Numpty moment and question re grooming?

Taffyhorse

Visit site
Morning all,

Well my Sunday has got off to a banging start when I put my clock forward instead of back... So instead of getting up at 6.30, I was actually up at the 'new' 4.30 instead wondering why it was so dark when it should in fact be lighter in the mornings. It then took me nearly half an hour to realise this (unlike the mutt who rapidly buggered back off to bed muttering about stupid mothers) so abandoned the idea of going back to bed...

Anyway, hopefully that's my numpty moment out of the way for the week, however the next question may expose another one...

My BC has sports seriously fluffy knickers which despite repeated brushing which is quite difficult as its that really fluffy, knotty type fur (hope that makes sense!) gets pretty dirty around that area and picks up the odd 'cling on'. Sooo, was planning to bath him later today anyway (due to a roll in black, stinky bog/pond water) and was wondering two things...

A) would it be horrifically bad to run the clippers up the insides of his back legs and perhaps snip the fur round his bum? Tbh, I don't really care what it looks like (tho he probably will he he he) but he is a nightmare to try and keep clean in the winter and the cling ons I could do without especially as he's a bit fond of laying on the sofa and on my knees...

B) I use pig oil and sulphur on my horse in the winter - would it be okay to smear a bit of pig oil on his legs and tummy? Just thought it may help the mud to dry out and fall off and make his coat a bit easier to brush through.

Apols if these are numpty questions - groomers, please don't breathe fire and brimstone on me, its still very early :-(

Thanks for your help.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Taffyhorse, you made me laugh with the fire and brimstone comment, this being halllooweeeeen and all :D My favorite holiday in fact! (cue lightening strike and vincent price cackling in the background...)

For best results I do the following:

From and aesthetic as well as practical point of view, it is not uncommon to trim the way you've described. Personally, I just wouldn't go too mad removing the furnishing from his bum or he'll get teased for resembling a baboon. If you stand at the back of the dog, moving his tail out of the way, try to shape the pantaloons so they look like curtains, ie curving in at the top and and then softly out at the middle and then in at the hock again. If you use a pair of thinning scissors (you can buy ones made by Mikki at pet stores cheaply enough), it tends to look best cos it doesn't leave as many marks. And always scissor teh direction that the hair is growing, which will mean that your wrist will be in a very awkward, unnatural position. If it hurts, you're doing it right! LOL

Then, standing at the side with the tail up, repeat that process so that you have curved bum cheeks.

If there are matts in the furnishing, I tend to take a wee trimmer and very discretely clip them out, but trying to keep enough hair there to hide the hole that I've now created with clipping.

Also, with a very light touch, clip the "rosette" (what my grooming mentor calls it ;) ) lightly so that you don't burn or leave it itchy and maybe a few centimeters below so that you've created more hygeinic area. And then also don't forget to tidy any hairs from the tail that might hang down. A few centimeters from the base of hte tail quite short and then taper out toward the tip as necessary.

There, easy peasy! :D

As for the pig oil....have NO clue! I've never used the stuff so wouldn't know! If you try it, let me know how you get on with it!

Taffyhorse

Visit site
Hi PucciNPony,

Thanks for this - unfortunately I read your post after I attacked him rather demonically with the scissors :-0 He looks ok though - I snipped away whilst he was still wet from his bath and will tidy him up a bit when he's dry and I've brushed his coat through.

Pig Oil - well I ended up bathing him at home and pig oil is at the yard so will have to try that another day.

Thanks for your help :)