Numpties guide to "The BHS Situation"

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I was talking about mutings over the last few weeks/months, I didn't mention the deletion of posts? I just don't think people can be up in arms about the BHS about it when doing similar themselves. It's pretty hypocritical.

You obviously have a LONG memory - though not so good on facts. There have been NO mutings since February -and it is in fact 'post approval' - where a post doesn't appear until a moderator has checked it. It's a short-lived (usually 5 days) of giving a warning. The last one was a chap who joined and immediately started posting totally irrelevent rubbish. He was muted and warned - and left the Group. Another member was muted after posting inflammatory and arguably libelous posts - she was put on 'post approval' for 5 days and is still a member (and still IS a bit inflammatory and insulting to those of us who dare disagree with her, lol) There have been none put on post approval in the past 3 months.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Quite, there were 'mutings' (which was the term used at the time) I just didn't go back to check exactly when since Christmas as I had an appointment to get to so went with weeks/months. I don't see where I am wrong on facts. Not sure what is wrong with having a decent memory.

You either believe in everyone being able to have a say or you don't I'm afraid and you lost a lot of credibility in mine and others eyes as a result (as have the BHS) so I was rather gobsmacked to see you berate the BHS for doing similar.

Fwiw I have continued to support the members group despite several misgivings and having to put people on ignore after feeling very uncomfortable during the danny baker debacle. I have also pointed several people on the BHS thread to the group and and the info/facts page too. But when people get ranty and impolite I do start to question if that is the tack I should be taking.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Quite, there were 'mutings' (which was the term used at the time) I just didn't go back to check exactly when since Christmas as I had an appointment to get to so went with weeks/months. I don't see where I am wrong on facts. Not sure what is wrong with having a decent memory.

You either believe in everyone being able to have a say or you don't I'm afraid and you lost a lot of credibility in mine and others eyes as a result (as have the BHS) so I was rather gobsmacked to see you berate the BHS for doing similar.

Fwiw I have continued to support the members group despite several misgivings and having to put people on ignore after feeling very uncomfortable during the danny baker debacle. I have also pointed several people on the BHS thread to the group and and the info/facts page too. But when people get ranty and impolite I do start to question if that is the tack I should be taking.

Ester - I am inundated with PMs from members who think I should CHUCK OUT people who are abusive and I avoid it - because they are hoisted by their own petard. But you cannot run a FB Group without a few rules. FB has them, we have to too. Or it's total mayhem.

Themis

Visit site
From another thread -
This letter has already been sent to the Chairman today by many of the signatories to the petition for a Vote of No Confidence. Any members of the who are happy with and support its content, might like to sign and send to david.sheerin@bhs.org.uk

There has been a LOT of work go into its preparation and I congratulate the prime movers on this – I know how many hours of work has been involved in double-checking all facts and trying to get the tone right.

If you are one of those with additional thoughts or concerns you would like to add, here is one suggested possibility: "Obviously, not all of us who support all of the information that those who signed the petition have managed to collate have seen everything detailed, but I have seen enough hard evidence to vote for the motion."

Attachment

Attachments

• Chairman-23-5.pdf
    477.2 KB · Views: 11

case895

Visit site
I received a letter this week saying that 43 (ish) out of 107000 (ish) members have some something or other to trigger a meeting. It did strike me that it seemed a very small proportion.

honetpot

Visit site
I received a letter this week saying that 43 (ish) out of 107000 (ish) members have some something or other to trigger a meeting. It did strike me that it seemed a very small proportion.

You only need 12, and there probabely a lot more that would have signed but it has to be presented in one document. Votes that have changed the way the BHS is run have been made with even less people involved.
The membership numbers quoted include non voting members.

ECB

Visit site
Deadline Friday - BHS members - the deadline to register to attend the general meeting or to assign your proxy vote is Friday. Your vote is your voice. Use it or lose it. PM me if you need a proxy vote or want to find out more about why this meeting was requisitioned by petition of members.

ECB

Visit site
If you need a proxy to carry your vote to the BHS meeting, pm me please. Deadline Sunday 7pm.

Themis

Visit site
Here's a useful post from Facebook - In my opinion, this one of the "root causes" of the symptoms we observe. Some members primarily join the "charity" and others primarily join "the brand" for CPD etc and some join both. That range from "charity to CPD", in my opinion, used to be perceived as the unique selling point "USP" of the BHS - it was both a charity and a professional education body. Over time though, in my view, the governance (and governors) have not maintained the balance or perhaps, not managed the perception of a balance. It looks as if the "brand" is all important. We see changes of logo and then large flashy advertising with large price tags after the fact, without well communicated business cases in advance.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Here's a useful post from Facebook - In my opinion, this one of the "root causes" of the symptoms we observe. Some members primarily join the "charity" and others primarily join "the brand" for CPD etc and some join both. That range from "charity to CPD", in my opinion, used to be perceived as the unique selling point "USP" of the BHS - it was both a charity and a professional education body. Over time though, in my view, the governance (and governors) have not maintained the balance or perhaps, not managed the perception of a balance. It looks as if the "brand" is all important. We see changes of logo and then large flashy advertising with large price tags after the fact, without well communicated business cases in advance.

So True - far too much 'marketing' drive - and not enough real care or concern for primary issues. That would cross the first name on the Candidates' list right off for me. Look for new Trustees who are far more in touch with the grass roots: welfare, safety, access - they already have an education 'candidate pre-picked and the only one 'approved by the Nominations committee. Three GOOD new Trustees is all the chance members get to have a say: on everything I've dug up, I would recommend Fran Mason, Sally McCarthy and Anita Quigley.

Themis

Visit site
Quite a few of these being sent -

Thank you for your email and your instruction to cancel your membership with the BHS.

The Board of Trustees and I are deeply saddened by the situation that The British Horse Society has found itself in this week; the General Meeting was a sad event for all of our supporters and there were no winners, regardless of the outcome of the vote. I am truly sorry that you feel that this is the end of the road for your relationship with the BHS after your many years of membership. I do hope that you will continue to observe our progress and eventually feel that you would like to take up your membership again.

Many thanks again for your committed support over the years.

Themis

Visit site
What passive language - they are saddened to have found themselves in a sad situation & event. Their own words deny responsibility for what has happened. These people are not fit to govern or lead.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I am rather disappointed by the piece in H&H about the meeting and its associated headline. Was IMHO rather biased towards BHS and did not really reflect the meeting that I saw and heard.

Themis

Visit site
H&H are biased. The report does not match with the reality of the meeting. The presence of the H&H was not made public at the meeting.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Famous last words from Mr Sheerin join the Trustees!! 15 applied only 6 were deemed suitable by the Nominations Committee, 1 of which is a co-opted Trustee already.