Nutrition advice please! Brewers yeast doesn't smell of marmite.

cptrayes

Visit site
I've got rather a lot of brewer's yeast that looks very different from normal. It's like a finely milled bran, not a very, very fine powder. It smells different and my horses don't like it.

I've checked with the supplier and they tell me it "certifies as Brewers yeast" and have asked me to try to wean my horses onto it more slowly. This is working with two, but one who will normally eat anything won't touch it.

My biggest problem is that I feed it as a broad spectrum vitamin and mineral supplement. It does not smell of marmite, and as far as I am aware the marmite smell is the smell of B vitamins. If it does not smell one iota of marmite, is it possible that it has the proper range of B vitamins in it??? Even my own multi-vit tablets smell slightly of marmite.

This is pretty crucial to me as my horses are barefoot and "performance" horses and I have 6 months supply of this stuff.

Thanks for any help you can give.

appylass

Visit site
I'm not a lot of help but my brewers yeast definitely doesn't smell like marmite to me. It is a fine powder though, mine is the Equus Health one.

maggiesmum

Visit site
I've had both types before, the first BY i ever bought was the milled stuff so I always though that was what it looked like till i came across the fine powder, can't say i've noticed any difference from it and i've not had any problems with palatability but then mine will eat anything!

cptrayes

Visit site
So it is geniune BY then maggiesmum? I can probably get them all to eat it, in time, but I was very worried that it simply wouldn't have the B vits in it that it should have.

cptrayes

Visit site
Oh good, i'm feeling happier. It's always smelt of marmite before but this lot smells sour. Made from sour beer I assume!

ezililaur

Visit site
I feed brewers yeast in the form of Simple System Total Eclipse.

That also contains seaweed and linseed though. Smells slightly nutty if anything but I think that's the linseed.

No marmite smell at all.

teddyt

Visit site
My brewers yeast smells nothing like marmite.

Brewers yeast is usually a very fine powder but if slightly old or left open to the air it can clump together. If you buy it in bulk it should come in an inner plastic bag inside the outer paper one. Check the use by date on it and make sure that the original packaging isnt damaged.

marmalade76

Visit site
The brewer's yeast I bought previously smelt of beer when I added water to the feed and my ponies loved it. The latest lot (from the same supplier) smelt peppery and my ponies weren't *een. I emailed the supplier and her reply was that she had changed her supplier. I won't be using this supplier as not only do my ponies not li*e the new stuff, her prices have just jumped up and her p&p is quite expensive so this time I've ordered some from Feedmar* (40% off with H&H and free p&p). Don't *now what it smells li*e yet as I haven't opened it, but fingers crossed!

cptrayes

Visit site
My brewers yeast smells nothing like marmite.

Brewers yeast is usually a very fine powder but if slightly old or left open to the air it can clump together. If you buy it in bulk it should come in an inner plastic bag inside the outer paper one. Check the use by date on it and make sure that the original packaging isnt damaged.

The supplier has had to change their source from Poland to Czechoslovakia and the new stuff does not come with a plastic liner to the paper bag like the Polish stuff did. It's completely different in texture and smell from the fine powder when it's wet. One clumps and the other washes into bits that look like fine bran. I believe that the Czechs are keen on sour beers and that may be why they have different brewer's yeast.

Trouble is that I feed three horses 50g a day each, and there is a very limited number of suppliers of brewer's yeast in 25kg sacks. Bought in smaller quantities, it costs a fortune.

Two of my three are eating a nearly full dose now, and the third will eat a 1/3 dose. I can use it, but I am still concerned about vitamin and mineral content. I have asked the supplier for an analysis but have yet to hear whether they have one available.

maggiesmum

Visit site
I have to admit that I don't know how genuine it is or what the nutritional content is but as I didn't notice any big change in feet or performance I didn't give it much thought. :-/

Let me know if you manage to get an analysis and i'll badger my supplier (I only buy small amounts as I don't use it quickly enough) for one too.

minmax

Visit site
How interesting, I have emailed the company I get mine from as my horses will not touch the new stuff. They had sent the wrong stuff at first then sent a bag of the 'right' stuff which they will not go near. I have wasted 3 days of feeds as they will not touch just tip over and jump in it!
I get mine from CM, if thats a help?

teddyt

Visit site
I believe that the Czechs are keen on sour beers and that may be why they have different brewer's yeast.

Beers are made with different types of grain and other ingredients so i expect that is the answer. A different country = a different product. A bit like cheese- its totally different depending on the region it comes from but its all called cheese :)

And it definitely needs a plastic bag to help keep it fresh.

