Novice rider on horse share horse to old?

ihatework

Visit site
Thanks for your reply I appreciate your honesty. It was not really what I was looking for when I set out and def would not have considered a private yard so I am on my own all the time but the owner convinced me he is very safe and the other advantage is no more than a 5 min walk from my house!

I think I have bit off more than I can chew. But it's a good learning curve and has made me think there is a bit more to horsemanship than walk trot canter and popping a couple of jumps! There is a lot more to it than just getting on his back and I did not appreciate that side of it naively.

But my confidence is def taking a kick in. When I go on hacks with rs horses I'm fine, there is safety in numbers. I think for the time being I should just go back to that. But really how do you learn to be his leader, where do you learn this?

You learn it through years of experience, getting things wrong and then getting things right. A collection of bruises, but also a collection of smiles. It isn't something you learn in X number of sessions/time.

There is so much to learn outside of riding. I don't know what your situation is but could you do some voluntary work? This might sound silly to you - but look up your local RDA group - they often need help and you could learn the basic handling/horsecare and play your cards right and you could well get offered some riding on nice safe horses too.

mandwhy

Visit site
Sorry to hear you took a tumble! Glad your sister was with you though and that the pony stopped somewhere safe.

I think you would certainly benefit from being on a yard with other people and horses around. It's a shame the owner isn't more involved. You could have lessons or share a horse at a yard that you could also have lessons on (lessons can be about groundwork too if you like), or sometimes you can do stable chores for rides. To be honest a lot of people don't like hacking alone as it can be a bit unsafe! So if you are on a yard you can go out in company until you feel safe enough to hack alone.

Any of the above will be good steps to getting more horsemanship skills, basically you will learn by observing and being around other people and their horses, and dealing with horses yourself but with help so you can get tips and improve...sometimes the tips will come from the horse of course. You have already learnt from this experience but if it is not for you then the only way to keep learning is to ride when you can, offer help with people's horses, simple things like helping poo pick, helping at shows, all those things will help you meet people who might be able to share their knowledge.

I try to see a fall without injury as a positive thing, you must have fallen pretty well that time, number one skill to have ;-)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Hi OP- Thought id share the story of my daughter and her newish part loan/loan horse.
When we went to see her she had been out of work for a few years and had a few babies. Daughter got on and rode her a few times but the horse was very reluctant and it seemed to be a case of constant kicking for very little effort on the horses part. I was really unsure this was going to work.
6 months later she rides the most responsive forward (but nicely so!) little mare in the world and we count ourselves incredibly lucky to have found her and her wonderful owners.
I think it was a case of the horse getting back into the swing of things and them building up a relationship and working out which buttons to press.
They now compete at dressage and are doing very well.
Like everyone said 20 is In no way old for a highland and id go for it if I were you.
Good luck and most of all enjoy :)

nb- Sorry I hadn't read the other replies as my computer kelp freezing! I see its not all gone according to plan. What you could do with is a similar set up but with a owner who's around and maybe even able to hack with you maybe so you can learn from them along the way?

Last edited:

Echo Bravo

Visit site
And why don't you ask the owner, how she liked to ride him when she did ride, she could give you a few pointers on how to ride him as she would know all his quirkes.

Pigeon

Visit site
Hi there :) My first pony was a highland, sounds very similar to this one! I will admit I had to have a stronger bit on him because I weighed about five stone so he just went wherever he wanted in a snaffle! What bit does he have at the moment?

The more you ride the more confidence you will get, it's just hours in the saddle and getting to know the pony I think.

I hate to say it, but the more you fall off the less of an issue it will become! With my first full sized horse, I used to fall off him at least once a week :eek: After the first few times which were a bit of a shock, it just becomes funny! Like I said, as you get to know him you will start to build that trust :) It takes a few months!

Tronniehead

Visit site
Thanks for all the messages. I am persevering and not jacking in. Today we worked on ground work and already seen improvement in the way he behaves around me just lead rope stuf walk halt and back up. At the start when I stopped he walked straight past me but at the end I stop he stops! And when I put him in his stable to deal with Haynets etc when I walked in the stable he backed up with out me asking! This has never happened before I am usually ignored! So feeling more positive had a lesson at RS tonight as well, on perfect horse so confidence gaining again. I don't know if the things above are good I'm thinking so. I'm going to see how things go and maybe not ride him for a while continue with lessons and work on the ground with him try and build trust between us. It is a shame about me not being able to ride out with others and get horsey advise but when I meet up with owners next I will ask how he was ridden etc but the last time I brought things up they did say he is smart and very crafty!

GlamourPuss86

Visit site
Ruddy phone!!

Growl at him when he starts napping when you're out, i find 'geeeeet ooooon' with a boot tends to work.

And a phrase I picked up from here, ride it like you stole it. ie sit tight and do whatever it takes to get forward movement or whatever it is they're refusing to do.