me out, all I needed was a horse! Anyway like I said I'm no use whatsoever, sorry, but I wanted to thank you for this thread as its been very informative. Good luck!

Hey! Yes I did volunteer at rosewell for a while, it was last year.
I actually found when I posted various ad's, I did get quite a lot of response but the majority of them were owners with horses that needed more experienced riders. I have always been honest about my experience, but sometimes it seems to be more about the money.

That being said, i've also spoken to some great owners who really do want the absolute best for their horse.

I'm currently trialling two ponies, and hopefully in the next month i'll know which one is the best fit for me, the pony and the owner :) There are people out there who are willing to work with less experienced riders, you just have to persevere and find them.

Sugarandsakura

New User
Visit site
Hey! Yes I did volunteer at rosewell for a while, it was last year.
I actually found when I posted various ad's, I did get quite a lot of response but the majority of them were owners with horses that needed more experienced riders. I have always been honest about my experience, but sometimes it seems to be more about the money.

That being said, i've also spoken to some great owners who really do want the absolute best for their horse.

I'm currently trialling two ponies, and hopefully in the next month i'll know which one is the best fit for me, the pony and the owner :) There are people out there who are willing to work with less experienced riders, you just have to persevere and find them.

Oh that's fantastic you're trialling out a couple of horses now, best of luck! As I said I'm not at the sharing stage yet, but I'll definitely remember your advice for when I start to look :) and yes, honesty is definitely the best policy!

gembear

Visit site
photo-2.jpg

And here he is!
He's such a good boy :) Just back from a hack.

Was a hard decision though, as the other pony was equally as good.