Now I know you're not supposed to change a horses name but......

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I bought a 2 year old skewbald New Forest X filly in the middle of November. The owner was really nice who I got her off, but the pony's history is a bit unknown. I know that she was bred on the forest (I spoke to the original owner/breeder who told me that she is out of a coloured mare called One Eye - because she only has one eye - but the stallion is unknown as there were three in the area where the dam ran.) Anyway, when I bought her, the girl I got her off said that she was called "Kenzi" (passport name Kind Eyes). She hadn't had her long and it's not known how many owners she had since she had been through Beaulieu Road Sales and the passport had never been updated with any owners - only the original breeder.
So the pony was microchipped and I phoned them up explaining that I couldn't get hold of whoever had microchipped her as I had no idea who it was. I sent them a cheque with my details and today they have sent me the microchip certificate.
It seems that her real pet name is "Spirit" according to the documentation they have sent me.
So do I keep her name as Kenzi or change it back to Spirit?

Last edited:

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Spirit of Kenzi would be nice.
PS could she be sox. as in SoK?

That's nice - but the passport has to stay in her name of Kind Eyes. I'm thinking more of what to call her on a day to day basis as her pet name - you know like when you're shouting them in the field....Sox would be good for that...she has four white socks as well!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Just call her what comes naturally I don't think you can force yourself to call a pet a particular name it sort of forms itself - mine has a variety of names depends on the day and how well behaved he is :D

Capriole

Visit site
Call it whatever you like! But then Im not the least superstisious (sorry, mind blank on how to spell that :eek: ) so I dont worry about things like that.

Which are you drawn to? Or something else entirely? I like Spirit over Kenzi, not keen on that.

Moomin1

Visit site
My horse came to me called Lulu, but she only ever gets called that when she's being naughty!! She is called anything from Lulie, poppet, chaffy chops, cake (don't know why!!!), poopy face (she has a nasty habit of rubbing her face in poo :mad:). She responds to any and all of these!!

Back to the original post though - I like unique and unusual names, so would stay away from Sox, although it is an easy name to shout..as long as you don't get your tongue in a twist or you may end up being arrested for indecency!

I think a lot depends on her personality and looks too!!

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
I bought a 2 year old skewbald New Forest X filly in the middle of November. The owner was really nice who I got her off, but the pony's history is a bit unknown. I know that she was bred on the forest (I spoke to the original owner/breeder who told me that she is out of a coloured mare called One Eye - because she only has one eye - but the stallion is unknown as there were three in the area where the dam ran.) Anyway, when I bought her, the girl I got her off said that she was called "Kenzi" (passport name Kind Eyes). She hadn't had her long and it's not known how many owners she had since she had been through Beaulieu Road Sales and the passport had never been updated with any owners - only the original breeder.
So the pony was microchipped and I phoned them up explaining that I couldn't get hold of whoever had microchipped her as I had no idea who it was. I sent them a cheque with my details and today they have sent me the microchip certificate.
It seems that her real pet name is "Spirit" according to the documentation they have sent me.
So do I keep her name as Kenzi or change it back to Spirit?

Kenzi is unusual but a nice name all the same.

fallenangel123

Visit site
I bought a gelding for the kids whose name was Miffy. We drew a name out of a hat and changed it to Bilbo which actually suits him better, although anything would have to be honest!
Out of the two I prefer Spirit, but it all depends what comes more naturally to you.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Change it if you want- my cob was called curly when I got him - no way on this earth I was keeping that. About 12 years on if the bad luckcatches up with us now I don't think I can really blame the name change!

Bernster

Visit site
Funny how superstitious we can be about horse names, but I am just the same. I did change one from Jerry because he came from a dealer where they all had names like that, so was pretty sure it wasn't his stable name. I used something closer to his passport name instead.

I'd think about which name you wouldn't mind yelling out when you're trying to get her in from the field. I like Kenzi.

MissChaos

Visit site
Changed my new boy's when he arrived last year - I'm quite boring and prefer human names, plus I just couldn't 'see' his previous name on him. Producer who brought him over did say she felt a bit silly sometimes yelling his old name across the field!

We're both still standing so doesn't look like we're too jinxed atm. Also bought him on Friday 13th just to really do the job properly :D

ETA in answer to original q :eek: go with your instinct - depends on what she's like herself. Pull something totally different out if you want!

Last edited: