NT bans trail hunting

Antw23uk

Visit site
What a sad day but with my limited knowledge and experience I cant help but think they did themselves no favours! Sadly the minority ruin it for the majority yet again from both parties!

Clodagh

Visit site
I wonder what the NT are going to do on Killerton Estate 6,400 acres and Holnicote Estate 12,000 acres both of which were gifted to NT by Sir Richard Acland with a hunting must continue proviso??
Well they should adhere to the wording of the legacy, but when you think the RSPB can sell gifted properties for housing estates these big charities seem to do what they like.

palo1

Visit site
I wonder how the NT are squaring this contradiction and whether there will be any trouble for them over the ban in this case? I wonder even if they have made this situation really clear to the members (I have seen nothing to suggest they have addressed this) and how that might be received.

They could have dealt with this so much better I think. :(

jkitten

Visit site
I wonder what the NT are going to do on Killerton Estate 6,400 acres and Holnicote Estate 12,000 acres both of which were gifted to NT by Sir Richard Acland with a hunting must continue proviso??

If drag hunting is still allowed they will probably be okay, unless he specified trail hunting (I suspect not, since presumably the kind of hunting he actually wanted to continue was the kind which is now illegal).

paddy555

Visit site

I expect it will be something along the lines of they are not against hunting but, in view of what has happened etc etc, they cannot condone/allow illegal activity on land they own/manage and they cannot trust the hunt to comply so they have no choice.
What else can happen. Acland is long dead. Someone would have to challenge the NT. Would it be the members many of whom I suspect either don't care or are against hunting anyway. If someone were to challenge them then who would fund it? CLA? who?

Bob notacob

Visit site
I expect it will be something along the lines of they are not against hunting but, in view of what has happened etc etc, they cannot condone/allow illegal activity on land they own/manage and they cannot trust the hunt to comply so they have no choice.
What else can happen. Acland is long dead. Someone would have to challenge the NT. Would it be the members many of whom I suspect either don't care or are against hunting anyway. If someone were to challenge them then who would fund it? CLA? who?
If hunting is illegal then hunting cannot continue .Therefore the estate reverts to its owners . Suck on that NT. Would love to be a Barrister on that case.LOL

palo1

Visit site
This is a sad fact and I wonder what response the NT will have to questions about their management : when the NT took over the Holnicote Estate, part of which covers Exmoor, Grouse were still plentiful. Since shooting and moor management stopped on the moor, the Grouse and a small but vibrant population of Hen Harrier have gone.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I've no idea how the legalities of going against conditions applied when certain previous owners bequested their properties to the NT will pan out. One for the barristers to get rich on, I suspect, if anyone has the ££££ to challenge the NT. I imagine that the NT's case would centre on whether they can be confident that modern day trail hunting on their premises is being performed in a legal manner or not.

As an aside, a teenage TP did, long before the ban, hunt on the land surrounding Killerton :). It's a lovely estate.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
That's not a surprise decision by Cheshire West and Cheshire Council, it's been rumbling on for a while now. It's to a certain extent grandstanding, but it sends out a signal.

I do see that it's still the same spokesperson for the Countryside Alliance, spouting stuff about legal trail hunting while she herself hunts with an infamous highly suspect pack :rolleyes:. The same old guard are still in post...

Meanwhile, the Countryside Alliance said trail hunting was legal and supports employment and businesses.

Polly Portwin, from the group, said the policy would not result in changes as local hunts use private land. "We will be exploring further steps, but in the meantime hunts in Cheshire will continue to carry out lawful activity and liaise with the council ahead of the popular Boxing Day meets," she said.