Obedience competition - what to expect?

Karran

Visit site
So Mrs Collie and I have been talked into entering our clubs show in a few weeks. We are dipping our toes in with the introductory class. The class levels all sound very confusing with Introductory, pre-beginners and beginner classes!
I'm hoping that it will be a good experience for her, she's been to a couple of flyball and agility shows now so I'm expecting it to be a lot more sedate and hopefully give her pause for thought that not every show environment will involve bombing around at a million miles an hour and LISTENING is actually needed!
I've never done an obedience show before, so not really sure what to expect. I know most of my exercises can be done on lead if needed which I might opt for depending on how fried her brain might be.
But what else do I need to know or prep for?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
While you can give much more handler help, I would rate KC obedience as much harder to do and with more environmental challenges/distractions than, for example, IGP obedience.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
German, very formulaic, only two dogs on the field at a time and quite far away from each other. KC obedience can have a lot of variables thrown in and the dogs are much closer together for things like down stays etc. Although this may have changed with Covid. Having said that if she can cope with agility I am sure it will be fine.

satinbaze

Visit site
Check out www.obedienceuk.com there is a beginners guide on there. They also have an active facebook group where plenty of advice is available. A number of clubs also run a mentoring scheme for beginner handlers. Your best bet is to firstly report to the secretaries tent and ask for help. If you are "drawn" in the running order then you have to go in that order but after the first 10 dogs you can normally run when you want within reasonable limits.
Good luck, enjoy and don't forget to let us know how you do

Karran

Visit site
Not sure about agility - we spent our two competitions doing zoomies and failing to get over more than the 1st jump. But agility training goes well! Hopefully she will cope!

@satinbaze thank you for the tip about running order. I've asked to join the facebook page.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Usual procedure is to first find your ring. The score table beside it should have the list of competitors on it. You may find an envelope with the numbers in it. Take yours and tick your name off on the list. This has to be done within an hour of the start time.

Karran

Visit site
Bumping this to report!

We may have had a sudden panic attack in the ring and her eye were on stalks so heelwork was no where near what she does in class but we had no lunging, snapping or chasing to report AND we got a 4th place (out of 22) and Best Member in Class.

That's the last of Mrs Collie's adventures this year. For a dog that struggles with the environment around her I'm so proud of what she's achieved. Now to do some bootcamp work with her and Mrs Spaniel over winter and get out and about early next year!

clevercocoa.png

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I gave Rally-O a try at our club. Not sure if it was just the trainer but I really didn't get on with it. Mind you if I had still had my obedience dog I might have liked it better. My current two are well behaved but have never done formal obedience training and would be completely out of their depth in a competition as they don't do close heelwork.

Karran

Visit site
What is Rally-o?

I'm not sure I have time for more dog adventures between this, flyball and agility, plus horses and working fulltime! ??