Hopefully your horses will get used to the new supply

cptrayes

Visit site
My horses will now eat it, but they make faces all the time that it tastes nasty and I can't do that to them. The suppliers have been brilliant, they rang me this morning and are sending replacement light German lager brewer's yeast when it arrives next week, after they have tested it!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Mine are eating the new darker BY from CM - but they rarely refuse anything. I did prefer the smell of the old almost orange coloured one.

I too had a bag of what was BY mixed with grain and they rang me and immediately to say it was not 100% BY and sent me a bag of BY. I do trust this supplier when they say it is the same strength BY but from a different source. I will feed the BY mix in the winter but prefer full strength BY in summer as not only good for feet, but helps to prevent SI.

I feed 60 g a day - I have large hairy beasts, so always get the 25 k sacks along with my linseed as CM are the cheapest even with postage.

cptrayes

Visit site
If there is anyone in the Manchester area whose horses will eat it, then I will let you have my 50kg for half price delivered and you can send the money to Charnwood. Their service on this has been absolutely exceptional and it would be a shame to throw away stuff that other horses will happily eat.

PM me if you want it.

minmax

Visit site
I too have a sack of the sour BY, my two will not go near it. The new BY they have sourced it fine and both will eat that, so I am happy not to have to order form elsewhere. CM have been very good, emails flying back and forth.
If anyone wants the sack of the stuff mine wont eat, I'm near Henley In Arden...

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I get the Charnwood stuff but via my local feedstore not direct, I'm about to run out but what should I be looking for to make sure I get the right stuff. My current stuff is a yellowy very fine powder and smells like a pub.

cptrayes

Visit site
Criso wait at least two weeks. They have lager BY coming in from Germany in a few days which they are going to test and then start shipping. I don't think they will sell any more of the other stuff, they are having too many complaints about it. Your feed merchant may already have it of course, but there doesn't seem to be any way of identifying it from the bag. If you make them open a corner, it has no plastic wrapper, and it is a definite brown colour and it smells sour and gets much worse as soon as you wet it.

criso

Visit site
Thought I'd update to say my supplier got me a bag of this different brewers yeast, as she gets it from a feed wholesaler it's obviously old stock.
Put a usual size scoop in his feed and the tb gobbled the whole lot up. As I speak he's licking the floor in case he spilt a bit.
Don't know whether to be relieved or despair if their anything my 4 legged waste disposal won't eat.

Tnavas

Visit site
So I am confused here!

The yeast you use - is Brewers Yeast - which is the dried yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae - before it has been used for brewing beer? So why would the Brewers Yeast be any different than normal unless it had been contaminated.

One site I went tells that Brewers yeast is a bitter tasting yeast while Bakers Yeast is not.
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/brewers-yeast-000288.htm

Now this is where it gets confusing as when looking at Bakers Yeast - it is one and the same Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

HEEEEEEEEELP Please :D

cptrayes

Visit site
Brewers yeast varies depending on what alcoholic drink has been made with it. The Czech stuff that horses dislike was probably used to make sour beer, that the Czech's tend to make as far as I can tell. The original stuff was Polish and my horses loved it. The new supply is German lager beer, yellow/mustard colour with a slightly burnt smell and I know already of one horse that won't eat it. I am no longer feeding brewers yeast as I cannot guarantee consistency of supply.

Marmite costs an absolute fortune Evelyn, though you can feed it instead, as it is essentially a very concentrate version of brewers yeast.

BY will become increasingly difficult to obtain as long as the US insist on using grain to fuel their cars. It is high in protein and it is being bought up in volume as a cheap substitute for animal feed.

I have two sacks of sour Czech stuff to give away if anyone wants them!

minmax

Visit site
I have just taken delivery of some Leiber yeast, from Charnwood Mills. Its the pure stuff, not the mix I had by mistake. Its orange in colour. My two have eaten it so far... but are fussy.

criso

Visit site
Charnwood sent me a sample of the new stuff (Lieber), it's a fine powder and smells very marmitey.
Both my unfussy horse and my friends very fussy horse wolfed it down, so I will be asking them to replace my current sack with this.

cptrayes

Visit site
I might buy some, I am having problems with a known lami risk and have had to take him off the grass completely.

Thanks for the update.

Tnavas

Visit site
Even more confused now as I thought the yeast became part of the drink - or is it removeable after brewing and then dried to use for feeding. I cannot find anything on Google to explain whether it's processed.

Brewers grains I know from old are left-over from the brewing - we used to feed it at the stud I used to work on.