numnah/saddlecloth/pad reccomendations for back issues

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
have had a total nightmare with my horse and saddle issues. have found the best way round this is a different approach to saddles and a nice thick pad. have been using a prolite all round saddle cloth and a le meiux pad, but the prolite saddle cloth girth loops etc are in all the wrong place for the saddle. so, looking for a very thick pad/cloth that completely cushions the back. was looking at either poly pad or nuumed sheepskin/lambskin. i realise this is not an ideal solution but saddle has been fitted to accomadate a thick pad due to our 'issues'. any reccomendations??

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
What are the issues?
Cannot your Saddler help you sort it out?
Oz :)

you'll be sorry you asked!!!
basically i got a brand new saddle and things started to go wrong. horse started going lame under saddle and eventually developed a strange gait in trot- vets call it a hip hike. i was assured time and time again by master saddler that saddle fitted and wasnt an issue.had lots of vets look at him with no diagnosis. after £5000 diagnostics inc bone scan, x rays,nerver blocks etc i was reffered to RVC who said the saddle didnt fit!!! i have since tried a kay humphries saddle and balance international with good results, but only with a thick saddle pad underneath. vets think its either aggrivating an old back injury or remembered pain but either way a thick pad seems to make things better. neither saddler is happy with the fact i have to use a thick pad but its the first time in a year he's been sound under saddle so going with that. he seems to like the total cushioning effect

Izzwizz

Visit site
Nuumed are really good numnahs, esp the thick wool one, I have one. If you give them a ring I bet they will be really helpful, Google them and their site will show you the products they have. It used to anyway, I looked at it once and their range of products is plentiful.

0ldmare

Visit site
Balance do their own ultra thick numnahs, surprised they didnt suggest one of theirs, which presumable are designed to fit their saddles?

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Balance do their own ultra thick numnahs, surprised they didnt suggest one of theirs, which presumable are designed to fit their saddles?

hi, yes they do and yes they did. its just i'm not sure i'm going to settle for the balance saddle. having good results in the barry swain/kay humphries saddle which to be fair is prob going to work out cheaper

unicornleather

Visit site
you'll be sorry you asked!!!
basically i got a brand new saddle and things started to go wrong. horse started going lame under saddle and eventually developed a strange gait in trot- vets call it a hip hike. i was assured time and time again by master saddler that saddle fitted and wasnt an issue.had lots of vets look at him with no diagnosis. after £5000 diagnostics inc bone scan, x rays,nerver blocks etc i was reffered to RVC who said the saddle didnt fit!!! i have since tried a kay humphries saddle and balance international with good results, but only with a thick saddle pad underneath. vets think its either aggrivating an old back injury or remembered pain but either way a thick pad seems to make things better. neither saddler is happy with the fact i have to use a thick pad but its the first time in a year he's been sound under saddle so going with that. he seems to like the total cushioning effect

I see!
You're going to get fed up with me keep asking you questions but I really can't help myself!
Didn't you have any recourse with the Saddler who sold you the saddle?

Oz :)