Numpty question, how long a girth do I need?

Oscar

Visit site
Sorry for the Numpty question but I am after a new girth for my dressage saddle and I want to know where ideally the girth should sit on the horse. It is a dressage saddle with long girth straps, my current girth sits just above the point of elbow on each side, and there is a good few inches between the girth and the saddle flap. Should it ideally be higher than this?

I've got brain ache on this as I saw something on the wibbly web the other day that showed a short girth and the pic said it was incorrect size, but looked ok to me, and no I can't find it again lol.

Under-the-radar

Visit site
You want to have the buckles above the height of the elbows, so that there is no chance of the elbows hitting them. If your current girth is sitting just above the point of elbow, it is likely (depending on the make and style) that the buckles are at prime elbow hitting height. I aim for just a couple of inches between saddle and girth when it is done up :)

tiggs

Visit site
Mine is on the third or fourth hole on the girth strap on each side ( counting from the bottom)