Obese horse in last weeks H&H??

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I'm pretty clueless about showing, bone, conformation etc. but in my opinion, several of those horses are definitely on the porky side. The roan certainly looks seriously obese! It's frightening!

amandaco2

Visit site
i would feel ashamed to take a horse out in such fat condition. almost all the horses look utterly horrendously fat to me...
i wonder if ANY of them have any ribs easily felt?!

only_me

Visit site
Strapping is basically the same as hacking or clapping which are human massage treatments (and probably horse as well but dont know) called tapotment (sp).
This action is used to stimulate the muscle by provoking a reflex and causing a contraction (the tremor you see when you do it) within the muscle which then strenghtens the fibres up so that the entire muscle is strengthend creating "tone".

Thats what ive been taught anyways! :)

Last edited:

cloptonpartridge

Visit site
I have to admit that i've only seen they grey in the magazine and to me it looked very fat. I have just spent a year getting my cob to lose waight and he was not as big as that to start with. Big bones and fat are totally different and they should not be used as an excuse

cloudandmatrix

Visit site
yes- i think that although some were bordering on fat- the roan and bay should have been asked to leave tbh- that is disgraceful :mad:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Looked at the link finally too..none of them look obese tbh for showing anyway

They are grossly overweight - to a horse. I'm amazed that anyone would think any different.

As for removing the image because of copyright - surely you can't breach yourself? Isn't this H&H?:eek:

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
Only just caught up with this thread - what a split of opinion!! Firstly, sorry H&H I assumed as the picture was in your magazine it would be ok to post it on your website.

Ok, so, some more points to raise - firstly, I admit to not looking at the results, I just assumed from the write up and the fact that the picture was in H&H the horse had won, as it appears it did not, why on earth did H&H print the picture? I am sure there were far better pictures to print, or did the owner/rider know someone at the magazine? It seems very odd, nearly every picture printed in the magazine is of a winner, I can't remember seeing a second placed horse pictured before, although I am sure they have been.

As for the person who commented that the international, respected judges obviously know a lot more than us stupid lot that have not shown at top level, I beg to differ - judges are under a huge amount of pressure to conform to standard, and keep the regular competitors happy. A prime example of this was the East of England show last year - those that were there and saw the class in question will remember it. It was the hunter mare and foal class, where there were approximately 15 mares entered. Some of the mares and foals were immaculately turned out - two really caught my eye, and obviously stood out head and shoulders above the rest. However, a very well known breeder/producer claimed both the mare and foal title, despite showing a mare that was so skinny you could see all her ribs, and the exhibitor themselves wearing jeans! Yes, jeans in the showring! Nearly every other competitor left the ring and threw their rosettes on the ground. The judge was a hugely respected international judge, but are you telling me that he judged that horse on merit? Just because we have not been to HOYS or RIHS does not mean we cannot see an obese/overweight horse stood in front of us. Would you want to be the judge who threw a well known rider/producer out of the ring for riding an overfat horse? Can you imagine the backlash? The rider/owner would write to the society, who, in an effort not to upset the "name" would probably caution or even strike off the judge. I would love to be a judge, but I would judge what I see in front of me, not the person on top/holding the reins, and that would make me very unpopular.

As for those who are happy to say this horse is not overweight, or those who say, yes he is overweight, but it is fine as come the winter he will be back down to a good weight - does that make it ok?? He is NOT a healthy weight, I don't care what anyone says, and those who think he is must be burying their heads in the sand! This is exactly the attitude that has caused all these problems in the first place! Wake up and LOOK at the pictures/horses - they are overweight/unhealthy, and could not do the job that they are being 'shown' for, ie, future eventers/hunters etc.