Now then, these Designer Breeds ….

maisie06

Visit site
Can't hear video on phone but get the gist.
We are in Norfolk for a couple of days and what I want to know is... Does anyone have a designer crossbreed with any training at all? I have seen nothing but manic, whingey, badly behaved poo things. I cannot believe they are all untrainable so have to attribute it to the owners. Perhaps if you are the sort of person who seeks out a 'poo you love it so much making it heel or not yap would be bullying.

There's a cockerpoo that comes to the evening obedience class my gundog trainer runs that is a total delight, mind you the young lass that owns her has put in many hours of training and has supportive parents with gundogs, But I agree many of these poo's (i call them shits) are a nightmare, spoilt, overfed and badly behaved and allowed to get away with murder...most I have to say belong to very novice owners and one training club says they are their "bread and butter" I personally and not keen on the type of training they offer as it's treat, treat, treat...Treats have there place but these dogs get treated for literally anything and everything!

CrazyMare

Visit site
Re Jack Russell crosses, there's two near me. Crossed with pugs. They have longer snouts, no breathing problems and they are hard as nails. Proper happy, tough little dogs. They are fabulous little critters that I'd have!

meleeka

Visit site
Re Jack Russell crosses, there's two near me. Crossed with pugs. They have longer snouts, no breathing problems and they are hard as nails. Proper happy, tough little dogs. They are fabulous little critters that I'd have!
I know one and it’s awful! It has novice owners which is probably why but I don’t think I’ve ever met such a bad mannered dog. It’s not very attractive either with a horribly undershot jaw.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
... many of these poo's (i call them shits) are a nightmare... one training club says they are their "bread and butter" ... not keen on the type of training they offer as it's treat, treat, treat...Treats have there place but these dogs get treated for literally anything and everything!

There you are: the trainers' bread and butter (possible washed down with champagne, with a bit of caviar on Sundays, as well) comes from convincing the owners that the dogs "are doing really well, deserve another treat just for turning up to class, but need to come back for another few sessions, just to make sure the training has stuck in their dear little heads"...

Clodagh

Visit site
I know one and it’s awful! It has novice owners which is probably why but I don’t think I’ve ever met such a bad mannered dog. It’s not very attractive either with a horribly undershot jaw.

I too have only seen pug crosses that have had a nasty accident with the ugly tree. I love pugs but those jaws go all higgeldy when crossed. I love pugs though, a dotage breed for me, like dachshunds, when I am old I shall have them. (And when I have won the lottery for the vets bills!).

We call the village hall training classes 'Treat dispensing tuition'.

Sarah_K

Visit site
Can't hear video on phone but get the gist.
We are in Norfolk for a couple of days and what I want to know is... Does anyone have a designer crossbreed with any training at all? I have seen nothing but manic, whingey, badly behaved poo things. I cannot believe they are all untrainable so have to attribute it to the owners. Perhaps if you are the sort of person who seeks out a 'poo you love it so much making it heel or not yap would be bullying.

Yep, I have one, although not a 'poo. Technically I think the name for his "breed" is Chichon (Bichon mother, Chihuahua father). As far as I'm concerned he's a crossbreed. He does agility, doing our KCGC Advanced in a couple of weeks (eek!), just for fun we also do some gundog training (that's just at home though with some help from parent's neighbour). Once he's got his advanced, think we might move onto Rally classes, or the centre I go to run a "trick" training class. Might be fun :)

There's a few cockerpoo's go to the training centre. Unless they have committed owners who really work with their dogs they are a complete handful. One who goes to agility is probably the most high energy, bonkers dog I've ever met. Fortunately, the girl who has him spends a lot of time tiring him out both mentally and physically. He's well behaved, but a lot of training has gone into making him the dog he is.

CrazyMare

Visit site

Just shows that you can't guarantee the way the genetics work in these crosses. This pair are incredibly cute, small but hardy, well behaved but up for terrier play.

They have good jaws and snouts.

millikins

Visit site
I have a Standard Poodle. He's an old man now but has been very challenging, high intelligence but very willful, sensitive and not a submissive curl on his coat. I can actually see the appeal of a crossbreed that has the non moulting coat, brains and good health of poodles combined with a bit more softness from the gundog breeds. Though I doubt that's the reason most people buy Cockerpoos.

Clodagh

Visit site
My Cavachon and Scotchon both have perfect recall at all times and both are rescues.

I am being dim, what are they crosses of?

Ah! Bichon x CKC and Bichon x Scotch terrier? I have to ask what the improvement is on these crosses over the pure breeds?

Clodagh

Visit site
I am being dim, what are they crosses of?

Ah! Bichon x CKC and Bichon x Scotch terrier? I have to ask what the improvement is on these crosses over the pure breeds?

Trouble is cockers are high energy and neurotic, so not an ideal improving breed. I can actually almost see the point of a labradoodle or a poodle x with an easy breed.

Moobli

Visit site
Labradoodles and Cockerpoos seem to be a good choice as a companion dog for active families. They generally have happy, outgoing temperaments (in my area anyway) and are good with children and other dogs. The one thing some people seem to overlook though is the bags of energy these dogs have - Cockerpoos especially. They are generally a mix of working cocker and miniature poodle around here and so are very busy little dogs that need plenty to do including training.

Winifleur

Visit site
Trouble is cockers are high energy and neurotic, so not an ideal improving breed. I can actually almost see the point of a labradoodle or a poodle x with an easy breed.

I don't have a cocker cross anything, mine is cavalier king Charles x Bichon and Scottie x Bichon

Clodagh

Visit site
I don't have a cocker cross anything, mine is cavalier king Charles x Bichon and Scottie x Bichon

Sorry, shouldn't have quoted you there, it was aimed at Millikins.
But what do you think the breeder was hoping to improve upon, by crossing the breeds in your dogs?

Landcruiser

Visit site
We have two, both specifically chosen by us for their particular "designer" mix to fit with our family and wants for them - agility with the kids/walking companions/good temperament. We have a collie/greyhound (lurcher) who is gentle, clever, and absolutely charms everyone he meets. And we have Neville, a sproodle (working springer/miniature poodle), who is extremely trainable, but is very much a one person dog. He is my shadow, and will follow a horse or stay out of the way, or quietly wait in the lorry for hours if I'm out competing. He is in fact an ace lorry dog, and a great companion. They both did obedience and agility until the kids got too teenage and cool to continue.

We paid through the nose for both of them, particularly Nev, but they are both super and very civilized indeed.