Novice riding my GP horse without permission?!

Tinsel Town

Visit site
My point still stands at what exactly did you tell/ask YO for? If you cannot remember or said something like, "Can you make sure Dobbin is exercised whilst I am on holiday"... it could potentially lead to a misunderstanding.

The only thing you can really do is speak to YO face to face and resolve situation. Getting all angry, shouty and stomping off saying I'm leaving yard wont get you anywhere. But I would insist on a refund for the payment of exercise costs.

Also edited to add... I wouldn't be going around to talk to her parents, nor would I be approaching this girl directly myself to say "why have you been riding my horse, you don't have permission, your a c**p rider." Also, you can ask for the photos to be taken down from Facebook, but I wouldnt expect them to be, as after all, the copywrite of photos is with whoever took them!

it doesnt really matter how she put it, why on earth would a YO think it would be ok to let another livery ride OP's horse when she is getting paid to do it?!? Its not like the girl worked for the YO.

OP i'm still fuming for you!!! I cant believe your YO is being so casual about it all!!

PandorasJar

Visit site
^ can't quote but I wouldn't have thought general rider insurance would cover someone riding horse if it is a paid service? May be wrong though.

AM.... I now feel like I need some pom poms.... :/ !

TarrSteps

Visit site
You might also point out it voids your insurance if someone rides the horse without your express permission. It's also at least debatable how responsible your YO would be if something happened - I have no doubt your/the rider's carrier would be hot on the YO's case if a claim had to be filed.

I know people should behave for the right reasons but sometimes calmly and sensibly reminding them of the risks has a remarkably useful effect. :)

Littlelegs

Visit site
Regardless of who the ym let ride it, or what type of horse it is, the fact is it was the ym who was paid to ride them. The fact its a gp horse & a novice just makes it even worse. Whilst a gp horse won't suddenly lose its training from being badly ridden, certainly short term it will be set back. I think as well as ym, I'd speak to the girls parents. Not in an accusatory way, its not the girls fault at all. But from a safety point of view, if ym found what happened with ops horse acceptable, you'd have to wonder what other stupid situations she'd risk the kids safety in.

fizzer

Visit site
It is immaterial that the horse is a GP horse, I would be fuming if it was my kids 13.2hh pony. You pay for the YO to ride and school and not a livery who puts pics on facebook.

I would be sitting down and having a stern conversation with YO.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I also agree with Goldenstar, this is just business. You agreed on a service, she did not provide that service as agreed and did not make other arrangements with you. I know there is a huge emotional component with horses but that is the gist of it.

I don't know if you do usually let other people at the yard ride your horse, but if you do you should clarify those parameters with the YO and with the individuals in question.

If you are otherwise happy at the yard and the situation has worked, I'd give the YO a chance to salvage it. Reiterate your expectations and clarify what is on offer. I might also suggest looking quietly at your options, should this turn out to be part of a pattern, but moving is hard on horses and good situations can be tough to find. I am not advocating letting the YO off, just, again a business-like approach. Let them make it up to you. If they don't, that tells you a lot.

Leave the kid out of it. I'm sure she was flattered to be asked and it's not for her to go against a trusted adult's instructions. Your beef is with the person you have contacted to look after your horse.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Skewbald1 icily professional is the way forward IMO ,
This is not a friend that has broken your trust this a professional that has broken the rules , the code of ethics if you like that govern the contract between you and her she is defensive because she is in the wrong, you come across as a nice normally cheery type of person trust me every inch of ice will work better than emotion now .
She has done this not you let her know this in the coldest most unemotional way you can she must rebuilt the trust she must prove herself from zero point again of being worthy of caring for this precious horse .
Good luck , straight back and go girl .

your scary ! lol..... would not like to cross swords with you

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I think I would possibly also question whether the livery was riding on her own or if YO gave her a lesson?

If the latter, is your YO using this horse as her schoolmaster?

I have wondered that.... but i still cannot get my head around the fact a yo whom wont hack out a gp horse has allowed a 14 year old pony club rider to hack the GP horse on the road !

wench

Visit site
it doesnt really matter how she put it, why on earth would a YO think it would be ok to let another livery ride OP's horse when she is getting paid to do it?!? Its not like the girl worked for the YO.

OP i'm still fuming for you!!! I cant believe your YO is being so casual about it all!!

Tarrsteps answers are normally very correct, and is the jist of mine.

A service has been paid for, and not received to the satisfaction of the customer. As I stated before, if the service was not specifically stated that YO, and only YO should ride the horse, and the YO has knowingly broken this agreement, then it's really not on. If OP,
just said my horse needs exercising whilst I'm away, it's a slightly different kettle of fish. We don't know if the girl is being paid to ride the horses, or if YO is just pocketing the cash (which would be very wrong).

I also agree with Tarrsteps about other posters needing to take the emotion out of it. At the end of the day it's a business transaction.

miss_c

Visit site
Not being funny but your horse isn't going to change its way of going in less than a fortnights riding. Even if you had a complete numpty riding your horse you would still be able to get back on and ride him to the level you were at before.

My horse might not be the next Escapdo but he is a lovely tempered warmblood, well schooled and consistently placed in dressage at novice/elem and show jumping comps at 2ft 9/3'0. He is very special to me and I love him to bits but I wouldn't care who rode him so long as I was there, I think it is really important and crucial to your riding that you ride as many different horses as you can, and I think its really sad that people are so precious that they won't share their horses with others. I would love to ride other peoples, and they to ride mine. I can understand your concern with being on holiday and him being ridden without your permission by just anyone, but it won't have done him any harm in the long run. i watch people ride my horse for a few minutes then just leave them to get on with it.

Re the OP's horse - I second what other posters have said. With a horse of that level and sensitivity it is not going to completely lose it's schooling, but the fine tuning that has to be so so so precise is going to be affected.

Re you thinking it 'sad' that people are precious and won't share their horses... Why? My horse, my bills, mine to ride. I would be LETHAL if I found somebody riding Genie or Titchy without my permission, and I am very particular about who I allow to have a sit. I invest a lot of time, effort, money, and emotions into them, and will not potentially jeopodise that by having somebody else riding them. There are only two people other than my trainer that I would 'leave to get on with it', both excellent riders who know how my horses are worked. Anybody else would be watched 100% of the time, and if they did anything I didn't like they would be off the horse before they could blink. Genie especially is not 'anybodys ride', and even at her level having somebody ride her in a way that doesn't suit can (and has) put her back months.

OP - I hope the YO bucks her ideas up, and that if needs be you are able to find a suitable yard to move to - easier said than done in the case of a GP horse - but best wishes from us!

Luci07

Visit site
We sometimes swap around certain horses. Less so with my youngster now as it sets him back considerably if someone other than myself or my YO rides him. As for the posters who think a GP horse would not be too upset... anyone see the programme where Carl Hester was teaching a celeb? Nicky something.. who WAS a reasonable rider. Nicky had a nasty fall by ....pressing the wrong buttons on a schoolmaster and horse went off. Now that was under the eye of an experienced trainer on a horse that was used to being ridden in lessons.

Hope the update is positive. Good advice about taking out the emotions (as I would have been steaming) and hope it works out well when you have your conversation. Oh and someone else who would point out that a person forking out for full livery (and I do agree with the previous definitions) is not that easily found so are normally highly prized. There is a very very pretty little Spanish horse on our yard, new full livery. Smart as buttons and looks great fun to ride.. but would never dream of thinking I would allowed on board!

georgie256

Visit site
YO is clearly in the wrong. As stated before, it's business, you asked for your horse to be ridden by the YO, which didn't happen, which is not right. There isn't really any other opinion that can be justified.

OWLIE185

Visit site
I would suggest that your yard owned does not understand the implications of what she has done as otherwise she would not have done it.
She has risked the life of one of her young liveries by asking them to hack out your powerful dressage horse which could have easily resulted in a serious accident involving both the horse and rider.
Did the yard owner ensure that the young rider was wearing correct protective wear? - I bet not.
Your yard owner may be an excellent rider but clearly needs to understand her responsibilities to those that employ her services.
She needs a reality check.

Elbie

Visit site
Pretty much agree with everyone else here!

Although the YO states she wouldn't risk the young girls safety, you just can't be too careful. We live in a very litigious society and as the owner of the horse, you'd be pulled into any arguements if the girl fell off and got injured.

I would also assume that insurance would be a nightmare if anything had happened (to the girl or your horse)

amandaco2

Visit site
Id go mad too.
If the yo could ride your horse as agreed she shouldn't have said she would. And definitely not let another livery on him without express permission
That would go for any horse

RutlandH2O

Visit site
I'd be spitting little green putty balls!! The ramifications of the whole situation are making my head explode. The fact that there are photos on FB adds another dimension to the situation: who was taking the pictures of the 14 year old on the GP horse? It sounds like there was a great deal of "fun" at the yard that day. And who knows if that were the only day? The FB photos are proof that the YO was not honourable, trustworthy or professional.

gingerthing

Visit site
I would be fuming OP, I would Deduct the riding charges from the livery bill for the time you were away. You have requested a service and it had not been met. Is this place a 'proper' dressage yard out of interest?

It's enough to make you paranoid about what they do with clients horses in general... Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Hexx

Visit site
This happened to me - the YO was lucky not to end up in A&E when I found out a 13 year old girl had been hacking my cob - who could be a right handful when he wanted to be. She thought she'd got away with it until I turned up at the yard early and found the girl putting him away - I still think that the time I found out was not the only time it happened. It still makes my blood boil to think of it - getting angry all over again now!!!

I was off the yard within a week!!!

Once the trust has gone, there is no way to get it back. Everytime you go on the yard you will be wondering who has ridden Ernie, who rode him last, what happened, what else has occured that they didn't tell you about.............. you see where I am going.

Looking forward to hearing how you got on with the YO. Good luck.

ILikeThemHairy

Visit site
I have a ploddy, scruffy welshie who would probably be improved by a 14 year old pony clubber riding him around yet STILL would be fuming if a) someone was riding my horse without my permission and b) this happened when I was PAYING someone else to do it. It is never okay, and to add insult to injury the pictures were all over facebook parading the horse around... I am eagerly awaiting the post letting us know what the YO has said.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
I can't believe theres even a debate over the rights & wrongs of this.

If someone took your sports car for a drive around the block it would be theft as it was taken without permission. So why is it any different with a horse?

What would have happened if the horse/rider had been injured?

I just blew my top at the yard for someone feeding my horse haylage over her stable door after I purposefully bought hay for her as she cannot tolerate haylage & had 3 half eaten nets in her stable. Wouldn't like to see what would happen if someone stole my horse for a ride.....