o god, I'm an awful snob

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
...I am working class (I think...) and am sooo not a chav. Also hate chavs on yards. It's not your class, it's your attitude, so while I see where you're coming from, I am a bit offended you think we're all Jeremy Kyle cases :rolleyes:

Would have to agree with this. Tis not what class you are in that makes you a chav its your attitude. There are plenty of rich chavs and plenty of celebrity rich chavs. Celebrity come dine with me last night had a few if these. lol.

Montyforever

Visit site
Im a chav! (by the standards most people would judge at!)
I live in a council flat in chavs-ville, most of my friends are chavs ect
My horses are on a very cheap livery yard and all my money goes on them and they never want for anything, they are well looked after.
I dont wear burbary or massive gold hoops or talk like a chav but just about everybody think they are above me because they own their own house, big car ect.
Im trying to work my way up, but if i want horses i have to go without all luxureys!

ETA - Not angry, just find it hard when people put me in with the chavs, and it happens often :rolleyes:

qwertyuiop

Visit site
but why do so many chavtastics (that incidentally have no idea how to look after their horses) have to move to my lovely, lovely livery yard? They're ruining it!

Some one tell me what an awful person I am please for being so horribly judgemental!

'tis the way of the world...

1 man's (woman's) "snobbery" is another's "standards"...

TequilaMist

Visit site
And yeah, the attitude of ' I have a horse but I shouldn't have to get out of bed early, or in anyway disrupt my life, someone will pick up after me'

Charming I'm sure!

Up here its seems to be (on most of the yard I've been on)its those with loads of money(old and new) seem to have this attitude .It irritates me because most of YO I know appear unwilling to pull them up on it.And its not because it means they can charge them cos they don't as horses are usually just left to own devices or for others to check on a diy yard.
But am sure you get that attitude from all 'classes' of people not just rich and not just 'chavs'
Agree with pastie
'Everyone should be able to enjoy be they chavs, Katie Price or any other' as long as they look after them and don't cause any harm to others

AGAGE

Visit site
The joys of being a livery!

It's been over 7 years since I last kept my boys at a livery yard and only the other day I was thinking that I missed the social side of livery yards, and being able to ride out with other people.

But I'm now remembering the reality of putting up with people who don't care for their horses properly and all the times I gave some of the neglected ponies hay and water, when a particular owner didn't turn up for over 3 months during winter. On another occasion she left left one of her horses in a stable, with no food, water or bedding for a week, needless to say myself and some of the other liveries liveries looked after it and phoned the RSPCA! I'd forgotten just how much it used to make my blood boil!

I'm now glad that me and my boys are out of it all. Thanks for reminding me of what livery yards can be like, hacking alone doesn't seem quite so bad now.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It's such a shame because I love my yard. Whenever a thread comes up about wanting to get a yard on your own I'm the only person going noooooooo. Or I was until now. I want to take all us old timers and buy a yard so we can go back to how we were :(

The trouble is that even when you have your own yard, you have no control over the neighbours.
We had a right bunch move in to a place with fields adjoining ours - they lived in caravans while they were building the 'Chav-palace' and bought a Friesian colt which they kept entire until it jumped into another neighbour's field and attacked her gelding. The husband was heard to comment "Didn't he look magnificent?" Yes his movement was spectacular but the rest of us were too worried about the elderly gelding he was trying to kill to appreciate the movement at the time.
To be fair, they are still chavvy in their dress etc, the house still looks like a 'Chav-palace' and they still make us all laugh but they have had Friesian gelded and got it a companion and have started to try to fit in, rather than thinking they've come to the backwoods and are going to show is all how 'sophisticated' and street-wise they are.
They are market-traders, says it all really!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
You are perfectly within your rights to decide what social class with which you wish to be associated.

No, you are NOt a snob.

Just what is a 'Chav'...

I would call a Chav someone who thinks it is ok to be rude, ignorant, and takes no pride in what they do or say, and is quite happy to be percieved as a 'Local Yokal'. It is someone who is happy to let the world carry them along while they sit on their arses and do nothing - EG - someone who cannot be arsed to get off their backsides and get a job. Picking cabbages is fine. Do it, and don't keep skanking my tax money.

I don't associate it with dress, or from whence you came from.

So if you don't fit in my critera, then you are not a chav.

:D

hannahmurphy

Visit site
Haha! It's great being a snob, I'm a snob and proud!

Luckily I don't have to worry about horrid people moving to my livery yard, now that I'm on a private one with just myself & my sharer :p Bliss! Can't remember a time I felt so relaxed & surprise, surprise I have the happiest horse :D

Jesstickle

Visit site
Is it chaviness or the general lackadaisical attitute that's annoying you? Because the two do not necessarily go together and if it's just the chaviness then you are a snob.

PF, it is the fact that they don't look after their horses which actually annoys me. And the fact that I am actually very friendly and always have a smile and a hello and all I get in response is grunted at.

This was all supposed to be light hearted. Of course everyone is allowed to enjoy their horses.

Spit That Out

Visit site
We've got a chav family that have just moved to our yard...

They arrived by foot from their previous field as they have no transport with 2 horses that they bought 2 months ago from a doggy horse auction.
Both the mother and her daughter are heavily pregnant (we haven't found out yet if it's the same father?!!?). The daughter came down yesterday in a pink tracksuit, tacked the larger of the 2 horses up and went for a mooch around the outdoor (no hat but nice white trainers!!!) leaving her 5 year old boy to run around the yard unsupervised chasing the cats.

I'm just expecting the staffy bull terriers & pit bulls to come down next in a Saxo with the drum and base blearing out the window.

