Novice wanting some advise!

Crow

New User
Visit site
Hi

First would like to say hello all, Ive joined this forum knowing I have a lot to learn & much experience to gain, with horse's, while learning to ride & hope I can pick up some advise from you all.

I have started to learn to ride at a school, where they also give livery, at the moment I use their horse's, I was just wondering, would it be the best idea to keep using their horse's while learning to ride & until I am fully competent or would it be an idea to purchase my own horse now & learn on him or her??

Thank you in advance of any advise.

camilla4

Visit site
I would strongly recommend that you continue riding the school horses for a good while yet and make the most of being able to increase your experience and get a better idea of what type of horse would suit you. Would you be able to spend some time there helping out in order to become more familiar with what horse-ownership actually involves?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I would strongly recommend that you continue riding the school horses for a good while yet and make the most of being able to increase your experience and get a better idea of what type of horse would suit you. Would you be able to spend some time there helping out in order to become more familiar with what horse-ownership actually involves?

I would second this and suggest that the good while is AT LEAST two years, any less than that and I think you are asking for trouble. Also make sure that as well as lessons you get to go out on hacks, both on and off road, long before you consider buying your own horse.
Enjoy learning as much as you can about these fabulous creatures :)

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

I agree too. At the riding school you can swap and change horses to suit your experience and preference. Once you have your own you're a little stuck!

I'd say wait until you are fully competent in walk, trot, canter, jumping and hacking before discussing with you instructor on they type of horse that would suit you.

And in the meantime, enjoy learning to ride!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I agree with the others, learning to ride a horse is not like learning to ride a bike. All horses are different and need slightly different approaches. The more horses you ride, the more you will realise that. A breadth of experience will help you to ride better, ask your RI if you can ride a variety of different horses from the smallest pony which can accommodate you to the largest horse that she feels is appropriate, the slowest 'plodders' and the 'whizziest', those who need cajoling along, those who need re-assurance, the stubborn so-an-sos and the very forward going. when you feel that you could control any and all of that RS's horses under all circumstances, go to another RS and see how you do with their horses. If you can deal with all of those under all circumstances, then you will probably be ready to start looking for your own horse.

Crow

New User
Visit site
Thank you all for your advise, some good points there! I will hold back on buying my own horse until I am fully competent.
When I do finally get my own horse though, my idea is to have him or her in 'full' livery, with the agreement I can help & learn to look after them at the same time, so this way the horses welfare will be of no risk while I learn!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thank you all for your advise, some good points there! I will hold back on buying my own horse until I am fully competent.
When I do finally get my own horse though, my idea is to have him or her in 'full' livery, with the agreement I can help & learn to look after them at the same time, so this way the horses welfare will be of no risk while I learn!

That sounds like a good plan. Can you offer to help around the yard while you are having lessons, so that you get some experience of stable management?

Kat

Visit site
I agree with the others, wait and make the most of your lessons. A good riding school will be able to keep challenging you and progressing you for years. I had been riding for 30 years before I bought my own horse and was still having productive lessons at the riding school!

I would suggest signing up for the BHS horse owners certificate so you learn about stable management too. Horse ownership is a massive responsibility, don't rush into it.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

How refreshing to read that a new rider and in the future owner, wants to do things properly. A good school is certainly the way to go, just make sure they can progress you as you improve and have the horses to achieve incremental learning.

I licence riding schools and certain schools stick in a 'comfort zone' of teaching and therefore only keep certain types of horses. There is absolutely nothing wrong in this and they provide a great service to the weekly rider who is happy to stick at a level and not push on.

If you want to stay in the school you are using now, make sure they have the horses to take you forwards as your confidence and skill improves. The BHS and your local authority are useful sources of information, both will be able to tell you if the school is approved and licensed.

Good luck, happy learning, enjoy being around these lovely creatures and I am sure one day, you will be able to give a lovely home to a very lucky horse.

TrasaM

Visit site
Just to say welcome and good plan. I've been riding two years but I have held back from buying my own horse. I've been lucky enough to have a friend who has shared her horse with me and helped with my initial learning to groom tack up and all the other bits that the RS don't show you how to do. As I've progressed the horses have changed and they've all had their different challenges and lessons to teach. Hence the importance of having access to lots of different horses. Here's hoping you get as much joy and reward from your riding journey that I've gotten from mine. :)

FreeRider19

Visit site
I've been riding for 6 years now 5 and a half in a riding school I would say stay in the riding school for as long as you can as there is so much to learn. You will benefit from it a lot then when you feel like your ready to move on get a share horse or a loan because then you get the experience of owning your own but without actully owning it and if you have the oppatunity take your BHS stages as you learn a lot from them then when your sure your really into it and your ready think about purchasing your own. I share a horse at the moment and as much as I would like my own I do know the responsibility is huge ad I don't think that I know enough to have my own yet. You hve to think if one day you get your horse in from the field ad it's badly lame, has a huge deep cut on its leg, has a loose shoe, is vying differently to normal, is ill you need to know how to deal with it all and vet bills are very expensive. You need to be completely committed to it which Im sure you are :) Good luck have fun riding :D

oldie48

Visit site
I rode a bit as a child and after a very long break from riding went to a good riding school for a couple of years before buying my first horse aged 50. what a shock! Although I bought a very suitable horse, she had a mind of her own, was "off the leg" and I'd never really worked a horse independantly I suddenly realised how little i knew. It was a very steep learning curve. Take lots of time. I've spent loads of £ on lessons with quality trainers, done BHS courses to improve my stable and horse care skills and also riding and road safety. I've never regretted having my own horses but with hindsight should have prepared myself more thoroughly before jumping in.

Tronniehead

Visit site
Hi
I to am a novice and have been riding Rs for a year and took a horse share back n April. I still have my moments in the confidence realm but all in all it is fab and I have learned tons, things you can not imagine in rs environment. I spend lots of time on the ground gaining a bond grooming and ground work, ground work for one I did not know existed till I got my share! I have had a couple of falls and a few confidence knocks but in the world of horses I think these things happen. I love learning about his character and his tests he puts against me! But all part of the experience! Baby steps def baby steps :)