Numpty here!

Carlosmum

Visit site
Feeling a bit of a numpty, but its a long time since I was in the pc. I've been poulticing pony's foot for a few days, hoping for a bruise or abscess not a return of his laminitis. Anyway, lots of online advice has been to use a nappy, and here is the numpty bit... do people mean as the poultice or is it as the padding? There I have said it, don't all laugh at once! currently using animalintex a pad of gamgee and copious amounts of vet wrap, a cut down feed bag and parcel tape. I've ordered a poultice wrap to arrive in a bit, I think it will be easier, he is not the most patient with his foot in the air and I have no extra hands. Thanks all!

NOISYGIRL2

Visit site
For padding and dry dressing after you've wet poulticed for max 4 days, I'd get your farrier out asap if you've already poulticed it may be soft enough for them to find an abscess if there is one, otherwise rule out Laminitis. Has your horse been tested for PPID abscesses can be a symptom plus laminitis.

I used to prepare the poultice, put on then nappy then vetwrap then duct tape just the base for protection, I found that the canvas boots they do are good too for keeping all in place.

Carlosmum

Visit site
For padding and dry dressing after you've wet poulticed for max 4 days, I'd get your farrier out asap if you've already poulticed it may be soft enough for them to find an abscess if there is one, otherwise rule out Laminitis. Has your horse been tested for PPID abscesses can be a symptom plus laminitis.

Farrier came out and took his shoe off, vet has also looked though all a bit inconclusive. Pony is positive for both EMS and PPID so laminitis is the most likely issue, however the lameness has presented in a different way this time hence the thought it might be an abscess.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
As the poultice, with a dressing of magnesium sulphate paste as the drawing agent, but it won't work unless the abscess has broken open or been dug out.