Nunney horse trials

sunleychops

Visit site
BE are waiting to release a statement regarding an incident there on the cross country course.

There are unconfirmed reports that a Canadian rider has died :-(

**** week for eventing

TGM

Visit site
It doesn't matter, if it is not confirmed don't participate in discussion until it is confirmed that next of kin have been notified.

teazle

Visit site
BE specifically requested no speculation until they or the event organisers themselves issue an official statement. "Unconfirmed reports", whether from a newspaper or not, are unnecessary.

sunleychops

Visit site
I would hope BE have already informed next of kin if reports are to be believed.

Also perhaps BE shouldn't say anything until they have a full statement ready. All they have done is fuel rumour.

teazle

Visit site
You mean all YOU have done is fuel rumour. BE issued a statement to try and prevent this type of rumourmongering happening. Have some respect and decency. Word spreads fast because of people like you.

LMR

Visit site
No one has been named on this post so not sure how anyone would find out next of kin have tragically passed via social media.

However whatever has happened is obviously terrible, and thoughts are with those involved.

I do agree BE have probably sparked people's interest into what happened by releasing this statement.

Xander

Visit site
No one has been named on this post so not sure how anyone would find out next of kin have tragically passed via social media.

However whatever has happened is obviously terrible, and thoughts are with those involved.

I do agree BE have probably sparked people's interest into what happened by releasing this statement.

Obviously people were there and may have been following on Twitter and Facebook. After a tragic death last year (where the next of kin were unavailable) and the incident was widely discussed, I think BE are just trying to prevent anything similar happening.

teapot

Visit site
Obviously people were there and may have been following on Twitter and Facebook. After a tragic death last year (where the next of kin were unavailable) and the incident was widely discussed, I think BE are just trying to prevent anything similar happening.

Not to mention with its new rules on social media.

The Frome Standard has just made matters worse by being more specific than the official BE and Nunney statement.

I would hope BE have already informed next of kin if reports are to be believed.

Also perhaps BE shouldn't say anything until they have a full statement ready. All they have done is fuel rumour.

Next of kin can take hours to do, not minutes so I hope the newspaper concerned gets a talking to.

Sad sad day for the Eventing world :(

Last edited:

amage

Visit site
Not to mention with its new rules on social media.

The Frome Standard has just made matters worse by being more specific than the official BE and Nunney statement.

Next of kin can take hours to do, not minutes so I hope the newspaper concerned gets a talking to.

Sad sad day for the Eventing world :(

In fairness if you read the Frome Standard report on the incident they quoted the statement from the event organisers which stated a Canadian rider has been killed following a rotational fall so hardly speculation or unfounded info. Just because BE have yet to produce a statement there is no reason to attack the poster who quoted a news website operating from a bonafide statement.

It is tragic as was the death in Lumuhlen. RIP to both

teapot

Visit site
In fairness if you read the Frome Standard report on the incident they quoted the statement from the event organisers which stated a Canadian rider has been killed following a rotational fall so hardly speculation or unfounded info. Just because BE have yet to produce a statement there is no reason to attack the poster who quoted a news website operating from a bonafide statement.

It is tragic as was the death in Lumuhlen. RIP to both

BUT if you look at Nunney's website or facebook page, they haven't actually posted it either. It is not in the public domain as yet.

What social media does allow for is for people to report the paper's article quickly and it has NOT gone unnoticed that it's come out in the public domain before it was meant to.

Last edited:

mahonenx

Visit site
Actually, Nunney announced it on twitter pretty soon after it happened stating there had been a serious incident and the rest of today is therefore cancelled.

teapot

Visit site
Actually, Nunney announced it on twitter pretty soon after it happened stating there had been a serious incident and the rest of today is therefore cancelled.

They've not announced nationality though which is what starts the rumour mill.

Just seems a shame people have no concept of privacy and respect.

TGM

Visit site
At the time that OP posted it wasn't on BBC, and the publication quoted by OP was only saying at that time that there were unconfirmed reports that a rider had died. On top of that the OP refers to the very BE statement that asked for people not to comment on social media until a statement had been issued. The mention of riders nationality would make identity of the rider clear to those who knew them.

mahonenx

Visit site
I don't think you can blame the OP. Other news sites announced it that are far more likely to come up on a search that this forum.

mahonenx

Visit site
The official statement and identification of the rider involved have now been released by BE. RiP and condolences to his family and friends. Such a sad day for eventing x

TGM

Visit site
So terribly sad and thoughts go out to his family and friends. Let's hope they found out the correct way, rather than by reading rumour and speculation on the Internet.

If, God forbid, something similar happens again, I would ask people to think carefully before they go rushing to post on social media before an official statement is issued, particularly if the information they give out makes the rider quite identifiable. Organisations like BE specifically request that people should not speculate on such issues on social media for good reason - not because they are jobsworths but because they want to make sure all the relevant people are informed in the right way. Just because others choose to post unconfirmed reports online is no valid reason to repost it yourself and spread the rumours even further.

Please folks, put yourselves in the shoes of those bereaved in such a way and think how you would like to be treated if such a terrible thing happens.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Very sad, this along with the death of Benjamin Winter, and a horse - what a dreadfully tragic day for eventing :(

I personally don't think OP did anything wrong at all, relatives would not be going online to try to find out names I doubt - they would know their relation was competing at the event and I'm sure would have been informed pretty immediately. Obviously giving out a name before anyone was officially informed is totally different, but just saying someone has died isn't unacceptable.

TGM

Visit site
MM, giving out the nationality of a non UK rider at a UK event narrows things down considerably. Given that relatives and friends may possibly be horsey and therefore frequent horse forums, it seems unwise to speculate on here, particularly when you have obviously seen the BE statement that expressly asks you not too!

teapot

Visit site
MM, giving out the nationality of a non UK rider at a UK event narrows things down considerably. Given that relatives and friends may possibly be horsey and therefore frequent horse forums, it seems unwise to speculate on here, particularly when you have obviously seen the BE statement that expressly asks you not too!

That's my view on it too.

Rest in peace both Benjamin and Jordon