Numpty question re towing

mudmonkey17

Visit site
I am looking at changing car to something that can tow a trailer so can get out to shows more rather than relying on lifts.

I only need to take one small tb and can hire the yard trailer which is one of the larger ifor williams. I thought could look for a smaller 4x4 that would be more economical but a friend has said that the vehicle must be capable of towing the trailer full and not just with one horse.

So my question is would i need something that was capable of towing the trailer plus 2 17.2s which it can travel just to take on horse in it?

Any replies appreciated and well done if you got this far and understood it :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
No you wouldn't. You only need to be able to legally tow what you are towing on the day you are towing it :)

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Great thanks so if got a car that could tow 2000 it would be fine with the trailer at 1000 and a 450 horse?

Dusty85

Visit site
Who told you that you would need a 4x4 with a large towing capacity for one horse?!? They are very wrong!!

I have a new freelander and a Ifor 510 (large one 1000 kg) with a 560 kg horse. Tows perfectly with no probs. great car, reliable. Can drive 300 miles on half a tank on the motorway, 30-35mpg around town.
Hope that helps!!

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Those are great thanks. I currently don't have trailer test but plan to take it. In meantime have a driver who passed before 1997 and very experienced :)

DosyMare

Visit site
We were advised recently that you have to have a vechicle that is plated to tow the MAM weight of the trailer, regardless of what is in the trailer.
Unless you have the trailer re plated at a lower MAM.

We were told technically you shouldn't tow with a Freelander (2000kg tow limit) although it's capable to pull it.

Ifor Williams trailers MAM weight changes with each trailer - HB505 MAM is 2340kg and should be towed with a vechicle that can tow that. Land Rover Discovery can tow up to 3500kg.

But it just gets so confusing.

http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/towing_weights_law.htm

Last edited:

Dusty85

Visit site
I disagree with what Dosymare said: I've been told by several different people (trailer company, police friends, driving instructor when I passed B+E etc etc) that I am perfectly legal to tow with my freelander and my 510 trailer, as long as I'm not going over my 2000kg tow limit.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I disagree with what Dosymare said: I've been told by several different people (trailer company, police friends, driving instructor when I passed B+E etc etc) that I am perfectly legal to tow with my freelander and my 510 trailer, as long as I'm not going over my 2000kg tow limit.

You are. I took my trailer test and was told the same.

If any doubt remains ask rog, if he doesn't appear of his own accord, as he knows about all this stuff OP

ROG

Visit site
We were advised recently that you have to have a vechicle that is plated to tow the MAM weight of the trailer, regardless of what is in the trailer.
Unless you have the trailer re plated at a lower MAM.

We were told technically you shouldn't tow with a Freelander (2000kg tow limit) although it's capable to pull it.

Ifor Williams trailers MAM weight changes with each trailer - HB505 MAM is 2340kg and should be towed with a vechicle that can tow that. Land Rover Discovery can tow up to 3500kg.

But it just gets so confusing.

http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/towing_weights_law.htm

Dusty85 is legally correct :D

There is no law or rule which states the manufacturers recommended towing capacity of a vehicle must be able to cope with a trailer if the trailer is loaded to its MAM but there is an internet myth saying it must !!

If anybody says otherwise then ask them what law would be broken

If the OP does not have B+E and the set up is outside B licence towing rules then they can drive as a learner .....
SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.
All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.
The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner

Puffin

Visit site
You don't really need a 4x4 at all if you only tow 1 horse, I used to tow 1 horse (TB) in a Ifor 505 with a Ford Mondeo estate and it was fine. You do need a properly big heavy estate (a volvo V70 would be another one), and I recommend a diesel.

I was even stopped once by the police doing a spot check of licences and towing setups (he checked my break cable was clipped on rather than just hooked over) and they were fine with it.

The ford did over 50mpg on a mixed cycle (ie to work) and 35mpg while towing.

anna22

Visit site
I've towed on my mondeo estate before, tows incredibly well for a car and still fairly economical. They can tow up to 1800kg so cover a trailer and one horse easily.
I now tow with a discovery (the OH's :D) but my boy weighs nearly 700kg and can put up a fair show when on board so I need the stability the disco offers. Have towed several on my mondeo though and it was great!

SnowGoose

Visit site
I have just downgraded my lorry to an Ifor 505 and am off later this month to purchase a 2010 ford mondeo 2.0tdci estate 140bhp 2000kg towing capacity. I have decent commute to work which is reason for having small car and lorry previously however the mondeo will do about 60mpg commuting which is better than my present car and with 2000kg more than enough to tow my 905kg trailer, one 16hh horse and tack pack + wheelybin full of kit which will be bungied in to front and spare partition (away from horses legs!) if I go away overnight. Mondeo was by far the most economical car with best towing capacity following my extensive research and have had lots of positive reports about towing with them having only towed with gas-guzzling 4x4s previously.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Great thanks so if got a car that could tow 2000 it would be fine with the trailer at 1000 and a 450 horse?

Yes :)
Also make sure that the combined weight of horse & trailer is lighter than the car otherwise you have a problem. Ifor williams trailers are really heavy- hence why I just bought a Bateson!

ROG

Visit site
Yes :)
Also make sure that the combined weight of horse & trailer is lighter than the car otherwise you have a problem.
Vehicle towing capacities mean that having the trailer lighter than the towing vehicle is not necessary as those capacities have been based on safety as well as other factors

There are some 4x4s out there which are only 2700 when fully loaded but are designed to tow a fully laden 3500 trailers

Is it easier to control a trailer if the vehicle is heavier? = yes it is

DosyMare

Visit site
There is no law or rule which states the manufacturers recommended towing capacity of a vehicle must be able to cope with a trailer if the trailer is loaded to its MAM but there is an internet myth saying it must !!

Thank you for this ROG - we got so confused with people telling us different rules.

We have a Disco and it tows two big hunters and does the job well. :)