I don't expect everyone to be able to have transport or the most expensive riding wear with a copy of Tatler sticking out of their designer handbag but honestly...

Seems like anyone with a spare £100 these days can buy a horse and YO's are so desperate for the business they take anyones money.

I make no apologies if this makes me sound like a snob.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Pastie2 you know you and me are the mature type. But you don't have to be a snob to say you don't like the way your yard is going or the way some take advantage. Why you think it should come to Class??? or money, puzzles me.

MrsElle

Visit site
For those who are unsure as to the definition of 'Chav'.....

informal , derogatory ( Southern English ) a young working-class person whose tastes, although sometimes expensive, are considered vulgar by some

[perhaps from Romany chavi a child]

pastie2

Visit site
PF, it is the fact that they don't look after their horses which actually annoys me. And the fact that I am actually very friendly and always have a smile and a hello and all I get in response is grunted at.

This was all supposed to be light hearted. Of course everyone is allowed to enjoy their horses.

Of course it was meant to be light hearted jessstickle, I am sorry if I have caused confrontation but I dont like generalisation about people, or a class of people. In my world I dont judge people by a class, I judge them as people.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com

In that case no, you're not a snob. You just don't like someone who is rude and lazy. I don't like rude, lazy people either.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Of course it was meant to be light hearted jessstickle, I am sorry if I have caused confrontation but I dont like generalisation about people, or a class of people. In my world I dont judge people by a class, I judge them as people.

Pax? :)

You're right. It isn't actually funny to generalise. I was trying to explain it is their attitude I dislike but I suppose the word chav is always going to cause a fight!

Everyone really does call me a hooray and a chinless wonder and I do just laugh but it seems socially acceptable to laugh at us 'posh' people. The one I hear most often is post t*at which isn't nice at all frankly. I'd sooner be a chav I reckon.

hannahmurphy

Visit site
We've got a chav family that have just moved to our yard...

They arrived by foot from their previous field as they have no transport with 2 horses that they bought 2 months ago from a doggy horse auction.
Both the mother and her daughter are heavily pregnant (we haven't found out yet if it's the same father?!!?). The daughter came down yesterday in a pink tracksuit, tacked the larger of the 2 horses up and went for a mooch around the outdoor (no hat but nice white trainers!!!) leaving her 5 year old boy to run around the yard unsupervised chasing the cats.

I'm just expecting the staffy bull terriers & pit bulls to come down next in a Saxo with the drum and base blearing out the window.

I don't expect everyone to be able to have transport or the most expensive riding wear with a copy of Tatler sticking out of their designer handbag but honestly...

Chuckle :p

JumpingJellyBean

New User
Visit site
Im a chav! (by the standards most people would judge at!)
I live in a council flat in chavs-ville, most of my friends are chavs ect
My horses are on a very cheap livery yard and all my money goes on them and they never want for anything, they are well looked after.
I dont wear burbary or massive gold hoops or talk like a chav but just about everybody think they are above me because they own their own house, big car ect.
Im trying to work my way up, but if i want horses i have to go without all luxureys!

ETA - Not angry, just find it hard when people put me in with the chavs, and it happens often :rolleyes:

Oh come on Montyforever, don't be so hard on yourself. Life is full of circumstance and although some of us strive hard to alter this, we have to have some pleasure in our lives. Yours is clearly you love for horses and whilst you have these money munchers, you will find it hard to move up the property ladder. Your saving grace is the fact you clearly care for your horses and put them first. Your attitude makes you No chav. You sound a lovely person and you can liver at my yard anytime ~x~

skint1

Visit site
I'm working class in fact I live in an ex council house on a council estate but I don't think I am a chav. I agree with those who've said "chav-ness" is not about social class, it is about attitude, and although I can't put it into words I know exactly what you mean when you say "Equi-chav" what a great term!

But I have to say all the equichavs I know do look after their horses pretty well. They're just so *confident* about their knowledge and skills that sometimes they don't phone the vet when I might have, they don't care so much whether tack fits well and don't mind cutting corners by using a crap farrier because he's cheap and things like that, but usually the horses are well fed and attended to, if that makes sense.

pastie2

Visit site
Pax? :)

You're right. It isn't actually funny to generalise. I was trying to explain it is their attitude I dislike but I suppose the word chav is always going to cause a fight!

Everyone really does call me a hooray and a chinless wonder and I do just laugh but it seems socially acceptable to laugh at us 'posh' people. The one I hear most often is post t*at which isn't nice at all frankly. I'd sooner be a chav I reckon.
Jess, you must always be yourself and feel confident with that. People with confidence never mention class or posh or chavs. We are us and should feel comfortable with it. Class is only in your mind. Snob is also a dreadful word it reeks of insecurity of feeling better than the other. Judge people by their behaviour, not their class!!

DottyConnection

Visit site
This post is completely ridiculous! I'm educated and would call myself middle class (only thanks to having parents who worked hard!) yet I also wear pink velour tracksuit bottoms, have been known to ride in trainers and uggs and certainly ride without a hat at times. However, these are my Horses and I am free to enjoy them how I please without a jumped up idiot like you calling me a chav... I am far from it, yes my tan may look similar to something from 'The only way is Essex' but I am training to be an EDT (I would hope that you; as a respectable Owner, will know what that is!) and have qualified for Miss England 2 years running not to mention having show jumped at National Level.... However, you'd look straight past that if you saw my wardrobe and perhaps my taste in music!

chessy

Visit site
No you are right, class would never have put a post up like this in the first place. Everyone should be able to enjoy their horses be they chavs, Katie Price or any other.

I have to agree with pastie on this one.

Not a chav fan but I am "working class" and would like to boot the class system out of the UK and judgemental people out of the horsey world!