Oats or Barley

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am currently feeding my guys haygates conditioning cubes, but am thinking of changing them to something else as I don't think they are working too well. My TB has dropped weight and although my ISH is holding weight, neither of them are 'blooming' as much as I would like - if that makes sense!

I was thinking of switching to either oats or barley, but am not sure which would be better for weight gain? I realise that either might give more energy too, but I am increasing their workload now, so should be able to work any extra energy off. Or perhaps there are some other suggestions of good feeds, I have looked, but get rather confused by the sheer number of feeds about :eek:

Currently they are fed the following (split into 2 feeds):
1 kg conditioning cubes
1 kg Speedibeet/ Alfabeet (TB has speedibeet currently but thinking of switching to alfabeet)
0.5 kg grass nuts

They also have 10 kg haylage at night (stabled) and 4 kg hay in the day - I bring them in from field for this. Turned out from 7am to 5/6 pm daily.

Thank you in advance :)

be positive

Visit site
I would not restrict the haylage at all if they are dropping weight but give as much as they will eat overnight and give linseed or oil to add some extra calories without adding bulk, if you stop the cubes and give oats/ barley they will require a supplement to give vits/ mins that are lacking in the diet although I would think they are not getting the recommended amount of the cubes to really gain condition or give a full amount of vits and mins, possibly reduce the beet as it is low calorie and increase the grass nuts or change to alfalfa pellets which are higher calorie until the grass comes through.

Giving a 3rd feed each day may help or putting the hay out rather than bringing them in during the day so they can pick at it whenever they want.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Thank you for your reply :)

They have been on this all winter, and it's just recently that she's started to drop weight. Although they have been ok on this, they have not been brilliant on it, which is why I thought about changing. I've been trying to give them as much as possible, but not going over the 2% of bodyweight a day amount, but will cut down the beet and up the cubes and grass nuts to see if that helps.

I can certainly up their haylage overnight, but as they are on group turnout I can't really put any out in the field.

maccachic

Visit site
That's not much in the way of calories (current feed). My TB did brillantly on Oats (whole) he loved them feed a good supplement and you can adjust the quantities of oats as you need to. After years of trying most feeds under the sun to get weight on mine the oats started working as I was transitioning him, my paddock mate asked what I had done to him he was loking so good, wish I had taken before and after pics. There are a couple of pics in my album tho of when I got him and when I sort feed and feet and muscles :)

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I admit that the thought of feeding straights, rather than a prepared feed was another reason why I've been thinking about swapping.

Gorgeous horse too :)