numpty question about girth size

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
You measure from the part of the buckle where the pin attaches, to the same on the other side.

This is the correct place, but a few cheaper manufacturers do go end to end, which is meaningless really as some buckles are really long and some stubby, so the first way is the only way that is consistent, as this is the measurement that will be consistent to the size of your horse.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Although it seems sensible to measure from buckle tongue to tongue, I've just measured our dressage girths and it seems they measure from the buckle end. Some are expensive leather ones and some are cheapies. I guess it may vary with the manufacturer.

landyandy

Visit site
thank you, I thought that , my mare is in a 52", but I have started putting her saddle further back, my girth fastened ok, but with a struggle, so just got one 4" bigger, but measures same as my old one, I know leather does give, but not 4", think I need to take my old one with me and measure against it before I buy thank you

landyandy

Visit site
I have just emailed the place where I got my girth from, they have said buckle bar to buckle bar, so it only measures 53", that's 3" short. I hate sending things back,

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I have just emailed the place where I got my girth from, they have said buckle bar to buckle bar, so it only measures 53", that's 3" short. I hate sending things back,

In that case all of mine are short by about 2". Obviously these manufacturers don't possess a tape measure!

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
You measure from the part of the buckle where the pin attaches, to the same on the other side.

This is the correct place, but a few cheaper manufacturers do go end to end, which is meaningless really as some buckles are really long and some stubby, so the first way is the only way that is consistent, as this is the measurement that will be consistent to the size of your horse.

Yes, exactly, we are taught as Saddlers that you measure from bottom of the buckle tongue but as you say, the massed produced girths are made by manufacturers who often have no saddlery experience or training.

If you measure from the bottom of the buckle tongue across to the other buckle tongue and the measurement is say 52", then that's an accurate measurement.
Now add this looped girth buckle below and then measure it as the manufacturers measure it, that is end to end of the buckles, you won't get 52 " that's for sure more like 55-56" so when you buy what you think is a 52" girth measuring it this way you will have a girth approx 4 inches shorter as most girths come in 2" increment sizes, so you'd get a 48" that can make all the difference if your horse/pony goes up or down in weight.
Hope that makes sense.
Oz

Girth%20buckle%20Looped%20with%20roller_zpsxsu6wsd5.jpg
[/URL]

PS we measure all saddlery from the base like this, whether girths, stirrup leathers, or cheek pieces, never end of buckle

Last edited: