O M G.... i need help!

chunklovescooks

Visit site
Rode Bob this evening, well afternoon actually, we moved yards on monday to a lovely new place, ive ridden him tues-weds-thurs-friday for 90 mins each day, doing what i would usually do, walk, trot, canter, poles etc but yesterday i noticed he was incredibly excitable... and today even moreso his energy just seems to be building up and up! at this rate.. i wont be able to sit on him by the end of the week! :O i think i will lunge him tomorrow... but dont have a cavesson, where would be the best place to attatch the lunge-line? bridle, headcollar etc, he is currently living out (as he was at the last place) i'm really worried that im going to lose my confidence if i dont sort his energy out soon!

Cheers.

S

merlinsquest

Visit site
If you dont have a coupler ..... thing that goes on both bit rings with a ring in the middle of it...... then attatch the lunge line to the outside bit ring.... pass it over the head and thread the line through the inside bit ring and then to your hand..... He sounds like he is getting fitter
shocked.gif

kerilli

Visit site
i'd lunge in a bridle, put the end of the lunge line through the bit ring from the outside, up and over the poll, back down the other side of the face, and back through the other bit ring from outside to inside, then clip on the inside bit ring. this keeps it pretty stable, bit won't be pulled through or anything.
when you change direction you have to take it off completely and start from the other side, but it's worth it.

chunklovescooks

Visit site
I'd seen that done at my old yard, but didnt want to mess up ^^ owh god yeah! that means he doesnt run out of steam as easy
laugh.gif
only problem at the moment aswell as his livelyness is his willingness to please, yet his previous schooling let him down, as he thinks leg means "GO" whereas i want him to bend and become more lateral moving!

S

Jade2007

Visit site
Maybe there's more protein in the grass at your new yard? If you have a stable then you could bring him in for a few hours each day. Consider cutting down his feed if he has any aswell.
I would use a bridle because I find with my boys that headcollars slip round a bit when I lunge with them. Most people I've seen lunge in a bridle attach the lunge line on the opposite side of the bit, over the head and through the closest side of the bit. Not sure if that's the right way because I use a lunging cavesson. Or you could long line (if he doesn't kick!).

chunklovescooks

Visit site
i never really like the idea of long-lining although i may try it, i seem to understand the different way of attatching the lunge line, is there a big consequence if i do it wrong? lets say go from the inside instead of out?

S

mystiandsunny

Visit site
Just think about it logically - the rein needs to be coming out of the bit ring nearest you, to your hand. I find it easiest to thread the clip part through the ring nearest me, then over the head, then clip it on to the other side.

If you do it the wrong way round you'll notice really quickly!